Intermittent Keyboard Failure - Toshiba 2455

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 27, 2004 1:53:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,japan.comp.toshiba (More info?)

Here's the weirdness.....

On this laptop with XP Pro, the keyboard is intermittent. That is,
when typing rapidly, the keyboard occasionally stops responding, the
missed characters are not cached, they are lost. The problem appears
randomly, but it can be forced to happen if the Synaptics touch pad is
touched while typing. This would lead one to believe that the
touchpad is causing the problem, but I disabled the touchpad (at least
in windows) but the problem is still there. I've found that sometimes
it appears with cpu usage, but not always. I am using the latest
release (including patches where applicable), of all drivers, OS, and
Bios.

This is a very annoying problem. I've updated all applicable drivers,
and tried external keyboards. I've reinstalled the OS, to no avail.

If it weren't for another similar post (with no response) I would
think it's the Motherboard.

-John
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 29, 2004 12:47:32 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,japan.comp.toshiba (More info?)

I had a somewhat similar problem. I re-installed the touchpad driver
(it seemed to have vanished!) and then adjusted the touchpad, and the
keyboard is OK now. I think the synaptics touchpad had become ultra
sensitive to when I accidentally brushed against it.

But did you say you already tried that...?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 3, 2004 3:07:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,japan.comp.toshiba (More info?)

Actually, I was not sure. I've been very busy, and finally was able to
do that today. I installed the latest driver from synaptics.

It didn't seem to make the problem any different. I also noticed it
was worse while playing a video file, but not running Prime95's
torture test. So, it's more than CPU related.

-ph

!