Which Sea Sonic X series?

relentless81

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Hi all

I'm gradually building my new PC, i've just bought the case and I want to buy a PSU next, i've been doing a hell of a lot of reading and my heads a little burned out, my current PC has a Hyper, cant remember the details but thats had a hammering and been going strong for three years with no issues what so ever

They dont really seem to be about anymore and after much reading I thought i'd consider the Sea Sonic X series, reviewers seem to like these a lot so I looked at the prices and

X750 = £140 GBP

X650 = £120 GBP

My questions are, do I need to pay the extra for the 750? O do I even need a PSU of this spec, I want to buy the best I can but these seem expensive, the only other model I have considered is the XFX but its an ugly looking thing and I dont really like green and its just based on a lower spec Seasonic than the X series?

Spec of my PC is rough at the mo but its something like

Asus main board socket AM3
Either a Phenom 4 or 6
1 x GPU Radeon 5850/70
2 x Western Digital 10K drives
Couple of optical drives
Creative sound card

Thanks for any help

relentless81

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Thanks, thats what I thought but a googled PSU calculater came back with a result of 672W on a similar specced system, think it might have been the newegg calculater, the one on the Antec site came back with 560W

relentless81

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Cool, that seems to be the same as the Antec one meaning that was the more realistic figure. Thanks.

The PSU will fit at the bottom of the case as its an Antec 900 2, I've noticed some PSU's have been fitted to cases with the fan facing downward instead of upward into the chasis, is that right? Or am I getting confused with something else?

If the case has a vented bottom I would say mount the psu fan down, the 900 2 doesn't, so you'll want to install the psu with the fan up.
You would think they might have learned something before revising the case.

Eithelwulf

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009

They did that bottom ventelated cases suck in dust and crap so they suck full stop :kaola:
Also haveing the bottom mounted psu faceing fan up increases air flow around you GFX cards makeing them cooler, tho this does have the effect of feeding your psu hot air from the gfx cards makeing it hotter. But this is said to be nothing it cant handle after all the psu was allways in the past mounted at the top of the case and as heat rises they used to get all the pc's heat. For many years the cooling fan on the psu was the only cooling fan in pc's, so is this a problem nah.

relentless81

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
That explains that then

I'm still in two minds on the PSU, any more thoughts?

Its because the PSU test states 560W which is max load and I know the Seasonic is a very well put together PSU and and probably do what I want it to with ease but another part of me thinks 560W and 650W are possibly to close and I should go 750W to be on the safe side

Eithelwulf

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
well wouldnt you like to silghtly future proof you pc are you ever thinking of crossfire, and dont forget a psu works better @ less than 75% load.

relentless81

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
I doubt i'll ever have two GPU's, i'm more concerned about the pric difference, if I see a benefit for the extra £20 then I might as well go for the 750, the benefit is peice of mind but I dont understand it all properly to know wether the 650 will be more than enough, seems the people that have replied think the 650 will do the job just fine, it would be nice to put that difference toward another part of the build

There are lower cost alternatives that would work just as well, you would lose out on the full modularity of the X Series, as well as a small amount of efficiency.
I'm in the US, so finding the options is up to you, here's a couple ;
Antec TPN 650
Corsair TX650
Corsair HX650

relentless81

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Thanks, I have seen those mentioned whilst reading up so what i'll do is i'll read up on them and compare them to the Seasonic based on features and cost. Wont be tonight though, i've had enough and dont get paid until Thursday anyway which is when i'll be ordering, i'll let you know what I go for and why.

Thanks again.

Eithelwulf

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009

If it helps to make you all warm and fuzzy inside, they are all built on Seasonic platforms.

relentless81

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Semi Passive?

I literally dreamt about PSU's last night, is that normal!? Its easier to choose a processor and main board combo than it is a PSU

I've decided not to go for the Seasonic X series, its just too expensive seeing as though I paid £60 for a Hyper and its lasted nearly four years and still going strong

I'm going to pay no more than £100 and for that I would like 750W, fully Modular (I hate cables) and a decent brand, is that asking too much? Its a shame the True Power New isnt fully Modular :(

Eithelwulf

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009

Well 1st off i havent seen a FULLY modular psu for quite a while now they all seem to have the ATX power cables +- a coulpe of others hard wired. But well most setups use the cables they are hardwireing in now. If i wer you i would go for the antec True power new, it has a good amount of conectors and is from good brand. Other than that one i realy think you are going to strugle to get much better for under £100.

TRENDING THREADS