Hello everyone,
I have quite a strange problem, my system is as following:
i5 3570k
maximus v gene
corsair vengeance 1600mhx 8Gb
corsair gs600
saphire HD7770 oc edition
cm 212 evo

i can run p95 endlessly at 4.2Ghz with 1.18 vcore without any error, but as soon as i change my multiplier to 45 it BSOD's as it's about to ask me for my password on the windows startup. :( 
my temps dont pass 75ºC on p95.
if you need any more information ask me and i will try to find what you need.
Hopefully i can get a better oc, really wanted to get 4.5 but if i cant, i cant. anyway, thank you in advance! :) 

More about : 3570k push 5ghz

a b à CPUs
January 6, 2013 12:21:53 AM

You may have a memory RAM timings or frecuency bad ajusted, your motherboard and memory should have an XMP profile, load it, let the memory frecuency at default and try start at 4.5ghz. That worked for me, because with 1333mhz CL8 i was getting BSOD, then after i ajusted the memory im running completly stable at 4.5Ghz, you can check my CPUZ validation...
January 6, 2013 12:24:55 AM

horaciopz said:
You may have a memory RAM timings or frecuency bad ajusted, your motherboard and memory should have an XMP profile, load it, let the memory frecuency at default and try start at 4.5ghz. That worked for me, because with 1333mhz CL8 i was getting BSOD, then after i ajusted the memory im running completly stable at 4.5Ghz, you can check my CPUZ validation...

I will try that and report to you afterwards
Related resources
January 6, 2013 12:42:36 AM

horaciopz said:

still didnt work, not even at 1.3v
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2013 12:43:18 AM

You will BSOD @ 4.5GHZ with 1.18 V every time.
Try a minimum of 1.25 V to start
Watch your temperatures. If you are running hot, back off!

To obtain 4.5 ghz you will need to adjust multiple settings in your BIOS, not just your multiplier.

Read some guides -
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2013 12:45:14 AM

Also, I have the same cooler and CPU - 4.5GHZ will probably make your temperatures hit 85-90 C during stress testing

Not worth it in my opinion. I ended up @ 4.3 GHZ because I couldn't get it stable at 4.4 GHZ unless I added ALOT of voltage.
January 6, 2013 12:54:15 AM

Adroid said:

To obtain 4.5 ghz you will need to adjust multiple settings in your BIOS, not just your multiplier.

Read some guides -

I read dozens and dozens of guides before i even got all my hardware, the first oc i tried was 1.25v at 4.5, and it didnt work, so i tried lowering my multiplier and vcore until i found 4.2 at 1.18 which is preety good but i wanted to try to break the 4.5 barrier even if for just a super pi run. just now i tried 1.3v at 45 multiplier and still didnt work.
i mainly followed this article from ROG which has the exact same components: http://rog.asus.com/184142012/maximus-v-motherboards/gu...
if you can help me further by saying what should i do more so i can try to make 4.5 stable i would aprecciate it
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2013 1:12:37 AM

bennyino said:
I read dozens and dozens of guides before i even got all my hardware, the first oc i tried was 1.25v at 4.5, and it didnt work, so i tried lowering my multiplier and vcore until i found 4.2 at 1.18 which is preety good but i wanted to try to break the 4.5 barrier even if for just a super pi run. just now i tried 1.3v at 45 multiplier and still didnt work.
i mainly followed this article from ROG which has the exact same components: http://rog.asus.com/184142012/maximus-v-motherboards/gu...
if you cant help me further by saying what should i do more so i can try to make 4.5 stable i would aprecciate it

The short version of my OC efforts with my i5 3570K =

Stable AIDA 64 @ 4.4GHZ 1.235 V for 12 hours no errors
Play a game and instacrash
Turn on prime 95 and instant error

Kinda think AIDA sucks - using prime from this point on

4.2ghz @ 1.235 prime large FFT stable for 12 hours
4.4ghz @ 1.25 prim error
4.4ghz @ 1.255 prime error
4.4ghz @ 1.260 prime stable but getting WHEA errors
4.4ghz @ 1.265 prime stable but getting WHEA errors and temps pushing mid 80's

4.3GHZ @ 1.240 prime stable - NO WHEA errors

Conclusion = My particular piece of silicon hit the invisible overclocking "wall" at 4.3GHZ

I see repeated post in forums that 4.4 GHZ is the "invisible wall" for more people.... If they push past 4.4 GHZ they have to use a HUGE spike in voltage. Over 4.3 GHZ for me requires too much voltage and heat for my liking

I happily stay at 4.3GHZ because 4.4 simply isn't worth pushing harder on my CPU chip. I don't want to add .03 voltage to raise my multiplier 100GHZ.

4.3 GHZ Stress testing under 80C, normal use under 65C, voltage comfortable @ 1.240 V

= End of my Overclock.
January 6, 2013 1:26:19 AM

Adroid said:
The short version of my OC efforts with my i5 3570K =

Stable AIDA 64 @ 4.4GHZ 1.235 V for 12 hours no errors
Play a game and instacrash
Turn on prime 95 and instant error

Kinda think AIDA sucks - using prime from this point on

4.2ghz @ 1.235 prime large FFT stable for 12 hours
4.4ghz @ 1.25 prim error
4.4ghz @ 1.255 prime error
4.4ghz @ 1.260 prime stable but getting WHEA errors
4.4ghz @ 1.265 prime stable but getting WHEA errors and temps pushing mid 80's

4.3GHZ @ 1.240 prime stable - NO WHEA errors

Conclusion = My particular piece of silicon hit the invisible overclocking "wall" at 4.3GHZ

I see repeated post in forums that 4.4 GHZ is the "invisible wall" for more people.... If they push past 4.4 GHZ they have to use a HUGE spike in voltage. Over 4.3 GHZ for me requires too much voltage and heat for my liking

I happily stay at 4.3GHZ because 4.4 simply isn't worth pushing harder on my CPU chip. I don't want to add .03 voltage to raise my multiplier 100GHZ.

