Sign in with
Your question

Need Advice on Building a New PC with Dell XPS 420 Parts

Last response: in Systems
March 8, 2010 3:21:24 AM

Hey guys, first time PC builder here, looking to use some parts from my currently broken Dell XPS 420 to build a new PC.
I'm hoping to get some more years from the parts I will be salvaging before I move on to an entirely brand new PC.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Next 2 weeks

BUDGET RANGE: $500 - $800 Before or After Rebates is OK

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Occasional Web Design, Web Surfing

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor and various parts from my XPS 420:
---1. Processor (Q6600)
---2. Memory (4GB DDR2 800)
---3. Optical Drive
---4. HDD (Already have 2 SATA drives but I may buy an third)
---5. OS (Windows 7 Pro x64, not the original OS installed on the Dell)
---6. Peripherals

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference, best quality for the price

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe (since I've read a lot about the overclock ability of the Q6600 but could never do it with the Dell)

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe (looking into the possibility of running 2 8800GT's but I need a proper cooling solution for that)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: None. Looking for a long lasting power supply but unsure of how much wattage I should go for. I'm also looking to run the majority of games at max settings under 1680x1050 so any recommendations on video cards would be appreciated. I currently have a 512mb 8800GT from the Dell XPS that I plan to use. Also looking for some recommendations for aftermarket coolers for both processors and video cards.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've taken a look at a couple of the articles in this forum and am somewhat interested in the following:

Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Motherboard:
---1. ASUS P5Q SE PLUS LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
---2. ASUS P5N-D LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
---3. GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Power Supply:
---1. Antec earthwatts EA500 500W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.2 80
---2. CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V
---3. CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V
March 8, 2010 3:39:05 AM

You will like the Antec 300 case. Get another 120 mm fan to go in the door. Also get an after market cpu cooler so you can overclock more safely.

Also get this thermal paste to replace the thermal paste on your cpu cooler before you install:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Go with the Corsair 750 watter due to the final price being the same and it should allow you more upgrade room in the future without having to replace the power supply.

Someone else can recommend to you the best motherboard. I'm too sleepy to go any further, lol...

March 8, 2010 3:48:18 AM

Ah thank you for reminding me that I was also looking for some suggestions on some aftermarket coolers for both the processor and the video card that I currently own. I do indeed plan to get some Arctic Silver since that seems to be the norm for a lot of people building PCs. Woops just realized the rebate for the 750 expired yesterday. It still looks like a good one though I'm not sure if I'll be needing the extra wattage for a single video card. Though I would guess running 2 cards in SLI or Crossfire would require it.

On a side note, would a case fan on the Antec 300 intrude on the PCI-E x16 slot on most motherboards that fit into the case?
Related resources
March 8, 2010 3:44:19 PM

So I think for sure I will be going with the Corsair 750W PSU and since there is an Antec 900 case for only about $10 more it looks to be a solid choice over the 300, at least based on the number of reviews and the rating at Newegg.

I looked around at some CPU fans and came across the ZALMAN 9500A and while it looks like it does its job well I am a little worried about the spacing in a case since I also plan to buy a heatsink for my video card.

In terms of the motherboard, I've read some reviews about the ASUSP5N-D board and how the nForce boards tend to get a little hotter then most, can anyone confirm that?
March 8, 2010 4:28:59 PM

The 9500 will fit fine depending on the motherboard you go with. There are a lot of good cpu cooler choices that will do a fine job. Ill try to get back later and post u some if no one else does it 1st...
!