Sign in with
Your question

Help? HDD problems

Last response: in Storage
March 28, 2012 12:03:42 PM

I just built my new desktop not much longer than a day ago. I installed the OS (windows 7 home premium 64bit) to my SSD (Corsair 120gb). So the computer is completely up and running, minus one little thing. I can't save anything to my HDD (WD Caviar Blue 500gb). It is recognized by the BIOS and shows up in the device manager, but when I either try and save something to it or go to Windows Explorer then computer, it isn't there as an option. I went to geek squad to see if they could give me a quick fix, but the just told me to try downloading SP1 (service pack 1) for windows 7, although I already have that downloaded. Obviously it didn't work >.< ha. Any suggestions? I figured this would be the best place to go since every is pretty nice and reply to questions SUPER fast ha.

More about : hdd problems

a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
March 28, 2012 12:19:20 PM

Is this a new HDD or are you re-using one of your old drives? If it is a new drive have you partitioned and formatted and assigned a drive letter to it?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
March 28, 2012 12:23:10 PM

What does it show in disk management?

Dont know the ultra shortcut... so Start->control panel->system and security -> under "adminitrative tool", select "create anf format hard disk partitions".

If it showing in Device manager - should be showing there... what does it show? any clue in there?

HTH
Cheers
m
l
Related resources
March 28, 2012 12:24:32 PM

It is a brand new HDD, and no I have not >.< ha. I'm sort of new to the whole building my own computer, so I'm a little bit of a noob. But I do know enough to get by, so just point me in the right direction and I should be able to figure it out.
m
l
March 28, 2012 12:28:29 PM

yoji said:
What does it show in disk management?

Dont know the ultra shortcut... so Start->control panel->system and security -> under "adminitrative tool", select "create anf format hard disk partitions".

If it showing in Device manager - should be showing there... what does it show? any clue in there?

HTH
Cheers

It does show up in that, it says "Disk 0 Basic 465.76 GB Unallocated Online"
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
March 28, 2012 12:31:09 PM

dtfwithme said:

LOL - as eluded to by clarkjd... looks lik eyou just need format it... in that screen I pointed you at... right click on the drive and select th eoption to format it... shoul dbe all you need to sdo.

And I think you need to reassess your comment "But I do know enough to get by" ;) 

HTH
Cheers
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
March 28, 2012 12:32:13 PM

dtfwithme said:

It has to be set up there.
Do you wan to use the whole drive as 1 big partition, or do you want to split it up? Once you figure that out, you can create the partitions, format them, and assign a drive letter to them, all from within device manager.
m
l
March 28, 2012 12:43:46 PM

yoji said:
LOL - as eluded to by clarkjd... looks lik eyou just need format it... in that screen I pointed you at... right click on the drive and select th eoption to format it... shoul dbe all you need to sdo.

And I think you need to reassess your comment "But I do know enough to get by" ;) 

HTH
Cheers

Haha alright, thanks for all your help. I guess I should have said "But I do know enough to get by, other than quite a few things relating to HDDs and SSDs" ha. Thanks again
m
l
March 28, 2012 7:05:32 PM

lol.. sometime we are get too busy in finding a solution when all we have to do was format it. I hope formatting was able to solve your problem if not then do share latest update.
m
l
!