Random power drops - Power supply related?

Mattish

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Hey,

I've recently had an issue arise with my machine that I've having a pickle with working out, it has a fair background to it, so bare with us.

The state of the machine currently is that it will boot up as normal, then once into the OS, it at random points will drop power, then restart. It has happened when typing in my password to log in, or even once Ive loaded up some stuff. Currently it wouldn't stay up for longer then 5 minutes or so without dropping power.

~~~~~~~

It started out a few days ago whereby my machine kept hanging, forcing me to shut it down. I checked out the system logs and it seemed I was getting a lot of bad sector messages from my OS harddrive. I thought I'd attempt to get a chkdsk going, but anytime I tried to access anything to do with any harddrive, the machine would hang. I then restarted the machine, and windows from then on kept booting into the "Cannot-get-into-OS-bootup-thing" and started attempting to do X number of things to fix itself, all to no avail.

I made the move myself and getting into the command prompt and running a chkdsk, although it came up with no issues at all. By this point I just thought screw it. It gives me a chance to re install OS and clean up. So, I had a spare drive which I installed the OS onto. All was fine, started reinstalling all the needed apps and thought nothing else of the situation.

2 days later, wake up today. Huh, didn't think I turned the PC off overnight. Boot up the machine, go to check emails.....and it drops power, and restarts. Which brings us to where I am today.

Harddrives:
Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB SATA-II 16MB Cache
Power supply:
Corsair TX 650W ATX
Win7 Ultimate 64bit.

Ive managed to check the system logs while in safemode, and they don't have anything there. but the machine still felt the need to power drop while in safemode also.

Mattish

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Apologies,

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 LGA775 'Wolfdale' 3.16GHz (1333FSB)

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4870 "Toxic" 512MB GDDR5 TV-OutDual DVIHDMI (PCI-Express)

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 Intel P45 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

Corsair TX 650W ATX SLi Compliant Power Supply

Corsair 4GB DDR2 XMS2 PC2-8500C5 TwinX (2x2GB) Dual Channel Kit (Twin2X4096-8500C5)

Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (WD2500AAKS)

Thanks.

Mattish

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Thanks for the responses.

Would seem that because its build by Sapphire, ATI don't support it under warranty unfortunately but gives me an excuse for some shopping. :)

Thanks again.