Computer won't wake up

rutledj

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Not sure it is sleeping. The fans are still running but the monitor goes dark. Won't come back to life with keyboard or mouse.

This is a new build using asus p6x58d-e mboard. Changed it to wake with mouse and keyboard in bios but no luck. Win 7 64bit installation.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Rut

Solution
On most computers, you can resume working by pressing your computer's power button.

You can adjust how long your computer waits before sleeping or hibernating—or prevent it from turning itself off altogether. Here's how to prevent your computer from entering a power-saving state:

Open Power Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then clicking Power Options.

On the Select a power plan page, click Change plan settings next to the selected plan.

On the Change settings for the plan page, click Change advanced power settings.

On the Advanced settings tab, double-click Sleep, double-click Sleep after, and then do one of the following:

Click Setting, click the arrow, and then...
On most computers, you can resume working by pressing your computer's power button.

You can adjust how long your computer waits before sleeping or hibernating—or prevent it from turning itself off altogether. Here's how to prevent your computer from entering a power-saving state:

Open Power Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then clicking Power Options.

On the Select a power plan page, click Change plan settings next to the selected plan.

On the Change settings for the plan page, click Change advanced power settings.

On the Advanced settings tab, double-click Sleep, double-click Sleep after, and then do one of the following:

Click Setting, click the arrow, and then click Never.

Double-click Hibernate after, and then do one of the following:

If you also want the display to stay turned on, double-click Display, double-click Turn off display after, and then do one of the following:

Check if there is a bios update addressing the issue.

Click OK, and then click Save changes.

Solution

EastCoast

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
I was having the same problem even after updating everything. The PC would go to sleep, then I would press the space bar to wake up the computer and the computer would wake up, but the mouse and display would not wake up. Strange. After playing with this, I discovered that if I clicked the mouse first and not the keyboard everything would wake up properly. The keyboard is a PS/2 connection and the mouse USB. That the keyboard was PS/2 seemed to cause a problem on my PC because I connected a USB keyboard and everything is waking up now.

Windows 7 32bit
EVGA 122-M2-NF59-TR Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 - Motherboard
Video Card -- Gigabyte GV-NX73T256P-RH NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Video Card

jls51344

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013

Funny, but if my Monitor won't come on, guess, What, can't see to do the work, Does this make sense?