Solved

Safe overclock for GTX 670?

Hi guys, my friend came over today and overclocked my gpu for me. He said that the following settings would be safe, but I'm ignorant about GPU voltage settings myself so I thought I should run it by you guys. Will these settings lower my card's lifespan?

19 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about safe overclock
  1. Oh for goodness sake please tell me you got this card recently??????
  2. Best answer
    While you get to answering that. For your last question, yes it will.
    As soon as you increase voltage lifespan is reduced, thats why we use it so sparingly.

    My suggestion to people is to OC their GPU from scratch themselves because what you get from a given voltage may not be the same as what your friend got. And if you can lower voltage with same clock rate. Why the hell not?
  3. you may find with the power limit you wont be able to reach anything unsafe. that is why they put the power limit there. If you go too much on voltage and clock speed, you will get lower performance as it automatically cuts back the boost clock. overcome that by doing this http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=29&post=282207&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0
  4. http://www.overclock.net/t/1265110/the-gtx-670-overclocking-master-guide Try this tutorial, it goes over EVERYTHING needed for GTX 670 overclocking, and takes into account that each chip is different.
  5. Best answer selected by farhankhan.
  6. Yup I only got this card the other day. Thanks for the input guys, I'll have a read through that tutorial and see if I can work this out.

    What would indicate that I need to increase the voltage supplied to the card? Artifacts in games?
  7. farhankhan said:
    Yup I only got this card the other day. Thanks for the input guys, I'll have a read through that tutorial and see if I can work this out.

    What would indicate that I need to increase the voltage supplied to the card? Artifacts in games?



    test your gpu through runs of Unigene. if unigene either crashes or you BSOD, then its not stable.
  8. farhankhan said:
    Yup I only got this card the other day. Thanks for the input guys, I'll have a read through that tutorial and see if I can work this out.

    What would indicate that I need to increase the voltage supplied to the card? Artifacts in games?


    Use Unique Heaven benchmark to stress test the GPU after raising clock, if no BSODS or restarts or artifacts occur, increase again till you get on of those. Then SLIGHTLY increase voltage until you get stability at a given clock. The fewer the better.

    Continue process while keeping an eye on temps, do not exceed 100C!!!
  9. Thanks for the help guys, I'm getting a stable 200 MHz OC without raising the voltage at all :)
  10. farhankhan said:
    Thanks for the help guys, I'm getting a stable 200 MHz OC without raising the voltage at all :)
    Wow, I was only able to get 132 mhz on the core, but I got 800 mhz on the memory with no voltage increase.
  11. Old thread, but yeah, that's not bad. I was only able to get a measly 90 mhz on my ASUS DirectCU II at stock voltage.
  12. i was only able to get 72ghz on my core clock
  13. 72mhz sorry
  14. Bennet John said:
    i was only able to get 72ghz on my core clock
    Lol, that would be amazing.
  15. what he was able to get 200mhz on core clock
  16. maybe im misunderstanding this but today ive oc my gtx 750 ti using afterburner and furmark, first i increased the core clock by 10mhz at a time then run furmark, kept this up till i reached 300 mhz and crashed, knocked it back to 290mhz and it was stable on furmark.
    then i reset it back to normal and did the same to the memory clock, ending up with that at 700mhz.
    put the 2 on together and it held up until i ran Heaven 4.0 then crashed....
    now it runs Heaven and i get a score of 2527, fps 100.3fps, max 179.8fps and min 31.3fps.
    this is without touching the volts. afterwards i played trials fusion for a couple of hours on ultimate settings 1920/1080.

    Trials fusion did slow down in the end and tomorrow i was going to try the voltage slightly to stabilize, but reading online i see that people are upping the volts then adjusting the core & memory again...

    I have never done this before and the amount i have added to the core and memory seems a lot compared with others and im worried i might be doing something badly wrong.

    could someone advice me.
  17. catthing said:
    maybe im misunderstanding this but today ive oc my gtx 750 ti using afterburner and furmark, first i increased the core clock by 10mhz at a time then run furmark, kept this up till i reached 300 mhz and crashed, knocked it back to 290mhz and it was stable on furmark.
    then i reset it back to normal and did the same to the memory clock, ending up with that at 700mhz.
    put the 2 on together and it held up until i ran Heaven 4.0 then crashed....
    now it runs Heaven and i get a score of 2527, fps 100.3fps, max 179.8fps and min 31.3fps.
    this is without touching the volts. afterwards i played trials fusion for a couple of hours on ultimate settings 1920/1080.

    Trials fusion did slow down in the end and tomorrow i was going to try the voltage slightly to stabilize, but reading online i see that people are upping the volts then adjusting the core & memory again...

    I have never done this before and the amount i have added to the core and memory seems a lot compared with others and im worried i might be doing something badly wrong.

    could someone advice me.
    Clock speed isn't comparable on different GPUs. So a GTX 770 @ 1200mhz wouldn't beat a GTX 780 @ 800mhz. So what I would do if I were you is look online, and see the overclocks other people are getting, and if you'res is around what others have its fine. Also make sure your temps are at a good temp.
  18. I have read and read but cant find anyone else that has done done it the way i have and got such high readings, also ive just read a bit about memory and doubling it. its all getting confusing.
  19. catthing said:
    I have read and read but cant find anyone else that has done done it the way i have and got such high readings, also ive just read a bit about memory and doubling it. its all getting confusing.
    On review sights I see overclocks of around 100-140mhz so you'res is higher, but if you can get it stable its fine. My HD 7970 stock clock is 925mhz, I have it at 1200mhz. Also GDDR5 memory's (The memory you will see on gaming GPUs) effective clock is 4x the base number. So this GTX 570 I'm running right now has a base of 950mhz but is technically running at 3800mhz. If I were you I would just focus on the core OC, because Memory OCs don't help out that much.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Overclocking GPUs Gtx