Processor Upgrades and Socket Compatibility

Okay so currently I have:
Gigabyte M57SLI-S4 Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ (with an AM2 socket)

I want:
AMD HDZ940XCGIBOX Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition 3.0GHz Cache 8MB AM2+ 125W Processor - Retail
But this is an AM2+ socket and I don't know if this will work in my motherboard. My back up:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor - OEM
Will work for sure but it's lame and I want the bigger badder one.
4 answers Last reply
More about processor upgrades socket compatibility
  1. nevermind guys dont bother replying. I just decided to get a new motherboard too so the problem doesnt exist anymore.
  2. Karava401 said:
    nevermind guys dont bother replying. I just decided to get a new motherboard too so the problem doesnt exist anymore.

Hope you haven't gone through with that yet...
  3. Here is the list of supported CPUs for your motherboard from the Gigabyte website:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2287&ver=#anchor_os

As you can see it will work fine in your motherboard, however you may need a BIOS update which is simple enough. However, your motherboard will only be able to utilise HyperTransport 1.0 instead of the newer HT3.0 which is supported by newer AM3 boards. I don't think this has too much of a performance impact in everyday use though. Best of luck!
  4. The cpu support list does support 95 watt Phenoms, including the C3's.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Socket AMD Dual Core Processors