Sign in with
Your question

Higher CPU temp after replacing HSF with Hyper 212+

Last response: in CPUs
May 16, 2010 4:55:38 AM

With the stock Intel Core i7 HSF I get an idle temperature of 55 degree celcius, but on my newly installed Cooler Master Hyper 212+ I get higher temps, about 61 degree celcius at idle.

Do you think there is something wrong with the installation of the Heatsink?

This is my first time to replace a heatsink, I used the Thermal Paste that came with Hyper 212+ because there is no thermal paste available in the store where I bought the Hyper 212+. I used my finger with a plastic in spreading the thermal paste on the base of the CPU and on the heatsink because I was having a hard time using a plastic card in spreading the paste, but I'm not sure if I applied it correctly and then I just secured the heatsink into the CPU base with the screws and put the computer back together to see if I installed it correctly and to see if there was any temperature drop from the stock Intel HSF. But to my surprise the CPU temperature went higher instead of going lower.
May 16, 2010 5:08:06 AM

Did you perhaps put too much thermal paste on and have you double checked that the fan is spinning. Too much paste is just as bad as not enough in fact its usually worse. Only about half the size of a pea is what you want before spreading it.
May 16, 2010 5:15:07 AM

Not being a wiseguy, but you did remove the plastic protector film off the bottom? My i5 with that cooler idles around 30c. Because of the spaces between the tubes, many "butter" the bottom to fill the spaces, then remove the excess, and then very thin line on each pipe. VERY thin, you just want an almost see through film on top. A Guy

Related resources
May 16, 2010 7:51:23 AM

I removed the plastic cover on the heatsink.

On my first attempt to install the heatsink, I applied a thin layer of thermal paste on the CPU and on the Heatsink and got an Idle temp of 61° Celcius (7° higher than before I removed Intel Stock Heatsink).

On my second attempt to re-apply thermal paste and to re-install heatsink, just a few minutes ago, I cleaned off the existing thermal paste on the CPU and on the Heatsink using a Lint free cloth and 70% alcohol. I used a different method, instead of applying thermal paste on both the CPU and the Heatsink, I only applied thermal paste on the heatsink using a method similar to what "A Guy" said.

Will my CPU run hotter if I tried to run the computer without any thermal paste on the CPU or on the heatsink?

Is there a possibility that the thermal paste that came with the Hyper 212+ is not good enough and is the one that is causing my high CPU temps?
May 16, 2010 8:17:42 AM

you do NOT want to run your comp without the thermal paste! make sure you put thermal paste on!!!! VERY IMPORTANT!!!

youtube some hyper 212 thermal paste application and you will get a ton of hits! check it out!
May 16, 2010 8:24:02 AM

I forgot to mention that on my second attempt (thermal paste on heatsink only) I got an Idle temps of 62° Celcius, 1° hotter than on my first attempt.
May 16, 2010 9:19:32 AM

I can't get any thermal paste right now and it might be a while before I can get one because there are no computer stores in my place that sell thermal paste.

But, shouldn't be my CPU temps with my new Heatsink be atleast comparable to the Stock Intel heatsink if not lower?
May 16, 2010 9:27:04 AM

Is the mounting secure? One way to test this is to lay the computer on its side, with the panel open. Gently press down on the heatsink. If this lowers your temperatures, then the heatsink isn't 100% secured.

The temps should be comparable, yes. However, HDT heatsinks need a different application method than normal ones. I figure you have air bubbles between where the pipes are and the base of the heatsink, which is causing less than optimal heat transfer.
May 16, 2010 1:54:30 PM

darkstar845 said:
I can't get any thermal paste right now and it might be a while before I can get one because there are no computer stores in my place that sell thermal paste.

But, shouldn't be my CPU temps with my new Heatsink be atleast comparable to the Stock Intel heatsink if not lower?

hi
dont know if u have chked that s the fans blowing in the correct direction, on the cooler. one fan is supposed to blow in the heatsink and the other fan to blow outwards. chk that because i have cooler master 212 hyper plus with a core i7 920 and my temps dont go higher than 45, this is because i know my thermal paste isnt applied properly. if it is then i think another 5 degs will fall. hope i helped
May 16, 2010 3:13:10 PM

Look said:
Is the mounting secure? One way to test this is to lay the computer on its side, with the panel open. Gently press down on the heatsink. If this lowers your temperatures, then the heatsink isn't 100% secured.

The temps should be comparable, yes. However, HDT heatsinks need a different application method than normal ones. I figure you have air bubbles between where the pipes are and the base of the heatsink, which is causing less than optimal heat transfer.

I tried to press down the heatsink and tightened the retention screws a little bit, the CPU temperature dropped from 62° to 58°, only 4° lower and still not comparable to what I get when using the Intel Heatsink Fan which is about 55°.

Is there any possibility that the CoolerMaster thermal compund that came with it needs a little more time to set?
May 16, 2010 3:21:52 PM

lordszone said:
hi
dont know if u have chked that s the fans blowing in the correct direction, on the cooler. one fan is supposed to blow in the heatsink and the other fan to blow outwards. chk that because i have cooler master 212 hyper plus with a core i7 920 and my temps dont go higher than 45, this is because i know my thermal paste isnt applied properly. if it is then i think another 5 degs will fall. hope i helped

I only installed one fan on the front, and it is blowing air into the heatsink which I think is the correct way to do it base from the illustration on the box.

