Overclock on i5 3570k @ 4.4 ghz

karanpp20

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Hey guys i recently overclocked my cpu to 4.4 ghz at 1.23 volts and ran my prime 95 test.

My temps running on prime 95 at 4.4 ghz are
Core1 = 56
Core2 = 65
Core3 = 57
Core4 = 64
Package = 68

is this good? considering ive overclocked it to 4.4 with Vcore offset to +00.5 and turbo voltage to 0.004?

My specs are
Core i5 3570k Ivy bridge
Asrock z77 extreme 4
Cooler master Hyper evo 212 (Pull and push config)
10 gb of corsair vengenance ram
200 gb harddrive
zalman z11 case

Solution

I leave mine overnight.. But I suggest when trying a new setting you keep a close eye on it for the first hour or so. If it reaches 78C in the first hour, don't be surprised if you come back in a few hours and it hits mid 80's.

Temperature is what will damage your chip. 3570K has a TJMAX for 105C, but I personally get uncomfortable past 80-85C

TJ Case I think is around 70C?

In whatever case, use CPU-Z to make sure your VCORE is not spiking higher than you are comfortable with, and use Core Temp or similar to make sure your Temperature is right.

"Comfortable" is a relative term. I see...

karanpp20

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Thanks, I've got a cooler master EVO 212 for my cooling.
And my motherboard is asrock z77 extreme 4

also is this normal too?
sometimes during my 1 hour long prime 95 test, i would get the
"package" temp at around 75 max mostly around 67~75
but it never went over 75

karanpp20

Honorable
May 28, 2012

Im using HW monitor to check my temps. But when I use core temp to check my temps I get lower display cpu temps so i dont know.

Also when i ran the torture test on prime 95, Everything had a pass, no errors.

And im using the 25.11 version of prime 95 if that what you are asking.

**I get 30-40 idle temps, is this normal? and what should i set my offset on my motherboard config? Right now i set it to 0.005+ and 0.004+ Turbo

Adroid

Distinguished
Looks like you have got a potentially great chip there.

Your temperatures look pretty normal (near identical to mine, I have same CPU and cooler).

Now back to my original question, in windows, find your "Event Logs" then go to custom views, Administrative Events

Let me know if you see any WHEA errors...

Adroid

Distinguished
And one other thing, running Prime95 for 1 hour is not enough in my personal opinion. You need to run it at least 6 hours, I try to shoot for 12 hours.

Its easy to run for 1 hours with no errors, but 12 hours with no errors will run different processes and further prove your OC is stable. Some people do 6 hours and some swear by 24 hours. Just make sure your temps are safe - I usually run my A/C when doing stress testing to keep the ambient temps low.

karanpp20

Honorable
May 28, 2012

so I just run prime 95 for 6 or 12 hours?
can i leave it running overnight and check on it in the morning or do i have do check it constantly?

karanpp20

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Also, I can't push my overclock to 4.5, everytime i do so, i crash with a blue screen 10 seconds after i do so.
I tried setting the offset to 0.010+ and turbo offset to 0.004

Adroid

Distinguished

I don't use offset voltages, so I won't be tons of help here. I don't completely understand the methodology, but I do know alot of people use it.

I'm guessing that you will need more voltage to hit 4.5GHZ I read alot of people need 1.25Vish to hit 4.4GHZ

Please BE CAREFULL when adding offset voltage and regular Vcore or you may overvolt and damage something.

That is the reason I don't use offset etc in addition to upping Vcore. You should be able to adjust for Vdroop using LLC.

Ivy Bridge is a tricky chip to overclock. There are alot of options to mess with. I suggest you read more guides.

There are plenty of people with more knowledge than I have about OC, I just know enough to find a stable OC without melting my chip

Adroid

Distinguished

I leave mine overnight.. But I suggest when trying a new setting you keep a close eye on it for the first hour or so. If it reaches 78C in the first hour, don't be surprised if you come back in a few hours and it hits mid 80's.

Temperature is what will damage your chip. 3570K has a TJMAX for 105C, but I personally get uncomfortable past 80-85C

TJ Case I think is around 70C?

In whatever case, use CPU-Z to make sure your VCORE is not spiking higher than you are comfortable with, and use Core Temp or similar to make sure your Temperature is right.

"Comfortable" is a relative term. I see some people pushing their chips past 90C (which I don't recommend), and others won't go much past 70C

As for voltages, I wouldn't push it over 1.3V on air provided that temperatures are OK. I personally won't go past 1.265 because I was hitting 85C, which is beyond my comfort level.

Solution