gunthersun

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
What causes power supply smoke? Mine was smoking and It turned my computer off. I figured out I could get it to turn back on if I removed the small CMOS round battery, but then the PSU REALLy started to smoke. What do I do to fix this??

Your power supply is dying. Well, I would have considered it dead the moment the smoke appeared but you got it working again for a few seconds lol.
Either the power supply is crappy brand and it simply died, or your system drew a lot more power than the PSU is capable of providing and apparently there was no proper protection in place... so I guess either way it was a crappy power supply.
Anyway, whatever you do, do not try to use the power supply again. Hopefully it didn't damage any of the components already. Buy a new power supply for your system as a replacement. If you provide us with your system specifications, we can help you choose an appropriate one. You'll probably be looking at $40-70 depending.

gunthersun

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
My current power supply powers the computer and runs just fine if I remove the CMOS battery. I guess there's some protection temperature stuff built into that? Anyways it puts out a crap load of smoke and smells like crap.

I have a feeling there is a ball of lint or something that got inside of it and is burning maybe? Or maybe a wire touching something and causing a short / massive heat. How do I send the PSU back to OCZ for repairs? I want to open it up myself and diagnose the problem, but when I started to remove the last screw, there was this annoying "VOID WARRANTY" sticker that I would have to remove.

So... How do I send it back to OCZ? How do I see what is covered under warranty?

Here is my newegg invoice from when I purchased the computer

Well my room smells like complete *** now from the smoke so I am going to shut down, air out the room, and check back tomorrow. Thanks

QUICK EDIT: If getting a new PSU is my only option, Should I get the same PSU or is this breakdown a sign of this PSU not being enough for my computer?? My Budget is $120 and I would prefer something very quiet as this is the company's recording studio workstation.

11-119-137 CASE CM|RC-690-KKN1-GP BK RT

$79.99

$79.99
12-119-254 ROSEWILL RC-6-HDMI-MM-BK-2 HDMI 6FT

$14.99

$14.99
12-816-052 CABLE NIPPON|USB-6-AB-BK R

$4.89

$4.89
13-128-374 MB GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P 1366 X58 R

$259.99

$259.99
Gigabyte (626)-854-9338 option 4 www.giga-byte.com

14-102-824 VGA SAPPHIRE 100245HDMI HD4850 512M

$99.99

$99.99
17-341-019 PSU OCZ|OCZ700SXS 700W RT

$79.99

$79.99
For Tech support call: 408 986 8400 or email support@ocztechnology.com

19-115-202 CPU INTEL|CORE I7 920 2.66G 45N R

$279.99

$279.99
Intel (800)-628-8686 Please Verify Processor matches order Prior to installation. IMPORTANT: Always pack you CPU well for return. We will refuse your RMA if we received it as DAMAGED!

20-227-331 FLASH 4G|OCZ FLDRV OCZUSBDSL4G R

$12.99

$25.98

20-227-365 MEM 2Gx3|OCZ OCZ3G1600LV6GK R

$99.99

$99.99

22-136-319 HD 640G|WD WD6401AALS %

$74.99

$74.99
This item is serviced by the Western Digital. Please call 800 832 4778 for service.

OCZ Technology Group offers a 3 or 5 year PowerSwap Warranty on all PSUs

All OCZ Power Supplies feature an exclusive warranty that allows you to "swap out" a defective power supply, without the need to wait on the repair of your defective unit. Simply return your defective product and we will send a new one in its place! This eliminates the hassle of return-for-repair loops that other companies put you through, saving you time and ensuring you will receive a 100% hand tested, fully functioning unit as a replacement. Your defective power supply can be returned for replacement at any time within the specified warranty period. All replacements are guaranteed to operate without issue and to full specification. Please view your product page for the most current warranty terms. Recertified power supplies purchased from an authorized reseller carry a one-year warranty.

IMPORTANT NOTE: PowerSwap does not automatically entail a cross-shipment. You must send in your defective product for evaluation with our support staff or setup and advance RMA before we are able to ship a replacement.

The product was properly installed and used in its recommended environment. OCZ Technology shall make the final determination as to the existence and cause of any defect. Under no circumstances will OCZ Technology be liable in any way to any purchaser for any damages, including but not limited to lost revenue, wages, or any other incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use OCZ Technology products.

The following will not be covered by our warranty:
Power supplies physically altered by the end user or that our staff determines were not manufactured by OCZ Technology. Only products that are purchased from authorized resellers will qualify for warranties and service/support. All OCZ Warranties are void for products within or destined to Cuba, Iran, Sudan, Syria or North Korea. OCZ cannot provide technical support or replacements for those products.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/support/warranty/

gunthersun

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009

that isn't an applicable analogy. :( These things are mass manufactured parts. A certain % can and WILL fail even if they make it past QC.

