Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Next-Gen AMD Processors

Last response: in CPUs
May 15, 2010 9:20:24 PM

Hello Everybody,

When AMD's Orochi processors, using the 32nm process come out [http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/amd_cpu_roadmap_upd...], do you think they will still use the AM3 CPU slot?
I'm building a computer and want to have my motherboard be as future-proof as possible.
How far away do you think they will be released?

FrPSh

More about : gen amd processors

a c 680 à CPUs
a c 122 À AMD
May 15, 2010 9:41:33 PM

I believe it will be a new socket.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2010 4:32:46 AM

The Thuban did not even appear in this 2008 roadmap from AMD and yet it came out ahead in terms of # of cores versus their 2010 roadmap.
http://firingsquad.com/hardware/amd_cpu_roadmap_update_...
I think it speaks well about AMD's execution.
At this time, I suspect that AMD's CPU roadmap is different altogether.
m
l
Related resources
May 16, 2010 5:06:23 AM

So how long has the Phenom II x4 series been out?
m
l
May 16, 2010 5:19:11 AM

I guess if I'm going to build a computer this summer anyway, I'm going to need to buy an AM3 processor (or go with Intel, but I'd like to keep the price down) since that's all that's available.
So the question would be, how long is this processor (Phenom II x4 3 Ghz) going to last me?
I have a feeling it will work fine (i.e. be able to handle most high-end games) for a year or 2. What do you think? Updating my graphics card can really boost game performance in the future, and the processor is not usually as important. Overclocking will also boost performance.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2010 7:07:20 AM

FrPSh said:
I guess if I'm going to build a computer this summer anyway, I'm going to need to buy an AM3 processor (or go with Intel, but I'd like to keep the price down) since that's all that's available.
So the question would be, how long is this processor (Phenom II x4 3 Ghz) going to last me?
I have a feeling it will work fine (i.e. be able to handle most high-end games) for a year or 2. What do you think? Updating my graphics card can really boost game performance in the future, and the processor is not usually as important. Overclocking will also boost performance.

As I look into your configuration below:

Intel E6600 2.4 Ghz Dual Core
HIS HD 4890 1Gb (iCooler x4)
2x1GB G.Skill RAM
160 GB Seagate HD
640 GB Western Digital Caviar Black HD
500W Antec Power Supply
27.5 in. Hanns-G LCD
Windows XP 32-bit
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

It can probably last you another 2 years. I got the same Video Card and its more than enough for my gaming needs.
Yes, just OC your E6600 ( probably need to invest in an after market cooler - a hyper 212 will be nice ) unless you got an Intel motherboard which is crap for overclocking.
... and bring up your RAM to 4GB and you will be set.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
May 16, 2010 7:22:56 AM

FrPSh said:
Hello Everybody,

When AMD's Orochi processors, using the 32nm process come out [http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/amd_cpu_roadmap_upd...], do you think they will still use the AM3 CPU slot?
I'm building a computer and want to have my motherboard be as future-proof as possible.
How far away do you think they will be released?

FrPSh
Your using a very old roadmap. It has changed somewhat over the last few years.

There is no question that Bulldozer, AMD's next generation architecture will work on AM3. AMD says it will. Its in the new roadmap. And AMD is DEAD reliable when it comes to socket compatibility. So yes, as long as your MB manufacturer provides bios updates, it will work.
May 16, 2010 8:44:58 PM

randomkid said:
As I look into your configuration below:

Intel E6600 2.4 Ghz Dual Core
HIS HD 4890 1Gb (iCooler x4)
2x1GB G.Skill RAM
160 GB Seagate HD
640 GB Western Digital Caviar Black HD
500W Antec Power Supply
27.5 in. Hanns-G LCD
Windows XP 32-bit
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

It can probably last you another 2 years. I got the same Video Card and its more than enough for my gaming needs.
Yes, just OC your E6600 ( probably need to invest in an after market cooler - a hyper 212 will be nice ) unless you got an Intel motherboard which is crap for overclocking.
... and bring up your RAM to 4GB and you will be set.

Yeah, I realize that my system now is very good. And it still can play pretty much anything on high settings.
But the computer is sort of shared between my two brothers and I, and that system was built by someone else, not myself.
For a while, I've really wanted to build a system myself for the experience of building one, and also for usefulness when it comes to being able to play games at the same time as my brothers, as well as LAN parties (which I'm very much into).
So you're right, with the computer we have now we are completely fine, but I feel that I have sufficient funds, and I am looking more for the experience of building, troubleshooting, and possibly overclocking a new system, as well as having another good computer to play head to head multiplayer games.
I've already bought the case - but I will consider a bit more carefully if I really want to do this. Thanks for the advice.

Yep, that 4890 is a beast!
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 17, 2010 12:19:30 AM

Ah... "the build your own PC itch"... It never left me even when I have built 5 PC's. :) 

Two for myself and 3 for my friends... Not much compared to the experts here who build PC's for a living...
m
l
May 17, 2010 2:05:58 AM

I know, I wish I could build computers as a job. That would be awesome.
m
l
May 24, 2010 1:27:56 AM

Best answer selected by FrPSh.
m
l
!