Sign in with
Your question

Raid 0 question

Last response: in Storage
March 28, 2012 12:04:36 PM

so im considering a raid instead of an SSD and i currently have a samsung 500gb 7200rpm hdd, i cant get another one because they have been discontinued but i found this:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hitachi-internal-3-5-sata...

it seems to have the same specs as my current hdd but its a different make and model so my question is this: can i use raid 0 with them? will it give me a decent performance boost?

More about : raid question

a b G Storage
March 28, 2012 1:23:13 PM

you should have no problems and yes you will see a boost. keep in mind if one of the drives goes bad you are loosing everything
March 28, 2012 3:20:56 PM

surely there is some software which can merge the split files and restore them to another storage device?
Related resources
March 28, 2012 5:02:53 PM

okay let me throw out a scenario which will illustrate what I'm really asking, say my raid card fucks up, could i connect them up to thew mobo as JBOD's, boot up from another HDD and run a program which would merge the blocks in the order they are meant to be in?

this seem quite simple to me
a b G Storage
March 28, 2012 6:19:33 PM

IMHO you shouldn't bother with RAID 0, get the SSD. The SSD will be way faster and you can use a single HDD for large data. RAID 0 will double your chances of losing your data and will not be anywhere near as fast as an SSD.
a b Ô Samsung
a c 98 G Storage
March 28, 2012 6:30:47 PM

callumparker666 said:
okay let me throw out a scenario which will illustrate what I'm really asking, say my raid card fucks up, could i connect them up to thew mobo as JBOD's, boot up from another HDD and run a program which would merge the blocks in the order they are meant to be in?

this seem quite simple to me

If is the raid card, yes, you should be able to. But if the drive Fup, then no.
March 28, 2012 7:00:13 PM

thanks, know of any software that can do this tho? i doubt a standard HDD recovery utility would be capable of it, i doubt a standard utility would be able to do it
a b G Storage
March 28, 2012 7:07:08 PM

R-studio can merge the stripes back together and recover the files, I've used it successfully before on up to 12 drives in a RAID 10. r-tt.com
!