4.3 GHZ Stress testing under 80C, normal use under 65C, voltage comfortable @ 1.240 V

= End of my Overclock.

Okay thank you! looks like im just gonna keep it at 4.2 with 1.18v. btw was 1.235v your minimum for p95 stability?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2013 1:34:49 AM

bennyino said:
Okay thank you! looks like im just gonna keep it at 4.2 with 1.18v. btw was 1.235v your minimum for p95 stability?

Yes. I don't think I got the best 3570K ever manufactured, but it still runs extremely quickly @ 4.3GHZ and I am happy with it. It's not worth more voltage / better cooler / more money for the little bit of gain I might possibly squeeze out of it. I'd rather save my money for my next GPU upgrade.

And like I said - I could get Prime stable @ 4.4GHZ with less voltage, but I kept getting WHEA errors, which to me = Not Stable Overclock.

Check your event viewer in your system for more :D 
January 6, 2013 2:17:25 AM

Adroid said:
Yes. I don't think I got the best 3570K ever manufactured, but it still runs extremely quickly @ 4.3GHZ and I am happy with it. It's not worth more voltage / better cooler / more money for the little bit of gain I might possibly squeeze out of it. I'd rather save my money for my next GPU upgrade.

And like I said - I could get Prime stable @ 4.4GHZ with less voltage, but I kept getting WHEA errors, which to me = Not Stable Overclock.

Check your event viewer in your system for more :D 

ok i guess that's that :) 
March 13, 2013 6:54:07 AM

Hey, ADroid, guess I got lucky... I saw your earlier post saying you'll always BSOD at 1.18 and 4.5... I get an occasional WHEA error at that voltage and clock, but no Prime errors or game crashes, and I'm fully stable with 4.5 at 1.19.... however, 4.5 is my invisible overclocking wall because even with 1.35 volts, I cannot boot with 4.6... weird, anyway...

...oops, my bad, necro'd a thread... don't hang me... lulz
July 26, 2013 10:51:49 AM

Adroid said:

Read some guides -

i am running at 4.5 1.192v with nothing but the multiplier changed without a single bsod.

prime 95 max temps with a hyper 212? 77c

gaming load planetside2 60 max.

so yeh u can absolutely hit 4.5 with simple multiplier tweak
July 26, 2013 11:21:49 AM

vrgadin said:
Adroid said:

Read some guides -

i am running at 4.5 1.192v with nothing but the multiplier changed without a single bsod.

You make it sound like it's a rubber-stamp situation. No, not everybody can hit 4.5 with just a multiplier adjustment, just like it's not unheard of that people can't even OC up to 4.2 with just multipliers. For my chip to attain 4.4 I have to add voltage, otherwise yes I can boot into Windows, but opening Excel crashes the system. 4.5 is out of the question because the extra voltage absolutely doesn't justify the 100Mhz. And anything over 4.5 is a write-off in my case.
July 26, 2013 12:28:17 PM

omnimodis78 said:
vrgadin said:
Adroid said:

Read some guides -

You make it sound like it's a rubber-stamp situation. No, not everybody can hit 4.5 with just a multiplier adjustment, just like it's not unheard of that people can't even OC up to 4.2 with just multipliers. For my chip to attain 4.4 I have to add voltage, otherwise yes I can boot into Windows, but opening Excel crashes the system. 4.5 is out of the question because the extra voltage absolutely doesn't justify the 100Mhz. And anything over 4.5 is a write-off in my case.

well yeh i upped the v to 1.192 so was 2 steps instead of just one with multiplier. to be hones i have seen no difference in planetside 2 between 4.5 and 3.8 stock turbo so i dunno if its even worth it. thing is in cpu hwmonitor my max v is only ever hitting 1.136 so its not even needing 1.192. i dunno
July 26, 2013 7:29:54 PM

vrgadin said:
omnimodis78 said:
vrgadin said:
Adroid said:

Read some guides -

well yeh i upped the v to 1.192 so was 2 steps instead of just one with multiplier. to be hones i have seen no difference in planetside 2 between 4.5 and 3.8 stock turbo so i dunno if its even worth it. thing is in cpu hwmonitor my max v is only ever hitting 1.136 so its not even needing 1.192. i dunno

You probably got a good bin, most people aren't too lucky - so we usually get average, and from my weeks of research when I got mine I can safely say that most people are reaching the ceiling at around 4.4, after that, quite detailed tweaking is needed. I couldn't be bothered honestly.
July 26, 2013 9:50:26 PM

ok update. vcore 1.192v min=1.176v max=1.208v

so yeh it is using the voltage even going over a bit. but at 4.5 and 3 hours of planetside 2 max temps were 68c so yeh i guess i did get lucky
!