Sign in with
Your question

How to replace primary hard drive (C (OS) without a Windows 7 disk

Last response: in Storage
March 27, 2012 11:06:04 PM

I have bought a new SATA drive, and I wanted to copy all my data and such to the new drive.

As if my new drive would be like my old drive only faster.

I do not have a Windows 7 CD at all. Its at my Parents house when I moved off for college.

Also this is a Home built PC not a laptop.

Is there a way to completly copy my old drive to the new one. That has all my programs and OS without a Windows CD, and just clone it to the new one to boot it from that drive so that it should act normal without any issues.
March 27, 2012 11:22:44 PM

Anybody?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 99 G Storage
March 27, 2012 11:30:35 PM

So you want to clone the old drive to the new drive? That should be ok. Since you only changed the hard drive, it won't violate the EULA of Microsoft.

Google "Free drive cloning software." They are out there. Acdronins?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
March 27, 2012 11:31:04 PM

There are many cloning software programs. Try a Google search.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
March 27, 2012 11:33:10 PM

you should be able to download software from your drive manufacture's website to clone your new drive.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 152 G Storage
March 27, 2012 11:34:57 PM

EaseUS Todo Backup Free works.

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-so...

Can clone a full disk or just a single partition(or make images to restore later if the drive is damaged) on a multi partition disk.

If you have a WDC or Seagate drive, they should have a software on the drive makers website as well.(anonymous1 beat me to it :) )
m
l
a b G Storage
March 29, 2012 1:57:02 AM

achonez said:
I have bought a new SATA drive, and I wanted to copy all my data and such to the new drive.

As if my new drive would be like my old drive only faster.

I do not have a Windows 7 CD at all. Its at my Parents house when I moved off for college.

Also this is a Home built PC not a laptop.

Is there a way to completly copy my old drive to the new one. That has all my programs and OS without a Windows CD, and just clone it to the new one to boot it from that drive so that it should act normal without any issues.

You could use other partition software to clone your old disk to your new disk, here is an article about
"How to clone your hard drive to new one in Windows 7 32/64 bit?"
Hope this could help you
m
l
!