Powering Problem (motherboard?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

meddler66

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
SO heres the problem: my computer wont power up, the light flicks every few hits of the power button and nothing, but than when i unplug the ethernet chord and few other usb chords from the back of the motherboard it power us after few hits, ( sometimes i have to unplug everything from the motherboard) this started happening a while ago, i also replaced the power supply about a year ago it is a 550W power supply? what do you guys think? what could the problem be? Thanks for any ideas or help

Solution
Based upon whatever "regular routine and it powered up" means it would seem to be the PSU. When a PSU is in its' early stages of a 'slow death' then sometimes it will run, run oddly, suddenly shutdown, and in general the PC seems to 'make NO sense' all of which point to a failing PSU.

As I recall, you are building a "new" rig ---> so try the NEW PSU; if the problem is fixed then you know 100%.

meddler66

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
The box says sustain velocty Extreme Cool Silent Design, im pretty sure its a dynapowerusa its a 500W im running 7600GS with two HDD 250GB and 500GB a new CD drive all of them are powered by sata, i also ran out of original plugs so i had to buy a regular 4 pin to sata connector and i also have a GPU fan card which takes up one 4pin connector, nothing is overclocked.

i also tried to unplug the GPU fan card and one of the harddrives and still nothing happend than i did the regular routine and it powered up

Based upon whatever "regular routine and it powered up" means it would seem to be the PSU. When a PSU is in its' early stages of a 'slow death' then sometimes it will run, run oddly, suddenly shutdown, and in general the PC seems to 'make NO sense' all of which point to a failing PSU.

As I recall, you are building a "new" rig ---> so try the NEW PSU; if the problem is fixed then you know 100%.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.