I also tried to remove the fan on the heatsink while the computer is running at idle just to know what temps would I get, after a couple of seconds upon removing the fan, the temperature only got up to maybe 4 to 5 degrees.
May 16, 2010 8:47:47 PM

I think it's time to contact cooler master for an RMA. The fan might be simply stuck in the lowest RPM.
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2010 9:48:54 PM

Same thing happened to me when I first installed a Direct Heat Pipe HSF. The problem was with the thermal paste application, it was just to much. My HSF is the Titan Fenrir with Artic Cool MX-3 paste my temps were really high. so I uninstalled then reinstalled the HSF using the knowledge shared on here now my idle temps are right at 9 degrees celcius above ambient with an X4 940@3.6GHz 1.42volts. So I would for sure make sure you get a good quality paste and apply it according to the advice on here.
May 16, 2010 11:56:17 PM

mrblazito said:
I think it's time to contact cooler master for an RMA. The fan might be simply stuck in the lowest RPM.

I don't think that the fan is not in in its lowest RPM because its air pressure was comparable to the 120mm rear fan in my case when set to maximum.
May 17, 2010 12:04:58 AM

Does applying thermal paste for the first time requires a little practice or some kind of trial and error before I get it right, especially when I have Direct Heat Pipe heatsink instead of just a flat surface heatsink base.
May 17, 2010 3:02:15 AM

It takes a little bit of patience, nothing too complicated though. To apply the paste, what you need to do is fill in the tiny gaps between the contact pipes (copper colored pipes) and the silver-colored base. Air bubbles can get trapped in there and hinder heat transfer. Once you have paste filled in there, wipe off all of the excess paste that isn't in the gaps, but be careful not to remove any from in-between the pipes and the base.

Next, place one short line on the silver base in the middle of each are between the heat-pipes. This line should be roughly 1/2 the length of the CPU. The link I provided has a picture of the bottom of an HDT heatsink, and how to correctly apply the lines.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Picture 6 shows the lines, and picture 7 shows the spreading result, if you are too lazy to read the article. :) 
May 17, 2010 9:38:01 AM

I just did my third attempt in applying the thermal paste on the heatsink using the method in the link provided by Look. My temps got lower, from 58 degrees to 53 degrees.

But is this temperature drop good enough, only 2 degrees lower than my Intel stock Heatsink which is 55 degrees?
Shouldn't I be getting a little more?
May 17, 2010 9:59:22 AM

Which thermal paste are you using? If it is the CoolerMaster paste, then I wouldn't be surprised with these results. Depending on your location,you should be able to get some AS5 from an online retailer such as NewEgg. The only caveat with AS5 is that it has a fairly long curing time (200+ hours, with many thermal cycles).
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2010 2:18:44 PM

Artic Cool MX-3 is the best I have used it cures instantly upon installation...Made my X4 940 6 degrees celcius cooler than the AS5
May 21, 2010 1:42:22 AM

I bought a JetArt Nano Diamond thermal paste because I have used all the Coolermaster thermal paste that came with the heatsink due to three time heatsink re-installation and it is the only thermal paste available in the store where I bought it.

I cleaned off the existing CM thermal paste on the processor and on the heatsink, then put the JetArt thermal paste on the heatsink only. I filled all the gaps between the heatpipe and dividers and put a thin strip of thermal paste on the three inner dividers and placed the heatsink back to the CPU and tilted the heatsink from side to side a few times before securing the heatsink in place.

When I turned on the computer, the core with the highest temperature at idle was still 52° just like the CM thermal paste. But eventually after a few hours of usage and the computer had been turned off for the night, I was happy to see that the CPU temperature hit 46° when I turned it on early in the morning but eventually as the sun begins to rise and the day begins to warm up, my idle CPU temperature was at 48°-49° and 70° when Prime95 is running.

I think that I will be contented with this temp for now, considering that my CPU temp dropped from 55° with my Intel HSF to 49° with the Hyper 212 and I think that my thermal paste is not as good as AS5 and that it is still summer here in my country which has a temperature of 30° - 35°.
I think I can now start overclocking my CPU a little bit with this temperature drop.

Thank you for all your advice and opinions.

May 21, 2010 2:49:04 AM

This is what I did with my sunbeamtech CCF Fan. It also has the heat pipe contact built into the plate where you attach to the CPU.

I applied a layer of thermal to my heatsink and spread it with a credit card making sure to fill the tiny gaps where the heatpipes are. Then I used a rice sized amount of thermal on the CPU and placed the heatsink on top of it and smashed it. This smashing it method helps prevent air bubbles.

I believe the coolermaster thermal paste sucks. I tried it when I had the n520 and wasn't impressed.
May 21, 2010 3:00:41 AM

Where do you live? I would be willing to sell you my arctic silver 5 if you're in the united states. It wasn't used because I decided to use the stock thermal paste that came with my heatsink(tuniqu TX2)
May 21, 2010 3:34:34 AM

tuesday0180 said:
Where do you live? I would be willing to sell you my arctic silver 5 if you're in the united states. It wasn't used because I decided to use the stock thermal paste that came with my heatsink(tuniqu TX2)

I think you can't sell it to me because I live in the Philippines.
May 21, 2010 3:44:13 AM

darkstar845 said:
I think you can't sell it to me because I live in the Philippines.

Awww yes, the shipping alone would cost more than the thermal grease itself.
May 21, 2010 9:06:21 AM

Is there a possibility that my CPU is a bad one?

Because:

I have read some forums saying that they get an idle temperatures of 42° to 45° with also the same room temperatures of about 32° to 35°.
The VID ID of this CPU doesn't show up in CPU-Z and CoreTemp.
The Core #3 is always 7°-10° lower than Core #0 while Core #0, Core #1 and Core #2 are just 1°-3° apart from each other.

I have an Antec 902 case which has a good airflow and added a side fan.
!