Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$1,000 Best Gaming Setup - WTB now?

Last response: in Systems
March 8, 2010 3:59:32 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Would like to buy asap.
BUDGET RANGE: $1,000 or less After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, movies, internet, etc

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Don't care

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe?
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe (depends if it's cheaper/fans still keep it cool/ etc than 1 expensive gpu

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200 (42" lcd 1080p tv)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Don't care how loud it is, or anything. Just want an upgradeable, good gaming pc that's under 1k. Wanting to play Aion with max settings, not Crysis with max settings...... So it doesn't have to be a "super computer", just has to be able to play most normal games at max settings or close to it. Also, if there's room for upgrading then that's fine, I can upgrade it later to reach that "potential."

More about : 000 gaming setup wtb

March 8, 2010 4:20:26 AM

Intel Mainstream System Hardware Component Price
Processor Intel Core i3-530 (2.93GHz x2, 32nm, 4MB L3 Cache) $120
Cooling CPU Retail HSF $0
Video PowerColor Radeon HD 4850 512MB $100
Motherboard ASRock H55M Pro LGA1156 Micro ATX $95
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB DDR3-1600 F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL $105
Hard Drive WD Caviar Blue 500GB WD5000AAKS $54
Optical Drive Sony Optiarc Model AD-7240S-OB 24X DVDRW SATA $28
Audio Onboard $0
Case Cooler Master Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Mid Tower ATX $55
Power Supply OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W ATX12V SLI Certified, CrossFire Ready, 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC (before $25 Rebate) $65
Base System Total $622
Display ASUS VH226H Black 21.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen 16:9 LCD (1920x1080) (before $20 Rebate) $170
Speakers Cyber Acoustics CA-3090 26W 2.1 Speakers $21
Input Microsoft B2L-00045 Comfort Curve Black USB Keyboard and Optical USB Mouse - OEM $22
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium OEM 1-Pack (for System Builders) $105
Complete System Bottom Line $727

Does this look like a good build or am I better off getting the build on the "$1,000 Gaming Computer *Complete Build*" thread?

EDIT: OOPS, forgot....Don't need the speakers, display, or input devices. Also I have a 500W psu that's about 5-6years old....could possibly reuse that....
m
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
March 8, 2010 7:40:01 AM

CPU + Mobo
AMD X4 955 + GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HDD + Free HDD Dock
Samsung F3 1TB - Very fast and efficient...

CASE
NZXT M59

HD 5830

PSU - Corsair 750TX
So that it opens up the option to add 1 more HD 5830 later on in crossfire...

OS

Total - $1005 | $965 Including rebates
This is a very powerful setup that I had given...If you are not an intense gamer, then you can save money by dropping to a less powerful CPU/ GPU...
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
March 8, 2010 7:52:51 AM

$104 for Win 7 HP 64
Comes to about $900 before rebates
m
l
March 8, 2010 11:26:14 AM

Anyone agree with these setups or have better ideas?
m
l
March 8, 2010 5:24:09 PM

Why does Dell suck so much also? Checked to see what my discount was and even with a $130 dollar discount i'm paying $1,169 for this.......

My Components
CHASSIS COLOR Cosmic Black, Alienware Aurora Chassis
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7 920 2.66GHz (8MB Cache) Quad Core Processor
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1 Year Basic Service Plan
VIDEO CARD Single 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTS 240
MEMORY 6GB Triple Channel 1333Mhz DDR3
HARD DRIVE 500GB - SATA-II, 3Gb/s, 7,200RPM, 16MB Cache HDD
OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability

Gkay's setup might not be bad, not 100% sure how great it is though and Batuchka's looks like a screenshot of a setup that could possibly be 5months or older.

Trying to build or find a decent place to get a 1k or less gaming computer is not easy lol. Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?
m
l
March 8, 2010 5:55:55 PM

Gkay's setup is probably close to the best of what you can do for $1000 and I would recommend a nearly identical build, save for my case preference. Batuchka uses screenshots to easily format his recommended builds for people asking help; you, in this case. It is not a 5 month old setup, made obvious by the CURRENT newegg discount prices :) .

Like I've suggested, I'd go with the 955 build. You get an extremely current motherboard with the 890 chipset, giving you several upgradeable options, such as adding sata 6gbps / usb 3.0 parts in the future or crossfiring. The 955 chip itself is tried and true and a monster if you have any interest in overclocking. The 5830 will last you awhile for the game preferences you have listed, with a dual card setup possible if you even need it.

