Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need help choosing a new monitor!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share

Which monitor do you prefer?

Total: 8 votes (3 blank votes)

  • Samsung P2350
  • 50 %
  • LG W2353V-PF
  • 17 %
  • Other
  • 34 %
February 24, 2010 12:23:36 AM

Hello,

I am building a new computer (i7 with a 5870, woot) and need some help picking out a new monitor for gaming. I have narrowed it down to these two but any other suggestions are more than welcome.

Samsung P2350
http://www.frys.com/product/5979304?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN...

LG W2353V-PF
http://www.frys.com/product/5871753?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN...

More about : choosing monitor

a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2010 12:45:09 AM

The LG is cheaper and has HDMI. I guarantee that they both use the same panel and will look almost identical, most of these new budget 1080p monitors are all using the same cheap panels. It is also VERY disappointing that the Samsung lacks HDMI, that is a definite no-no for 1080P+ monitors in 2010.

I will post the best product for you once I find the best price.
Related resources
a c 229 U Graphics card
a c 75 C Monitor
February 24, 2010 1:15:47 AM

AMW1011 said:
It has nothing more than the other monitors he listed and the monitor you listed has no real advantages either.


Well if you are just looking at specs, you're ignoring the additional outputs and increased resolution. All other things being equal, I'll take 1920 x 1200 over 1080 every time but let picture quality "into the picture" so to speak and it's a whole new ball game. The price is a bit more, but money well spent IMO.
February 24, 2010 8:29:15 AM

spend a bit more on the monitor. you have spend $$$ on the i7 and a brand new 5870 only to use a middle of the line monitor to view the results of your labour.

have a look at a 24" HP which is a cracking screen.
February 24, 2010 8:41:03 AM

AMW1011 said:
The LG is cheaper and has HDMI. I guarantee that they both use the same panel and will look almost identical, most of these new budget 1080p monitors are all using the same cheap panels. It is also VERY disappointing that the Samsung lacks HDMI, that is a definite no-no for 1080P+ monitors in 2010.

I will post the best product for you once I find the best price.



Yep that is very true most do have the same panels!!!

i love the samsung monitors and TV's but i didnt realise that Samsung monitors lack HDMI.
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2010 9:36:40 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
Well if you are just looking at specs, you're ignoring the additional outputs and increased resolution. All other things being equal, I'll take 1920 x 1200 over 1080 every time but let picture quality "into the picture" so to speak and it's a whole new ball game. The price is a bit more, but money well spent IMO.


Right, but it doesn't really offer anything major. It is a bit bigger, but has a smaller pixel density. What I meant was that it uses a very similar or near identical panel as the other monitors.
a c 229 U Graphics card
a c 75 C Monitor
February 24, 2010 1:28:53 PM

marney_5 said:
Yep that is very true most do have the same panels!!!


Many do......but not in this case. A 1920 x 1200 vs. 1920 x 1080 for one is a dead giveaway.
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2010 1:31:18 PM

I have the same monitor JackNaylorPE was suggesting the asus 25.6 inch I picked mine up thru Logic buy for 239.00 Love it no dead or stuck pixels..
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2010 1:46:31 PM

Go for the big boy!
With all of this talk of Eyefinity I'm starting to wonder beyond PC monitors into HDTV's and what a super widescreen could do in place of 3 monitors. Think about it.
This may not be it here but if my Father in Laws TV is any indication it's a super widescreen that cost him close to $2000 just a couple years ago.
Prices are definitley getting more reasonable now
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+BRAVIA+32%22+Class+/...
February 24, 2010 1:48:01 PM

I will have to start looking at Asus again. That Dell SP2309W is pretty sexy as well. My limit has a hard ceiling of $300 (because I decided to splurge on a 5870) so I was just looking at some decent TN panels.

I thought the P2350 was a pretty good deal even though it lacked an hdmi port. Pardon my ignorance, but aren't dvi and hdmi roughly similiar in terms of video quality?

PS - Sorry for posting this in the graphics forum ... I didn't know there was a computer peripherals - monitor section but I am glad I posted here because of the awesome replies!
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2010 1:54:46 PM

Equilibrium said:
I will have to start looking at Asus again. That Dell SP2309W is pretty sexy as well. My limit has a hard ceiling of $300 (because I decided to splurge on a 5870) so I was just looking at some decent TN panels.

I thought the P2350 was a pretty good deal even though it lacked an hdmi port. Pardon my ignorance, but aren't dvi and hdmi roughly similiar in terms of video quality?

PS - Sorry for posting this in the graphics forum ... I didn't know there was a computer peripherals - monitor section but I am glad I posted here because of the awesome replies!

Damn man I paid $149 for my KDS (emachines) 20" HD Monitor last year and have yet to buy the cable. Duh!
a c 229 U Graphics card
a c 75 C Monitor
February 24, 2010 2:07:34 PM

AMW1011 said:
Right, but it doesn't really offer anything major. It is a bit bigger, but has a smaller pixel density. What I meant was that it uses a very similar or near identical panel as the other monitors.


It us certainly true that there are very few actual panel manufacturers and many panel vendors produce models using panels shared by a number of vendors. But if it's bigger, has different density, different resolution, it's clearly not the same panel.....it's a bit of a stretch to say every 1920 panel in production is "nearly the same" especially when made by different factories.

The Samsung model uses the 23"WS TN Film (Panel No. LTM230HT01) from Samsung

The Asus Model uses the 26"WS TN Film (Panel No. M260J3-L01) from CMO
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2010 7:10:10 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
It us certainly true that there are very few actual panel manufacturers and many panel vendors produce models using panels shared by a number of vendors. But if it's bigger, has different density, different resolution, it's clearly not the same panel.....it's a bit of a stretch to say every 1920 panel in production is "nearly the same" especially when made by different factories.

The Samsung model uses the 23"WS TN Film (Panel No. LTM230HT01) from Samsung

The Asus Model uses the 26"WS TN Film (Panel No. M260J3-L01) from CMO


You misunderstand what I mean by the "same". They are slightly different, yes, but they are all based on the same newer mainstream TN-panel. The resolution is easily changed, but the other specifications such as viewing angles are not. The only point I was making was that there will be no picture quality difference between any of the mentioned monitors in this thread besides the pixel density.
a c 229 U Graphics card
a c 75 C Monitor
March 5, 2010 3:35:23 AM

Well all I can say is that, in my experience, I have not found that to be the case. Walking into a BestBuy store and seeing 30 monitors side by side, they all do not look a like. Everyone uses the same basic "cola" recipe but to my buds, they don't all taste the same.

There's also the issue of circuitry, power regulation and control which is why Eizo monitors, made with the same panels as monitors costing half as much, can command the prices that they do.
!