Sign in with
Your question

CM II 690 ad. VS Fractal Design define R2

Last response: in Components
May 16, 2010 7:37:40 AM

hey everone,

im building a rig at the moment, but really can't decides which of the following cases I should buy:

CMII 690 advanced:

has one of the best feature sets
Lot of fans, so i assume it's has better cooling properties than the R2, I do love OC!!:p 

or

Fractal Design refine R2,
is quite(which is nice) and has a really nice front pannel
not so good cooling,

my system im building:

ASrock 890gx extreme 3
4gb ddr3 cl7
Athlon II 630
zalman cbps 9700 cooler
seagate barracuda 7200.12 1tb
HIS hd4850 FAN
cm real power 520w

Thx for you help;)

a b ) Power supply
May 16, 2010 1:11:15 PM

wawacorp said:
hey everone,

im building a rig at the moment, but really can't decides which of the following cases I should buy:

CMII 690 advanced:

Lot of fans, so i assume it's has better cooling properties than the R2, I do love OC!!:p 

or

not so good cooling,

my system im building:

ASrock 890gx extreme 3
4gb ddr3 cl7
Athlon II 630
zalman cbps 9700 cooler
HIS hd4850 FAN
cm real power 520w

Thx for you help;)

Go for the CM 690II. It's an amazing ... case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ysED47JOpk [:henry chinaski:2]

Seriously, It's a very good midtower for OC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGvBjEmXJnI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed4RC6r2NTk
May 16, 2010 8:58:44 PM

I just bought the CM 690II for a friend and I have to say that it's really an awesome case.

Related resources
a b ) Power supply
May 16, 2010 9:50:07 PM

wawacorp said:
hey everone,

CMII 690 advanced:

or

not so good cooling,

my system im building:

ASrock 890gx extreme 3
4gb ddr3 cl7
Athlon II 630
zalman cbps 9700 cooler
HIS hd4850 FAN
cm real power 520w

Thx for you help;)

Umm...

In the Fractal R2, you can put 2 front 120mm fan in the front, 2 120/140mm fans in the top, 1 120mm fan in the rear, 1 120/140mm fan in the side, and 1 120/140mm fan on the bottom. So how does it have inferior cooling? They both have great cooling, which is very, very similar, but the 690 comes with more fans, but both come with junk fans so you should upgrade anyway (I recommend Yate Loons, they are very cheap and very high quality).

So in cooling, they are the same.

The Fractal R2 has more features that ward off noise and make it a little quieter, so it gets the nod there.

Both have rear plate cut outs for motherboard brackets, both hold a lot of HDDs, both have great cooling, both look excellent, both have dust filters, and both are well sized.

The only differences, besides aesthetics, is that the 690 has some tool less features and the R2 is built much better for noise suppression, though the R2 DOES come with PCIe slot thumb screws.

I'm going to give a nod towards the Fractal R2.

Now add in the Lian Li Dragon Lord PC-k58/60/62 and things get more interesting. It can hold 1 140mm front fan, 2 140mm top fans, and 1 120mm rear fan, so it has plenty of cooling. Where it stands out is the completely tool-less design that actually works.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

My choices are between the PC-K62 and the R2, depending on what is most important to you.
May 17, 2010 5:40:43 PM

The problem with lancool cases is that you will have to purchase special rubberized screws from lian Li to mount your 2 top 140 mm fans.

Thx for you input, I think I go for the R2 because it has, like you said, tha same cooling as CM II and it has better noise reduction features.

and I like the front panel of the R2, it's pretty nice!!

May 17, 2010 10:33:55 PM

AMW1011, great points!

Having worked on both cases and installed systems. I prefer the R2 more, the bitumen panels do help in isolating fan noise and it has much better dust filtering. I also prefer the R2's more durable steel constructed HD cages over the 690's plastic cages. I work with the owner of the R2 system I built. He has a cat and keeps the system on a carpeted floor. So I've periodically checked on the system. It's done a remarkable job in filtering! The only nag I have about the R2, is the rubber grommets for cable management holes pop-out very easily. If Fractal requested the rubber compound be more flexible, I think it would solve that issue.

This is the R2 I reviewed and built

I reviewed the first R2 sample that was shipped to the US.

!