Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

RAID0 with WD Caviar Black and Caviar Green

Last response: in Storage
Share
March 28, 2012 6:53:24 AM

I was using two 1TB WD Caviar Black HDDs (64MB Cache) in RAID0. Recently one of them failed (I lost my entire data) and i got it replaced. But instead of 1TB they have replaced it with a 2TB Caviar Black HDD. I have a 1TB WD Caviar Green (64 MB Cache) with me. Can I use this 1TB Caviar Green with my 1TB Caviar Black to create RAID0 to use it for the OS and unimportant files and use my 2TB Caviar Black for the important data and backups? I think Black is 6Gb/s and Green is 3 Gb/s, will that be a problem? Will I get any improvement in performance?
a b G Storage
March 28, 2012 10:09:57 AM

I wouldn't recommend that based on the power saving features for the Wd Green series. I don't know for certain it wouldn't work, but even if it did you would be wasting the speed of the quicker WD black drive by paring it with the green drive. You would be better off just installing the OS on the 1 wd black drive and using the wd green for something else.
m
0
l
a c 529 G Storage
March 28, 2012 10:13:38 AM

akbarbasha said:
Can I use this 1TB Caviar Green with my 1TB Caviar Black to create RAID0 to use it for the OS and unimportant files and use my 2TB Caviar Black for the important data and backups?


Yes, you can.

I think Black is 6Gb/s and Green is 3 Gb/s, will that be a problem? said:
I think Black is 6Gb/s and Green is 3 Gb/s, will that be a problem?


No, it won't be a problem.

Will I get any improvement in performance? said:
Will I get any improvement in performance?


No, you won't see any real world improvement in performance between your new RAID array and your old RAID array.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 28, 2012 11:17:49 AM

Thanks for the reply Dereck

Dereck47 said:
No, you won't see any real world improvement in performance between your new RAID array and your old RAID array.


But my doubt is, will the performance be better than just using the WD Caviar Black without RAID?
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 11:19:09 AM

tomatthe said:
I wouldn't recommend that based on the power saving features for the Wd Green series. I don't know for certain it wouldn't work, but even if it did you would be wasting the speed of the quicker WD black drive by paring it with the green drive. You would be better off just installing the OS on the 1 wd black drive and using the wd green for something else.


That explains.. Thanks Tomatthe.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
March 28, 2012 6:36:34 PM

You can use the Green drives in a RAID configuration, they will work, but I HIGHLY recommend using the WD Idle time utiliyt to change the idle time of your heads. The power saving feature that causes the problem is that the heads get parked if they're idle for more than like 8 seconds so they constantly park and unpark themselves and this wears out the drive. There is a free utility which allows you to change this setting in the drive itself. I have heard of many people successfully running the green drives in RAID after making this change. They will work without changing this but they will mostly have a reduced life expectancy.
Share
March 28, 2012 6:47:50 PM

tokencode said:
You can use the Green drives in a RAID configuration, they will work, but I HIGHLY recommend using the WD Idle time utiliyt to change the idle time of your heads. The power saving feature that causes the problem is that the heads get parked if they're idle for more than like 8 seconds so they constantly park and unpark themselves and this wears out the drive. There is a free utility which allows you to change this setting in the drive itself. I have heard of many people successfully running the green drives in RAID after making this change. They will work without changing this but they will mostly have a reduced life expectancy.


But what about the 3 Gb/s transfer rate difference???
m
0
l
a b G Storage
March 28, 2012 6:54:02 PM

No you won't see any difference from 3Gbps versus 6Gbps, neither drive can max out 3Gbps.
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 6:59:43 PM

tokencode said:
No you won't see any difference from 3Gbps versus 6Gbps, neither drive can max out 3Gbps.

Thanks.. So this is what am gonna do now, am gonna download WD Idle time utility, modify my Caviar Green HDD and use it with my Caviar Black for RAID0 and use the replaced 2TB as additional storage.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
March 28, 2012 7:09:05 PM

just so you know, if you RAID the green and the black, you're only going to get the performance of 2xgreen drives which will be slower than your original 2xblack drive array.
m
0
l
a c 529 G Storage
March 28, 2012 7:44:21 PM

The maximum data transfer rate of the 1TB 6Gb/s Caviar Black is 126MB/s.
http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/287...


