Sign in with
Your question

Gaming Computer - Build Critiquing

Last response: in Systems
March 8, 2010 3:14:22 AM

Hello,

SSo, I have a build for a gaming computer I'm looking to buy really soon. I plan on purchasing all the parts by Monday of next week.

Here's my wish list of parts I will be purchasing.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

So now I'm looking for build advice. If you feel anything is wrong with that build, you can change it up and post it back, but I really want to stay below $1500, including shipping costs.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within two weeks. BUDGET RANGE: No higher than $1500

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, movies, surfing the Internet

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keep the parts in the wishlist. Keep the keyboard, mouse, and monitor I chose.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg

PARTS PREFERENCES: I prefer Intel CPUs. I was told the i5 will do great in this build, so maybe we can work around that. nVidia or ATI cards will work. I don't mind.

OVERCLOCKING: No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe someday

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like a PC that can run the new high end games that have been coming out on max setting and with a good frame rate. This build looks like it will do it, I think, but any input will be great. I want to have decent airflow so nothing overheats and I also want to make sure the card I have will fit in the case. I hear these new cards are really big. I also want to know if 750W is overkill for this system. I heard I could step down to a 650W.
March 8, 2010 3:30:09 AM

here are a few first time builder options for best bang 4 buck yeah:

http://www.tomshardware.com/theme-build-your-own,156.ht...

m
l
March 8, 2010 8:04:21 AM

You can switch to this mobo: ASUS P7P55D-E Pro, it has U3S6 features for some future proofing.
Take the money saved and invest in faster RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

You could also go for the stock version of the 5850 and OC yourself but that's your call...

Since you intend to add another 5850 down the road 750 sounds about right... also that case will fit the 5850 no problem...
m
l
March 8, 2010 5:53:11 PM

Bump for anyone else to comment.
m
l
!