Switching mobos and cpus

rab1986

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
I currently have an MSI 790FX-gd70 motherboard with a phenom x4 965 cpu. I have had no real trouble with amd (or ati for that matter) however I thought that I'd try going with intel on the upgrade and have some questions because I'm fairly new at this.

I would like to switch mobos to a asus P6X58D-E LGA 1366(i plan on using nvidia video cards as well) with an i7 950.

I need to keep everything on my two hard drives. One is an intel x25-m ssd, with my operating system on it and the other is a 350gb seagate with pretty much everything else. I'm not sure how to keep everything but delete the amd drivers and msi drivers and how to install windows 7, the new bios and what not. Also how to delete the Ati drivers. I've read somethings on here but nothing that directly relates to what I'm trying to do.

Essentially what I want to do is switch motherboard, cpu, ram, an video cards but keep all the stuff on my hard drives and use the hard drives with the new build.

Thanks for any help.

That would be classified as major hardware change and require OS re activation and preferably clean install. Back up your important data you will have to reinstall everything so it registers OK. Chances are that you get away with repair install but is not guarantied to work optimally after wards.

Gekko Shadow

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
If you mean like plugging in the hard drive and using the OS installed on the previous board, that's going to cause alot of work & issues that would be best to avoid - especially if you don't want to loose all your data.

Fresh install is the way to go mate :)

rab1986

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
thanks all, I just wanted to switch it up and I liked the build that I have in mind. It would be considerably better than my current build and more future proof