Sign in with
Your question

Bad MOBO????

Last response: in Motherboards
November 1, 2010 5:22:00 AM

Hi guys, here is my situation, my pc was working fine until I decided to upgrade to a Corsair H50 heatsink, after I installed it the pc wouldn't boot, I replaced the H50 with my original AMD factory HSF and got out of hand with the thermal paste, I later discovered that the paste actually got in the CPU pins on the mobo and under the CPU as well, I cleaned everything the best I could and the pc boots up but as soon as the Winxp logo appears I get a blue acreen and the system restarts.
Is that an indication of a bad mobo or perhaps a burned CPU??
ECS GF8200A mobo
AMD 9850 x4
650w PSU
4g 6400 DDR2 ram
EVGA nvidia 9600GT 1gb
Any help will be greatly appreciated. THANKSSSSS

More about : bad mobo

a c 1152 V Motherboard
a c 887 à CPUs
November 1, 2010 7:25:38 PM

With the paste getting into the socket it is pretty hard to clean it. You are probably dealing with a short in the socket.
m
l
November 1, 2010 8:46:33 PM

Thanks, that could very well be the problem because i can physically see paste in the socket pins
m
l
Related resources
a c 1152 V Motherboard
a c 887 à CPUs
November 1, 2010 8:54:09 PM

It might be worth a try using electric cleaner to clean it out but not guaranteed.
m
l
November 1, 2010 9:34:35 PM

Fine cloth, ethanol, and a lot of patience.
m
l
November 2, 2010 1:10:17 AM

I actually removed the actual face of the socket and noticed some paste where the cpu pins fit, it is literally impossible for me to clean them out unless I use compressed air or something like that, what do you guys think?? Could it be the actual board shorting out or the cpu?
m
l
a c 1152 V Motherboard
a c 887 à CPUs
November 2, 2010 1:16:37 AM

The paste is a good conductor either way if it is in the socket or on the pins it is shorting both the board and the CPU.
m
l
November 2, 2010 1:45:48 AM

pilotforever said:
I actually removed the actual face of the socket and noticed some paste where the cpu pins fit, it is literally impossible for me to clean them out unless I use compressed air or something like that, what do you guys think?? Could it be the actual board shorting out or the cpu?

Extra small cotton buds and alcohol (for cleaning), trying this boozed up would be fun, but not a good idea.

Which paste are you using? Ceramique, for example is non-conductive.

m
l
!