Sign in with
Your question

Budget PC Upgrade

Last response: in Systems
March 8, 2010 7:06:13 PM

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of upgrading my mother's computer as it has now become frustratingly slow.

For now I'm going to keep her current HDD, case, power supply, DVD drive and buy the following:

- Intel Pentium Dual Core E5400 2.7GHz 800FSB Socket 775 2MB (2x1MB) L2 Cache Retail Boxed Processor

- Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L iG31 Socket 775 onboard VGA 7.1 channel audio mATX Motherboard

- Corsair 2GB DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory CL5 1.8V

This comes to a total of £125 which I think is pretty good.

She only uses it to browse the net, use Word etc.

Can anyone see any compatibility problems etc?

Thanks!

Amy

More about : budget upgrade

March 8, 2010 7:31:34 PM

The onboard graphics is pathetic, but then again, how many of them are actually good.

other than that, there shouldn't be any problems for entry level computing such as MS office and general web browsing.

Infact on 2nd thoughts, are the dvd drive and HDD ide or sata? THe motherboard has only one IDE port.
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
March 8, 2010 7:33:48 PM

Those parts are old tech. In order to keep it more current, and thus more likely to have upgrades to keep it in use, I would look into getting the following:

CPU: X2 245 47 pounds
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H 69 pounds
RAM: 2x Crucial 1GB DDR3 1333MHz CL 9 46 pounds

Total: 162 pounds. It's a little bit more, but it'll be a lot faster and last a lot longer.

You may also want to consider getting a new HDD, as that's typically the part that makes a computer seem the slowest. If you decide to get a new one, find either a Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB or Seagate 7200.12 500 GB.
Related resources
March 8, 2010 9:19:14 PM

Looks pretty good admiral, amy i would recommend going with admirals suggestion, it may be 47 quid more, but the cpu is about on par with the intel one, except cheaper. but the ram is much faster, the motherboard is much newer too. and it appears to have ide slots for old dvd/hdd drives.

p.s maybe you can help me find a mobo admiral. ive already got a thread open, although im looking for a intel one, not amd.
March 9, 2010 5:13:45 AM

+1 to MadAdmiral because AM3 will last you longer and you have the option to upgrade to better processor in future.

+1 to Samsung Spinpoint F3
!