Regarding the prebuilt computer... one of the advertising strategies of big name companies is to emphasize key components, the i7 920 in this case, while throwing in generic and low budget parts. Since your here on the forums, I'll take that as your first step away from that and into building your own rig :D . Good luck.
m
l
March 8, 2010 6:33:59 PM

Should I settle with the 5830 or should I just spend a little extra and get a 5850?

Also, I see that 2 4850's cross-fired outperforms a single 5830 and is about 20 bucks cheaper. Was there any specific reasons why you settled with the 5830 as the best choice? I do see that the 4850's don't support dx11 but seems to be about it.

Seems like the 955 is a good setup, my main requirements would be hdmi port to plug into my 42" tv, playing at max resolution (1900x1200 or whatever it is) and max settings for games like WoW, Aion, and other games. (Maybe other ones in the future but atm not really interested in any of the intense graphics games out), as long as it can do all that i'm happy.

Also sorry about the comment on the picture setup, just was a little weary up droppin my money on a setup from what looked like a photoshopped picture of hardware, I appreciate you offering that setup as a choice. Thanks, Vz for telling me.

Gkay would it be worth it to get a small but same speed HDD than the combo you have listed or would I be hardly saving any money?
Also is the cooling good enough with this? Will I need to add in more fans or using other alternatives to keep this cpu from overheating?
m
l
March 8, 2010 8:04:51 PM

Similar to gkay's build but with a better gpu/psu but slower ram/smaller HD

note: all prices include shipping

DVD burner: $26
LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM

HD: $55
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

PSU: $90 w/promo code ($70 after rebate)
Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE ... - Retail
(^purchase immediately, a better deal anytime soon is highly unlikely and this one may sell out)

MB/RAM combo $225
GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
and
A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333G (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model AX3U1333GB2G8-AG - Retail

CPU/GPU combo $450
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGMBOX - Retail
XFX HD-585A-ZNDC Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) XXX Edition 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported ... - Retail

MICROSOFT GFC-00599 Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit Software OEM
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...

Total: $946 ($926 after rebate) w/o a case

That leaves $54-$74 for a case of your choosing. Personally, I like the CM Gladiator 600 in that price range but the M59 is also a nice case.

Gladiator 600 case: $63 shipped
http://www.buy.com/prod/cooler-master-gladiator-600-cha...

m
l
March 8, 2010 10:30:21 PM

Any way to replace that with an i5 or i7?

I hear those blow the older amd/intel cpus away. Is it worth it and how much would I be adding to the total?

EDIT: I guess the i5/i7 is only if I was to do some major multi video editting, virtual boxes, gaming, etc all at once. As the AMD's should be equivilent as long as just limit it to 1-2 things at a time correct?
m
l
March 8, 2010 11:44:16 PM

Just wanting to make sure I don't cut myself short on upgrading down the road. Anyone see anything they would change or that might be a better option? Hoping to buy this cpu within the next day or two.

I could cutoff the OS...and get it through my company as my 1 allowed personal license. Would that open up any windows for major improvement?
m
l
March 9, 2010 12:02:24 AM

Yes actually, if that were the case you could step up to a Radeon HD 5850, which is a decent jump in performance. Either that or you could step up to a Core i5 setup, which is probably more worthwhile. Your pick, depending on what you will be doing.
m
l
March 9, 2010 12:09:32 AM

It will mainly be used to play WoW and Aion on max settings and resolution on our 42" tv for my wife and I. That and possibly other games in the future, but my main concern is having WoW and Aion look the best they possibly can and run the best they possibly can without spending an arm and a leg.

Not sure if the i5 would really be used a ton if it's main difference is just multi-threading since if either of us are using it, it will mainly be just to play games on the tv or watch movies on the tv (blu-ray maybe?)

Better video card would be great if it will noticeably help. Not sure, just wanting to make sure I'm going with the right setup before I throw it all in a cart and click buy either tonight or tomorrow. :) 
m
l
March 9, 2010 12:22:29 AM

If this is strictly for gaming, then I would stick with 955 and upgrade to the 5850. You would way more performance from a AMD 955 BE w/ 5850 than with a i5 and a 5830. The 5830 is more geared to the 5770 than the 5850.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5830,2564...
You can look around in the review for more info. If you do get an i5, which is $40 more than the 955, then youll have to replace your motherboard with an intel one which is going to be another $30 or so to get a decent mobo. So why not spend less and get a better GPU because games are way more GPU intensive than CPU intensive now, except for a few RTS's.

