Closed

Sabertooth x58 cpu power plug cap

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • CPUs
  • Power
Last response: in Motherboards
October 31, 2010 11:41:43 PM

Yesterday I finally caved and bought the components for my new gaming pc. I would have finished already but I had a great halloween party to go to and am working today. When I started to put it together I ran into a bit of confusion.

The CPU power plug on the motherboard is an 8 pin. However there is a cap overtop of four of the pins. You can see this easily in the first photo on the bottom right of the board.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-tuf-sabertooth-x58-r...

It comes off easily enough and my psu's cpu power plug is a 4+4 pin connector. In the mobo's manual I can't find anything about this cap. I'm wondering what it's purpose is? Am I safe to remove the cap and plug in the full 4+4 plug? I've built a few pc's in the past but never encountered anything like this.

Here are my full specs
I7 950
Radeon 6870
Sabertooth x58 mobo
G.SKILL PK Series DDR3 1333MHz 3x2GB at 7-7-7-18
2x 1TB Western Digital 7200RPM 64MB Buffer in a Raid0 array
NZXT Whisper Classic case

I can't wait to play Empire Total War

More about : sabertooth x58 cpu power plug cap

Best solution

a c 717 V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2010 11:49:48 PM

Use the 8-pin and pull-off the cap. Particularly if you ever OC.

Some old or new PSU only have a 4-pin.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2010 12:40:57 AM

^+1. Even if not OCing, just use the 8 pin.
Score
Related resources
June 14, 2011 9:47:16 PM

jaquith and shadow70379 got it right. I just wanted to add that the cap is for dust protection in case you only have 4 pin ATX cable. But as far as I know its always better to give all the power possible to the board by using 8 pin EPS cable, especially when you're using power hungry cpu like my Core i7-975
Extreme Edition.

Its funny because I found this post thinking that ASUS Sabertooth X58 (that looked like nice board for my 975) had only 4 pins, since on every picture I looked at there was a cap that looked to me like a capacitor or something. Now thanks to c_for and his post I know that it has 8 pins.
Score
March 11, 2012 3:56:54 PM

Best answer selected by c_for.
Score
a c 329 V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2012 12:14:14 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!