XP won't boot

I've had XP on my computer for months. Lately, when I turn on the computer,
the XP screen comes up, then just when it's supposed to be the login screen,
the computer just stops. I can't do anything, it won't continue. Someone said
it may be that programs are starting through my start menu that I don't want
starting, in the script. What do I do about this? It happens 1 out of 3 or so
times I turn it on. Anyone help?

Time to check for spyware, adware, virus and trojans. Use these sites
http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/