Problem with my 3570k?

mookial

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
I've had my computer for about 7 months now and ever since the fourth month I believe my computer or chip may be defective. It all started with random BSOD's, the link of the forum post at that time is here. (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/49382-63-irql_not_less_or_equal-bsod-help)

I temporarily fixed the issue after switching out my RAM due to a defective stick and remained stable for a couple months. Now that I've gotten back into OC'ing the issues are arising again. I recently OC'ed to 4.2GHz at about 1.28v on my 3570K. But after running for a couple days (I tested for stability prior), I began to get BSOD/crashing programs once more as well as failing stress tests in P95 -- after the initial tests passed the day I actually OC'ed. I have since returned to defaults in my BIOS, and out of curiosity I ran stress tests on default but when running P95 or IBT on stock I still fail.

I ask you all, is my CPU chip defective/dieing out due to OC? I've ran Memtest v4.20 twice overnight. Both times over 10 passes and no errors have been found. I'm really looking to overclock and push my system a little further due to gaming / streaming.

Thanks all I appreciate any help!

Adroid

Distinguished
What are your temperatures?

1.28V is way too much voltage for 4.2GHZ
What cooler are you using?
What bios settings are you using?

It sounds like you don't know what you are doing - no offense. You should know what your temperatures are, and also know how to properly adjust BIOS settings.

Adroid

Distinguished

Mine took additional voltage. Have you checked your event viewer for WHEA errors?

mookial

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
After the initial OC to 4.2 I was at default with +0.005 offset and +0.004 turbo. Also I had a typo in the original post the VCore was at 1.212. Temps at 4.2 were hovering about 75~79 using 212 EVO in Corsair 500R case

Mine can run stable at 4.4Ghz without additional voltage, I just backed down to 4.3ghz to be safe. Goes to show that even chips of the same model overclock differently.

What is your ambient (room) temperature? Cause that seems really hot for a 212 EVO and a 3570k at that speed. At ~15c ambient I was getting load temps of 60c with a 212 EVO (dual fan admittedly).

Adroid

Distinguished

You are the first person I have seen post anywhere that you can run a 3570K @ 4.4GHZ without any additional voltage. I'm not sure what your definition of "additional voltage" is - are you running the chip on "Auto" ?

You also mention temps of 60C with a 212 EVO.. Is that running stress tests?

You must have the best 3570K in existence if you can run stock voltage @ 4.4GHZ and 60C

I admit I am running the CPU voltage on Auto, which apparently isnt enough to get to 4.5Ghz (failed to boot) so I assume it doesn't scale as the frequency gets higher. I do remember bumping the voltage a bit (dont remember how much, think it was .05V) and that wouldn't let me get to 4.5Ghz.
I can check what my CPU is running at now if you'd like.

Also that temperature wasn't recorded when it was at 4.4Ghz, I believe it was when it was clocked to 4.2Ghz. And yes that was an hour of Prime95 that got me ~61C across the cores, with a ~15c ambient temperature (was winter when I did the test). Might be worth mentioning that I had two aftermarket fans in push/pull on my 212 EVO when I did the testing.

Luck of the draw im guessing, I just scored a higher binned chip. Did you know the only difference between an 8120 and an 8150 is that the 8150 is higher binned? They are the exact same chip except ones higher quality so it has a higher stock frequency and supposedly can clock further.
That's why a lot of enthusiasts got 8120's, in the hope they receive a chip that can overclock like an 8150 for $40 less.

Adroid

Distinguished

Temps look fine Mookial. I am not an offset/turbo voltage overclocker (but I have seen people doing it), so I am not a huge help here. I just suggest loading CPU-Z to make sure your core voltage is not spiking too high (over 1.3V starts to be a little too high for my liking)

Temps 70-80C and voltage under 1.25V during stress testing sounds very reasonable and more or less "safe" provided other parts or temperatures aren't being stressed too hard.

Adroid

Distinguished

Leaving Voltage on Auto could be potentially dangerous - depends on how much voltage your Mobo will send (and other mobo settings). If your CPU is requesting (VID) 1.3V, your Mobo may give it what's requested.

I prefer manual voltage so I don't send nasty amounts of voltage to the CPU just because the CPU is asking for it. Typically during Overclocking you can safely send less VCORE than the VID requested.

Anyway, I didn't mean to hijack the thread... But my personal experience with the 3570K has lead me to believe this chip is a bit trickier than most I have played with. Feel free to start another thread or PM me if you want.

And you never responded about WHEA errors - I would be surprised if you aren't getting WHEA errors, but it does sound like you have a better CPU than me, so I can't say for sure :)

Adroid

Distinguished

Ok... So please give your full BIOS settings and system info.

Also, what BSOD errors are you getting?

Again.. Please go to your system event viewer in windows then go Custom => Administrative and post what errors your system is giving.

You need to give better information about the errors for anyone to be able to help!

mookial

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
I will post additional info about the BSOD and event viewer tomorrow morning, but for now I will post BIOS settings and specs.

BIOS is completely at default settings.

Specs:
3570k @ Stock currently
Cooler Master 212 EVO
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
8Gb (2 x 4GB) Corsair LP Memory 1600 MHz
Corsair HX750W PSU
nVidia 670 GTX FTW
Crucial m4 SSD 128GB
Seafarers 1TB HDD
Corsair 500R Case

Adroid

Distinguished
Once again, untill you confirm what errors you are getting, and confirm BIOS settings - there is no way to tell.
If you could tell what BSOD errors are happening, they could be completely unrelated to your CPU.

Your errors from your previous post were RAM errors seemingly. I wouldn't be so quick to jump and say its your CPU. Your CPU temps are fine, and seem to be perfectly in line with your cooler and settings. You are going to be dissapointed to buy a new CPU and find out that's not even the problem.

What voltage are you sending to your RAM? Post your BIOS settings and your BSOD error- or I give up ;)

mookial

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
RAM is set at default, so should be 1.5V. BIOS settings are at STOCK, everything is the way it was when unpackaged. As for the BSOD, I have not got one since I reverted back to default clocks. The BSOD error was 0x3B, which is usually not enough VCore from what I read. My question is why when I revert to all stock settings in BIOS my CPU can't pass stress tests?

Adroid

Distinguished

I don't assume anything when overclocking... I've seen motherboards put very strange timings and settings on default RAM - which can lead to crashes.