noise reduction on digital camera purely post-processing?

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
November 29, 2004 3:11:43 PM

HI

I have a konica minolta dimage a2 which has a 'noise reduction' function
which activates when the shutter speed is slower that 1 second. I was
wondering how this works: is it purely some kind of spatial filter that
could just as well be applied in post processing, after the picture has
been taken, or is there some active thing going on, while the picture
is being taken, like for instance some kind of averaging.

Reason I want to know is that I sometimes apply a trick to get low-noise
images when photographing still objects: I take a number of identical
images and then average them, so that the noise averages out. The question
is should I take these images with 'noise recuction' on or off. If the
noise recution function is just a spatial filter, it just blurs the images
and thus it could best be turned off. If it does someting more than that,
It could be better to turn on. Maybe I should just test both cases, but
I was just curious about how this works.

Jos
November 30, 2004 12:36:11 AM

josvanr@xs4all.nl (jos) wrote in

> Reason I want to know is that I sometimes apply a trick to get
> low-noise images when photographing still objects: I take a number of
> identical images and then average them, so that the noise averages
> out. The question

I recently took some photos of a moving subject on a lighted stage in a
dark auditorium. The results (at 800 iso) were really noisy, but that was
the only way I could get decent shutter speeds.

I used the trial download of neatimage and it worked a lot better than I
was expecting. For these particular images, it was a lot better than
anything I could do using other techniques.

Bob

--
Delete the inverse SPAM to reply
Anonymous

jos wrote:
> HI
>
> I have a konica minolta dimage a2 which has a 'noise reduction'
> function which activates when the shutter speed is slower that 1
> second. I was wondering how this works

Does it double the time to take a photo? If so, it is most likely dark
frame subtraction (q.v.).

David
!