Looking for a good, solid HD.

FearLegendary

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2012
Around 1 TB, and around 100$. Internal, not external. Reason why I'm asking is because I'm not sure what is a good hard drive, and I've been reading reviews of some and a lot of people had drives fail on them or DOA, and I don't want that to happen to me.

I'm willing to buy from Newegg, Tigerdirect, or Microcenter.

vermillionBlue

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Newegg usually has the best reviews from a more technical set of users. I've had good luck with my internal Western Digital drives. They usually last at least 4 years. Are you looking for a laptop (2.5") or a desk top (3.5") hard drive? I would get on Newegg email list for deals, but then also check it against Amazon, etc. Also, the TB drives haven't been around as long so there are fewer reviews on them and they don't seem to be as stable. Can you go smaller and maybe add 2 drives?

weedn

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
hard drives can be very hit or miss, i have a WD green 1TB and its been good for 3 years now, and ive heard both good and bad things about them, also have a 200GB seagate barracuda that ive had for 7 years now, works great.

just bought a WD caviar black 1tb which are usually known to be good strong reliable drives and it arrived DOA, RMA's it and got a good working one with no troubles now

its a crap shoot, my suggestion would be to just get the cheapest one and roll with it

this is on sale today only on newegg http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=ShellShocker-_-22-145-533-_-03272012_1

1TB hitachi for $99, really good deal for 1TB considering the current prices on drives