The i5 is amazing chip and if you can afford it with a 5850 than by all means get it, I have nothing against intel but with your budget you might want to get the 955 and a 5850. If you had another $150+ or so then I would recommend an i5 build with a 5850 which is about as good as you can get gaming wise.
m
l
March 9, 2010 12:25:48 AM

What games AM I going to be shooting myself in the foot with though? Not up-to-date on most of the RTS's but might be interested in some... I agree though and I'll probably go with the amd and 5850, anyone got any other suggestions? Or is this pretty much the best I can do at the moment without going over 1k? (case wise, hdd wise, etc)
m
l
March 9, 2010 12:30:58 AM

well the reason why alot of people are recommending the 955 is familiar similar in gaming performance to the i5 750 and i7 920 but fall quite a bit behind in encoding, video editing, and other productivity application

but since your primarily using it for gaming, and other media activities, such as blu-ray, dvd music, the 955 will perform just the same as any other high end cpu, but the extra money saved with a phenom can be used from more gpu power,
personally i would go with something besides a 5830, either a 5850, or at the roughly the same price
2x 5750 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
for $224
m
l
March 9, 2010 12:32:57 AM

The build I suggested already had a 5850 in it, a factory overclocked one at that.
m
l
March 9, 2010 12:33:20 AM

ohh sorry just realized that i tagged an open box item
m
l
March 9, 2010 12:36:12 AM

So would everyone agree that Logan's build with fastx21's suggestion of better ram (cas7 that he linked instead of what Logan's had) would be the best available build for me at the moment?
m
l
March 9, 2010 1:00:09 AM

Not sure what a MIR is exactly..

So I guess Logan's build is out of the question....hmmm. Maybe I should wait a week or two?

EDIT: Ahh silly me, MIR = Mail in Rebate. I googled "MIR" and got a bunch of non-computer stuff and thought it was some type of refurbished hardware or some underlying company lol.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
March 9, 2010 2:20:31 AM

@kysus Logan's reworked build is very good except that the mobo is sold out now...
As for your question of going with 2x HD 4850s, WoW doesnt support crossfire AFAIK so it would only utilize a single HD 4850...So going with a single powerful card would be better...
And a single HD 5850 would max out the games that you want to play at 1080p and am sure you will be more than happy with that card...And also I highly doubt you would even need to crossfire that 5850 as a single card can even handle current games at High settings at that resolution...

As for the HDD, that Seagate is also good, but I felt that with a Free HDD dock, that Samsung was a very good deal and that too it is one of the fastest 7200RPM drives out there...especially that 1TB one...

As for the RAM, IMO you wont notice much difference between those RAM sets in real world performance...
But if you can take into account the MIR, then the Squirrel15's RAM option is very good...
m
l
March 9, 2010 3:05:43 AM

^ It looks like Newegg is out to get us today. The 1TB Spinpoint F3 has now disappeared from the site just like the 500GB version did a few weeks ago. It's a C-O-N Spiracy. :pfff: 
m
l
March 9, 2010 3:39:24 AM

Yes, if you can fit a 5850 in your budget, then by all means; do it! But realize that at 1980x1200/1080p AND considering the general genre of games you have mentioned (MMOs, RTS right?), then even a 5830 would be a valid choice. I should also note that more so than FPS games, MMOs are cpu-intensive. So an awesome 955/i5 pulling its share of work in prime time Dalaran would be as important as a video card is in Crysis.

Not that you should skim on your video card... just stating that the disparity between the importance of your CPU and GPU is not as wide in Crysis (GPU being largely more important) as it is in WoW/Aion. RTS games are also system forgiving as well. If you go with what has been recommended in this thread, you will be able to run the next great RTS game, thinking starcraft 2, smoothly as well.

Both the 7200.12 and Spinpoint f3 have 500gb dense platters and are the creme of the crop at the 500gb/1tb levels. Either is fine and the differences are marginal and only applicable if you want to be really anal about min/maxing based on application.
m
l
March 9, 2010 3:47:16 AM

Nooooo!!!!!! (Ok, got the drama out of the way)
Yeah, was gonna hop on that hdd + dock combo and it's gone. Guess i'll order the psu and hold on the other stuff till the mobo comes back in? That sound reasonable or should I go ahead with some of the other parts also?

(It's hard to part with my money atm, got 1,000 with a little bit of leeway to go over that mark but better off if I do this carefully and not make any airhead purchases...)
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
March 9, 2010 3:58:02 AM

^ Yes...order the PSU now as its a good deal...As for the rest of the components, those can wait...
Which case have you selected ? If it is that NZXT, then you can save $5 by ordering before 10th...
m
l
March 9, 2010 4:25:50 AM

So I guess the NZXT comes with 9 extra fans weighs about 3lbs less and has a pretty little night light.