The maximum data transfer rate of the 1TB 3Gb/s Caviar Green is 110MB/s.
http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/287...


You won’t notice any real world difference in performance between your old Caviar Black array and your new Caviar Black/Caviar Green array.

The synthetic benchmark difference will be 32MB/s slower (16MB x 2).
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 8:13:35 PM

tokencode said:
just so you know, if you RAID the green and the black, you're only going to get the performance of 2xgreen drives which will be slower than your original 2xblack drive array.

Yes.. And it ll be better than just using a single Caviar Black HDD, right?
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 8:17:15 PM

Dereck47 said:
The maximum data transfer rate of the 1TB 6Gb/s Caviar Black is 126MB/s.
http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/287...


The maximum data transfer rate of the 1TB 3Gb/s Caviar Green is 110MB/s.
http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/287...


You won’t notice any real world difference in performance between your old Caviar Black array and your new Caviar Black/Caviar Green array.

The synthetic benchmark difference will be 32MB/s slower (16MB x 2).



Yes, I think it wont make big difference. But I should pray that the HDD shouldn't fail. :p 
m
0
l
a c 529 G Storage
March 28, 2012 8:18:04 PM

akbarbasha said:
Yes.. And it'll be better than just using a single Caviar Black HDD, right?



Correct
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 8:26:26 PM

Thanks guys.. Thank you so much :) 
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 8:26:47 PM

Best answer selected by akbarbasha.
m
0
l
a c 155 G Storage
March 28, 2012 8:40:00 PM

I just want to drop in my 2 cents here.

Some years back, i was running 2(or was it 3, been a while) western digital blacks in RAID0 and it was doing some strange things(not failing, just erratic performance).

When I took the drives out of raid, i noticed one had much higher access times then the other. this led to the issue since one(or 2) drive was always waiting on the other.

The cause of this was somehow WDC had AAM on the one drive(easy to disable and it worked great after). Either way, I am not all that sure how well a green(generally has slower access times) and black(faster access times) will work in raid. sequential read/writes will be very good, random may suffer some.

Would be interested in a PM with the results when you get it all setup.
m
0
l
March 30, 2012 10:21:43 AM

tokencode said:
You can use the Green drives in a RAID configuration, they will work, but I HIGHLY recommend using the WD Idle time utiliyt to change the idle time of your heads. The power saving feature that causes the problem is that the heads get parked if they're idle for more than like 8 seconds so they constantly park and unpark themselves and this wears out the drive. There is a free utility which allows you to change this setting in the drive itself. I have heard of many people successfully running the green drives in RAID after making this change. They will work without changing this but they will mostly have a reduced life expectancy.

I used the WD Idle time utility and instead of changing the time I disabled it completely as my Caviar Black had it disabled. Hope it shouldn't have any problems in the future.
m
0
l
March 30, 2012 10:24:33 AM

nukemaster said:
I just want to drop in my 2 cents here.

Some years back, i was running 2(or was it 3, been a while) western digital blacks in RAID0 and it was doing some strange things(not failing, just erratic performance).

When I took the drives out of raid, i noticed one had much higher access times then the other. this led to the issue since one(or 2) drive was always waiting on the other.

The cause of this was somehow WDC had AAM on the one drive(easy to disable and it worked great after). Either way, I am not all that sure how well a green(generally has slower access times) and black(faster access times) will work in raid. sequential read/writes will be very good, random may suffer some.

Would be interested in a PM with the results when you get it all setup.

Yes, you might be right. Though the difference is very small, it might have issues. I set everything up and its running. Lets wait and see. Fingers crossed.
m
0
l
March 30, 2012 10:28:37 AM

Its up and running. I get upto 157MB/s and an average of 120MB/s write speed using TeraCopy. Thats great.
m
0
l
!