Need build advice for gaming system.

First time poster long time lurker. I'd like to keep it under 2k for the PC itself, I'll pick an LCD later. I have a small list of ideas but I'm open to suggestions. I'll be running Windows 7 64 bit. Looking to buy within 2-3 weeks. May OC at some point if needed. Hope this is all the info needed to help me out, thanks in advance.

Asus p6x58d premium
i7 920
8 Gig - brand? type? DDR3 2000?
GEForce GTX 295
Caviar black WD1002FAEX
Case?
Power supply?
17 answers Last reply
More about need build advice gaming system
  1. Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

1- What is your budget?
    2- Get 6GB (3x2GB) for Tri-channel
    3- The GTX295 is a very good GPU, but with the same price you can get a 5970
    4- 1TB HD? Get spinpoint F3
  2. My budget is under 2k. Why the spinpoint it looks like it is only 3gbs sata whereas the caviar is 6gbs? Is the 5970 a better card than the GTX295?
  3. Spinpoint is a lot faster. The WD may SAY it's a SATA III drive, but it really isn't. The F3 uses 500 GB platters, which means a higher density of data. That means the data is read/written faster. It also means there's fewer moving parts, so there's less heat, less noise, and (theoretically) less chance of failure.

Right now, the only drives that are close to using SATA III speeds are SSDs, and that's only when you've put a bunch of them in a RAID.

The 5970 is the best card out there. Period.

Here's a full $2,000 build (assuming no OS, montior or other stuff):

CPU: i7-930 $295
    Mobo: Asus P6X58D Premium $310
    RAM: Mushkin Enahnced Redline 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 6 $230 after rebate
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB $90
    GPU: HD 5970 $700
    PSU: OCZ Z Series 850W 80+ Gold $200
    Case: HAF 922 $90
    Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $25
    HSF (only if overclocking): Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus $35

Total: $1,975
  4. ^+1, that the option that I was build, but you winning me the thread....jeje...
  5. I know it's been fun to pick on Western Digital lately, but that HD the OP originally listed is a nice new SATA 3.0 drive that uses 500GB platters and has a 5-year warranty. No more "WD is crap" comments apply to that drive.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/18467
  6. ^What means the OP in your thread? I'm not from USA.
  7. OP = original poster. That's the person who created the thread.
  8. ^Thanks for the info, something new that I learn today :)
  9. shortstuff_mt said:
    I know it's been fun to pick on Western Digital lately, but that HD the OP originally listed is a nice new SATA 3.0 drive that uses 500GB platters and has a 5-year warranty. No more "WD is crap" comments apply to that drive.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/18467

@ShortStuff....

I have been looking at that drive lately as well.

Unfortunately have not read to many reveiws that make me think it is worth the extra 30 bucks compared to the Spinpoint and the Seagate drives.
  10. Great advice all. Thanks for the build info. I didn't realize WDC got a bad rep as of late. I'll have to do a little more reading on the video card and drive.
  11. It may not be worth the extra cash, that's up to the OP to decide. I was just pointing out the fact that the statements about the WD drive not having 500GB platters and the other drives outperforming it are actually not correct.
  12. rstoecke said:
    Great advice all. Thanks for the build info. I didn't realize WDC got a bad rep as of late. I'll have to do a little more reading on the video card and drive.

WD just became the whipping boy because they have been a little late releasing 500GB/platter drives. There is certainly nothing wrong with their 320GB/platter drives, they are just slightly outperformed by 500GB/platter drives. I actually have never had a single problem with any WD drives. My HTPC is very hard on drives and I've never had a single failure. That system is currently running 5 WD drives and they're going strong after years of abuse.
  13. @shortstuff: Is that WD one new? Last I heard the only 500 GB platter WD was the 2 TB Caviar Black...
  14. Yes, it's fairly new. It was released around a month ago.
  15. Ok here's my final build. I blew my budget but I think overall I'll be happier with the performance.

Intel i7 950 - I got a smokin' deal from a local Intel reseller.

ASUS P6X58D PREMIUM

2x WDC CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX 1TB - Probably going RAID1

ASUS ATI Radeon HD 5970 2GB

Mushkin Enhanced Redline 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Dell 3008WFP LCD Monitor 30" 2560 x 1600

For now I'm going to use the OEM heatsink, I don't think I'll be overclocking in the near future, if i decide to I'll upgrade the heaksink.

Thanks for all the feedback.
  16. If noise is not an issue, spinpoint seems a good choice for HD as perf are really good, personnally i'd go for 2 x Western Digital Caviar Green 640GB SATA-II 64MB Cache in Raid 0, if you can't afford an SSD.
  17. uruquiora said:
    If noise is not an issue, spinpoint seems a good choice for HD as perf are really good, personnally i'd go for 2 x Western Digital Caviar Green 640GB SATA-II 64MB Cache in Raid 0, if you can't afford an SSD.

Those drives are 5400 rpm.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product