"Included 9 fin NZXT fans rated at 42CFM and 23db" - on their specs list

While the Cooler Master has the side hdd bays which makes it a heck of alot easier to access the hdd's. But costs 13.00 more....

Think the NZXT might be what I go with....

UPDATE: Ok, I purchased the Antec PSU and the NZXT case, after rebates looks like I've spent 134.94. Please keep me updated on the other parts? Thanks a ton also guys, can't wait to get everything in and build this crazy thing. :) 
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
March 9, 2010 4:55:19 AM

^ That case doesnt come with 9 Fans - Please re-read that...It says it comes with fans that have 9-Fins
That case comes with 2 fans only...
So both the case come with 2 fans only...

And even the NZXT has side HDD bays if I can see correctly...

Another good case with 3 120MM fans
CM 690

Or as you will be waiting for some days to buy the rest of the components, see if you get any deals on this case...
CM HAF 922 - It has very good airflow, easy bay access, and mainly the space inside the case...It can even fit the longest graphics card out there - HD 5970...

Or you can check out even the Lian-Li K62
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
March 9, 2010 5:24:11 AM

Kysus said:
It will mainly be used to play WoW and Aion on max settings and resolution on our 42" tv for my wife and I. That and possibly other games in the future, but my main concern is having WoW and Aion look the best they possibly can and run the best they possibly can without spending an arm and a leg.

Not sure if the i5 would really be used a ton if it's main difference is just multi-threading since if either of us are using it, it will mainly be just to play games on the tv or watch movies on the tv (blu-ray maybe?)

Better video card would be great if it will noticeably help. Not sure, just wanting to make sure I'm going with the right setup before I throw it all in a cart and click buy either tonight or tomorrow. :) 

To answer this question that seems to have been ignored, there isn't a huge difference between the AMD Phenom II X4 955 and the i5-750.

The i5-750 has the same number of cores as the Phenom, and the i5 does not do hyperthreading. These two models compete almost directly with each other.

Take a look at this head-to-head comparison. The Phenom is better on some measures, and the i5 is better on others. On a couple of benchmarks, the i5 smokes the Phenom, but for the most part, they're competitive. Notice that they received the exact same scores for Fallout 3, and nearly identical for Crysis (and the i5 scored almost 50% higher on Far Cry 2 for some reason).

You can do just about as much multi-tasking with the Phenom as you can with the i5. I don't have any idea how well each overclocks, but at least at stock, they're not all that different. The i5 is probably a little better overall, but it's not 5x better or anything even close to that.

Right now, AMD is the king of value at the low end of the market. Intel owns the high end of the market. If going with AMD means that you can get better graphics cards, go for it. If your budget is such that you can afford an i5 and not skimp on the graphics card, feel free to go Intel.

It's all about getting the best value for your money, at least until you can afford to throw $3k at your build, and then, hey, anything goes. Get a fancy sweater for your case, buy hard drive coolers, get a gaming NIC, just get crazy at that point.
m
l
March 9, 2010 5:38:31 PM

Now I just need someone to keep an eye out for some good deals on some great hardware for me if anyone is willing.

I bought the case and the psu, so both of those are down. Just got the rest to go :) 
m
l
March 10, 2010 12:21:14 AM

Just make sure to use combos where possible. I bought a certain case and psu I didn't really consider but after rebates I'll get them both for $140.

That's a very nice case and a 700w modular psu for $140.
So bargains can be had.

And I'd hardly consider AMD to be low market, certainly intels are that much faster but we're talking about going 200 mph vs 210 mph, marginal if you ask me.
I got an Amd Phenom II x4 955 and I couldn't be happier. But I agree get what best fits your budget.

And regarding HAf922, it is a nice case and I fit my 5850 card in there very easily. Infact there's plenty of space to fit the 5970 if you did spent the money for such a video card.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
March 10, 2010 2:27:00 AM

fastx21 said:
And I'd hardly consider AMD to be low market, certainly intels are that much faster but we're talking about going 200 mph vs 210 mph, marginal if you ask me.

Not really sure what you thought I meant.

What I'm saying is that you get the best value for your money with AMD at the lower price points. Intel's lower budget offerings just don't compete with AMD for performance.

However, once you start talking about $200 processors, it's time to switch over to Intel, as AMD doesn't really have anything that competes beyond that point.
m
l
March 24, 2010 12:11:44 PM

Best answer selected by kysus.
m
l
!