FERMI finally Unleashed! For me? Hell yeah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-fermi-gf100-pax-east,9729.html

March 26!!! Man I just bought a Sapphire 5850 two months ago but I will get rid of it as fast as I can or leave it with my current system for web browsing and HD content. Ive already saved up for this ridiculous card, but I dont know if it will cost more than 400 as Im already getting an X58 and a new cpu as well just for this FERMI!

How many of you are building a new system JUST for the FERMI GF100 GTX4xx series?

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
You are, hope that PhysX reinvigorates your Crysis.
liquid=uninformed newbie.

Really, you're gonna buy a card before it is released? Let's see what you don't know:
Performance
Price
Power-consumption
Thermal Output

facepalm.jpg

This is the 3rd? 4th? 5th? Fermi thread you have made? Will you marry Fermi?

Why would I? I've yet to find a game in which my pair of 4870x2s comes even close to difficulty. I might upgrade around the 6000 series (or equivalent NV part) if a good DX11 game comes out, but until that occurs, I see no reason whatsoever to upgrade.

Oh, and if you have a 5850, you'd be a moron to upgrade. Especially given the likely prices of the Nvidia GTX400 series. What on earth do you hope to gain?
(And keep in mind that Crysis does not in fact use PhysX)

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Im just getting it so I can build a new system. If the gtx470 is arond the price of a 5870 then it will be decent enough to get, thats $450-500. I might even sell of get rid of the 5850 since for some reason my Bioshock doesnt even work now. I downloaded all the updates, drivers, ect, for some reason bioshock keps on blacking out and freezing. This never happned with the 9800gtx+. I re-installed the game and it was the same problem as well.

You are aware that the 5850 isn't even the same scale as what the GF100 card will be, right?

Now, had you bought a 5970... You still have a faster card, for less money, and available many months earlier than fermi, with tested and stable drivers, ...
At this point, that's impossible to say. Nobody but Nvidia engineers know exactly how fast GF100/Fermi is at this point.

Absolute fact? No. Very strong possibility ? Very much so.
The 285 beat the 4890
The 5870 is double in size, as is Fermi over 285 plus a lil more.
5970 is double the 5870, so itll be more than Fermi, more than likely, almost certainly

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

What does that really have to do with anything?

It is not so damned black and white. If I can get two of something that in the end give me more performance, less price, and better efficiency why on earth would I not compare that to the single larger item?

I mean one could easily compare performance of the cards on a transistor/performance ratio... In the end what the heck does it mater how many GPU's this is on? Granted a single fast GPU is generally better for many reasons... but there is no reason what so ever that a dual card 'has' to be faster than a single card, or that the comparison of two smaller something is invalid because it is two of something. That is ridiculous.

And it's the 5970... I know you know that, but at least get the number right before you rant about how it doesn't count ;).

^^ Was thinking of the 4890, and crossed it with the 5970; my bad on that;

You can't compare dual-GPU cards, simply because of scaling factors across different game engines, and the different scaling between SLI/CF. Its silly really. I just find it funny that the 480 is being seen as a "failure" if it can't beat a 5970...

nrnx

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Calm down people calm down. Graphics cards are graphics cards. As long as they get the job done WHO CARES?! lol. I like both Nvidia and ATI, but have ATI at the moment, maybe next generation that will switch back to Nvidia, whose last card I had was a 7900 I believe before I upgraded to the 4850 then to 5770x2

Price+Perf
Just like when gamer said he wasnt impressed with the 5870 because it didnt beat the 295? And said everyone expected it too?
Well, it is beating it more often than not nowadays, with better drivers, but it all comes down to price/perf, so, if Fermi is cheaper than the 295 or 285, itll compete well with the 5870 and the 5970 as long as the perf is there as well

marney_5

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Why would anybody rush into spending a s**t load of money on a GPU they know nothing about!!!

All ive seen of this Fermi is a couple of boxes with 470 & 480 stamped on it and 1 with the heatsink taken off. Isnt this GPU going to be released any day now?

Do Nvidia think they can sell a product when their cutsomers know nothing about its capabilities or do they think that we will blindly rush and buy it because it's "new"!

No, I said that the performance increases some people were claiming the 5000 series would get wasn't achieved. I also pointed out the downright disappointing DX11 numbers [which are still very wishy/washy, and one of the things im waiting most for on the 400 series]. The cards prices made sense at launch, but not at their current pricing.

Yeh, you're gonna need a new PSU just for Fermi :)

I'm hoping to see new motherboards that can disable the Fermi cards when not in use. Since they've just announced laptops that use this technology (Optimus) it's just a matter of time.

To be clear, Optimus uses an onboard graphics chip and if you have add-on graphics cards they send the video signal through the onboard chip (not bypassing it). When you start a game the cards turn on and start running automatically and then shut off COMPLETELY when not needed.

Onboard graphics might use about 5Watts. A high-end dual-card setup might idle at 60-> 100 Watts. It's not just power, it's also noise.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

Don't be so harsh builderbob. I've an Asus 480 on pre-order, it will be interesting to say the least! Oh i also commisioned my own nuclear powerstation to power it too, cool huh?

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Haha no thanks! Comon it will be fun, well for me at least. I'm really not about this whole, getting THE most optimised card based on performance and price etc. If that was the case we'd all end up getting the same card more or less (or at least the same one for each price/performance category, enthusiast, mid range, etc). Variety is the spice of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.