Votes: 3 50.0%
  • LG W2353V-PF

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

AMW1011

Distinguished
The LG is cheaper and has HDMI. I guarantee that they both use the same panel and will look almost identical, most of these new budget 1080p monitors are all using the same cheap panels. It is also VERY disappointing that the Samsung lacks HDMI, that is a definite no-no for 1080P+ monitors in 2010.

I will post the best product for you once I find the best price.

AMW1011

Distinguished

A bit higher of a price though, it might not fit the OP's price range. This would however:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049

It has nothing more than the other monitors he listed and the monitor you listed has no real advantages either. The panel used in these monitors is bottom-of-the-line, so they are all very similar.

Well if you are just looking at specs, you're ignoring the additional outputs and increased resolution. All other things being equal, I'll take 1920 x 1200 over 1080 every time but let picture quality "into the picture" so to speak and it's a whole new ball game. The price is a bit more, but money well spent IMO.

dougie_boy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
spend a bit more on the monitor. you have spend $$$ on the i7 and a brand new 5870 only to use a middle of the line monitor to view the results of your labour.

have a look at a 24" HP which is a cracking screen.

marney_5

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

Yep that is very true most do have the same panels!!!

i love the samsung monitors and TV's but i didnt realise that Samsung monitors lack HDMI.

AMW1011

Distinguished

Right, but it doesn't really offer anything major. It is a bit bigger, but has a smaller pixel density. What I meant was that it uses a very similar or near identical panel as the other monitors.

magneezo

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2005
Go for the big boy!
With all of this talk of Eyefinity I'm starting to wonder beyond PC monitors into HDTV's and what a super widescreen could do in place of 3 monitors. Think about it.
This may not be it here but if my Father in Laws TV is any indication it's a super widescreen that cost him close to $2000 just a couple years ago.
Prices are definitley getting more reasonable now
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+BRAVIA+32%22+Class+/+1080p+/+60Hz+/+LCD+HDTV/9761129.p?id=1218168619794&skuId=9761129

Equilibrium

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
I will have to start looking at Asus again. That Dell SP2309W is pretty sexy as well. My limit has a hard ceiling of $300 (because I decided to splurge on a 5870) so I was just looking at some decent TN panels.

I thought the P2350 was a pretty good deal even though it lacked an hdmi port. Pardon my ignorance, but aren't dvi and hdmi roughly similiar in terms of video quality?

PS - Sorry for posting this in the graphics forum ... I didn't know there was a computer peripherals - monitor section but I am glad I posted here because of the awesome replies!

magneezo

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2005

Damn man I paid $149 for my KDS (emachines) 20" HD Monitor last year and have yet to buy the cable. Duh!

It us certainly true that there are very few actual panel manufacturers and many panel vendors produce models using panels shared by a number of vendors. But if it's bigger, has different density, different resolution, it's clearly not the same panel.....it's a bit of a stretch to say every 1920 panel in production is "nearly the same" especially when made by different factories.

The Samsung model uses the 23"WS TN Film (Panel No. LTM230HT01) from Samsung

The Asus Model uses the 26"WS TN Film (Panel No. M260J3-L01) from CMO

AMW1011

Distinguished

You misunderstand what I mean by the "same". They are slightly different, yes, but they are all based on the same newer mainstream TN-panel. The resolution is easily changed, but the other specifications such as viewing angles are not. The only point I was making was that there will be no picture quality difference between any of the mentioned monitors in this thread besides the pixel density.

Well all I can say is that, in my experience, I have not found that to be the case. Walking into a BestBuy store and seeing 30 monitors side by side, they all do not look a like. Everyone uses the same basic "cola" recipe but to my buds, they don't all taste the same.

There's also the issue of circuitry, power regulation and control which is why Eizo monitors, made with the same panels as monitors costing half as much, can command the prices that they do.