What are my best options for ddr3 with my 980x

microterf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
I just got a 980x, and am getting a rampage iii, but can't decide on what memory I want to get. I want 12 or 24GB, but want to know if thereis any performance reason to go with 12 over 24. And if I need a set for 24, or would 2 12 GB sets work? 3rd, what's the best sets?

What is your work scenario.? Unless you are into running virtual machines and/or high polygon 3d modelling and designing or running a medium range data server etc., you won't be needing 12GB or more ram.. For gaming needs, you'll be plenty good with a 6GB (3 x 2GB) ram set.. So for fetching viable recommendations, provide the following info -

1. Your typical pc usage scenario.

2. Your CPU overclocking desires (if any).

3. Budget.

microterf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
The reason I want more RAM is really for VMs, (also why I went with 6 cores). That being said, I really don't want to lose too much speed AS I would love to play some games also. BTW, I am watercooling the process, and plan on OCing to 4.0 to 4.5, which should be fairly easy on that proc.

The nehalem processors are largely insensitive to ram speeds and latencies. Synthetic benchmarks show very well, but the impact on real application performance(or FPS) is minimal; on the order of 1-3%. The net is.. do not pay much more for faster speeds or better timings.

If you are uncertain how much ram you will need to hold all your apps without contention, then I suggest you get a 12gb kit made up of 3 x 4gb. Due to Intel spec definition, X.M.P. DIMMs and DDR3-1600 are supported for one DIMM per channel only. If you need more ram, you can add another kit later if needed.

Take the time to check that your selected ram kit/s will be supported on your motherboard. Go to the ram vendor's web site and access their configurator. Select from their list of compatible part numbers. If there should be a problem, you want to deal with explicitly supported product combinations.