Anyways I got the same exact one again, and it is running great. OCZ's RMA service is outstanding. Thank you

logan the huge

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
SteathXstreams fail more often than average due to their mediocre build quality. They also have higher than average levels of AC ripple that on some models even exceed ATX specification before full load is reached:
Here's the very similar GameXstream(same platform: FSP Epsilon/Everest):
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=24
But, if you're happy with OCZ's service then feel free to keep buying their products.

Henry Chinaski

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
The OCZ SteathXstreams 400W is a very good entry-level power supply. This CWT PSU can deliver its labeled power at below 50 º C. Moreover, It has a high efficiency of up to 85% and very low noise and ripple levels.
I would recommed it for a mainstream computer with a simple video card without no doubt.
About the SteathXstreams 700W (by FSP) I can't give an opinion.

Sort of disagree with Henry. When I'm looking for an entry level PSU, I reach for a Corsair 400CX.

Although low ripple under load is one of the signs of a good PSU; within limits, very broad limits, ripple is not that big of a deal.

Most of the 12 volt output is used by the CPU and GPU. There, it's converted to lower voltages by PWM regulators. 3.3 volts feeds the memory where the same thing happens.

The 5 volt output powers the digital logic.

Digital logic can tolerate a lot of ripple. Years ago, when I was in the Army, I worked on the HAWK Air Defense System. The old fire control computer had an unregulated 5 volt power supply producing around 5.2 volts. Some of them had as much as .5 volts ppk. ripple.

Henry Chinaski

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
The Corsair CX400, the VX450, the ANTEC EarthWatts 500 (EA500-EC), the ENERMAX Pro82+ II 385W and the SEASONIC S12 II 430w are another excellent entry level PSUs.
I agree with you that Corsair CX400W (by Seasonic) is an excellent product. Its efficiency is peaking almost 84%, the ripple and noise are amazingly low and it presents a maintained excellent voltage regulation throughout. Acoustics is the only aspect of its performance which is not remarkable (although it's quiet at low to medium loads). All this with a warranty period of three years.

baylinerman

Honorable
May 15, 2012

hey man can you tell me whats going on with My GateWay tower we had a power outage and i didnt have a surge protector so when i got home i went to turn on the tower and nothing happend so i went out and im learning here and there i still need to learn more but never had this problem so i went out and bought a power supply for like 100 something dollars it was a nice one with blue led fan cant remember the make but i hooked it up and it smoked i thought when the power went out it blew the power supplies could it have done anything else i think my old power supplies was a 550 watt and the 1 i bought was a 600 watt is it possible that i hooked up the 8 pin wrong or maybe it wasnt all the way snapped into place anyways any help would be great

Did you force an 8-pin PCIe power connector from the power supply into the motherboard's 8-pin CPU power connector? If you did that would short out the +12V rail and release the magic smoke.

baylinerman

Honorable
May 15, 2012
ya i do remember it being a little stiff going into the 8pin connector from the power supply going into the 8pin into the mother board its all good i knew something was wierd why it wouldnt go in smoothly all just go get another 1 and make sure it goes in smoothly this time so what do u think i guess 1 of the prawns got bent in the connector ?

The connectors are suppose to be keyed so that it prevents this kind of problem. But if you really force the 8-pin PCIe connector into the 8-pin CPU power socket on the motherboard you can cause the socket to deform enough to allow the connector to be inserted partially or all of the way.

Check the pins in the 8-pin CPU power socket on the motherboard to make sure that none of the pins have been bent.

Hopefully you have not burned out any of the copper traces on/in the motherboard. That would be an expensive lesson.

baylinerman

Honorable
May 15, 2012
ya i hope when the power went out that it didnt fry the pins cuss it fried my BFG 550watt power supply i dont know i wasnt home to see it i was at work i install cieling lights and install recepticles and do maintnance work i have learned a little in the computer area but not a lot i learned the hard way ha ha ha i know how to install and take out a AMD or whatever processor now taking out ram is easy now after doing it the wrong way lol i know how to do some stuff but sounds like u know way more then me i really appreciate the help even if my mother board did get fried it teaches me something and i just learn more im also good at saudering though cuss i got into RC Boating so i got to learn how to SauDer and Fix Batteries and stuf like that actually the power also took my nice 120hz LCD tv out which i have ordered the right fuses for it and there on there way so far the only thing ive fixed is my subwoofer for my sorround sound i knew everything had to do with a fuse im not that stupid ha ha but i got my subwoofer going again with a 125volt 4amp fuse i have not looked at the prons since the power outage i just know i went out and bought a new 600 watt power supply but u got a good point of checking out the mother board i was thinking about taking the mother board out and looking on the back where the saudering job is to check and see if it had destroyed the mother board but i havent done that yet my friend gave me a power supply i will try it

baylinerman

Honorable
May 15, 2012
ya i checked out the pins they all look straight and good nothing looked burnt at all or bent all looked good on the motherboard i think its okey just something happend to the powersupplies cuss actually i fixed my dads computer got his running mine should do the same GOT 1 question do all 8 pins need to be inserted or just 4 PINS