Broken Computer/ Trying to retrieve Files

the_goodlife

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
The other day one of my computers quit working. When I would turn it on the pixels on my monitor would be off colored, and the image on the screen would be distorted. After you let the computer sit it will turn to what I'm guessing is the start up screen with the options of starting the computer normally, or safe mode etc. The screen stays black at this point, and only has a grey line where you can select different commands with the up and down arrows.

My question to you is: How can I copy/ retrieve all my pictures/word doc. files (all the important stuff) and put it onto a external hard drive, or dvd without going into the OS? So that I can go buy another computer or wipe this one clean and be able to put those files back onto the new computer.

Thanks for your help!

I do have pictures of what the computer screen does maybe they could help, just didn't see any where on the forum to post pictures:/

harryblue954

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
see if all connection r tied then try safe mode with networking if it doesn't work u need to replace monitor ;)

the_goodlife

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
I figured it out I miss understood the first message! Worked like a charm its something to do with the motherboard or something. Getting a new computer in the next couple days. I appreciate the help!! Thank you all!