Does the LG Portable Super Multi Drive require installation software

1xpcwright

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
I had to replace my hard drive and I cannot find my installation disk for my LG Portable Super Multi Drive. I'm wondering if I need one. I save all my installation disks and can't find an installation disk for this external drive. I can't find the answer to this anywhere. Even the LG site does not support this product. They just do phones.

Thanks

Isaiah4110

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
If the drive connects through USB then it is most likely plug-n-play. You shouldn't need any installation/driver discs. See if you can find your drive at LG's site here if you want to be sure.

Usually the only discs that arrive with optical drives are cheap OEM versions of burning software, and most of what you will find for a drive at the manufacturer's website are firmware updates.

1xpcwright

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Thank you Isaiah4110. It sounds right to me and may explain why I don't seem to be able to find an installation disk. I'm just having a problem with my DVD burner software finding it to burn a DVD. I can play DVD's but I can't burn a DVD. The LG website is not very useful. I sent them an email, but they never responded. Thanks again. I'm sure you are correct.
PCW

1xpcwright

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
I finally got a response from LG regarding my question. I believe the response answered my question directly. That exchange with LG is below. I am somewhat concerned by the implication that not all writable DVD's will work, e.g., Memorex (which happens to be what I have a pile of). What else is not compatible? So, as instructed, I purchased one of the most highly rated DVD Burner Program, albeit expensive (Aimersoft DVD Ripper for Windows), [I checked with Norton and it said it was safe and it is approved by MS], and attempted to burn some home videos to a DVD. It seemed as though I was doing it right (find the source, find the target, hit
Start"), but nothing got burned to the DVD, even though it seemed to indicate that it was. So, while the answer I received from LG was very good and informative, I am still sitting here with years of digitized home movies I want to burn to DVD's for my siblings and children and an expensive burner and burner program, but no DVD's burnt, or is it burned. I haven't given up. In fairness, LG gave me a number to call, but I don't know if this is a LG problem now. If I find a solution, I will try to relocate this thread and add how I did it. Please do not hold your breath.

03/27/2012

Thank you for contacting LG Electronics

------Reply to Your Inquiry-------

Dear Peter,

Thank you for contacting LG Electronics. We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused. The LG drive can be used with basically any playback or burning software. You should make sure that both USB cables are connected to your PC, because this could be the reason why the drive isn’t recognized by Windows when burning. You should also verify that drivers are installed. From Windows, go to the Control Panel, access the Device Manager and check for an option called DVD/CD-Rom Drives. If the LG driver is listed, but has an exclamation mark and an error code in the driver details, please follow the instructions on this Microsoft Knowledgebase article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116 for removing filters in your system registry. Only do this if you have the error code detailed above. Please avoid using Memorex discs as well, because these are not compatible with our LG drives. You should try using the recommended media:

Hopefully this resolves the issue. If you have other questions or concerns related to our products, please do not hesitate to contact us again either via email, or by calling our customer service division at 800-243-0000 at your convenience.

Jonathan B.
Customer Interactive Center
LGEAI

Reply Options:

Reply by Live Chat
Click here to chat live with LG Customer Service
(Weekdays, 8am-8pm CST)

Reply by email

-----------Original Customer Inquiry------------
Received Date : 03/26/2012 18:24 46
The type of inquiry : Software/Hardware updates
Product/Model No. : CD/DVD storage/GP08NU6B

Does my LG Super Portable Multi Drive require special installation software? I can play a DVD on it, but my DVD burner software won't recognize it. I have a Dell XPS 400 running Windows XP SP3. I also have a Dell Inspiron Laptop, also running XP SP3. I use this portable drive on both. If it requires software, can I download it from your website somewhere? I have heard that Windows already has the drivers for this Multi Drive. I have also heard that you have to have LG Software that comes on a disk to install it. If a disk came with it, I do not remember it. My burner software is Aimersoft DVD Ripper for Windows. If I do not need installation software, is there something I need to do to get my burner software to recognize it?

Thanks,

XXXXXXXXXX

The following survey will be used for the improvement of LG service only.
Please feel free to give us your frank feedback.

How would you rate the e-mail response on the following?

Very dissatisfied

Dissatisfied

Moderate

Satisfied

Very satisfied

If you are not satisfied with the answer we provided

Please do not reply back to this e-mail message as this address is used for outbound messaged only

In accordance with the Act on Promotion of Information and Communication Network Utilization and information Protection, etc.; this e-mail is being sent only to those members who, as of April 12th, 2010, have agreed to receive mail from LG.com.

LG Customer Service