Sign in with
Your question

Voodoo 3 pci or gma 3100?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 24, 2010 6:34:56 PM

ok here's the situation, one of my desktop's gfx was dead(8500gt, long story....) during the vbios flash and now i need to use that for torrent. however the only dedicate gfx i had left is voodoo 3 1000 pci, is it better than my onboard gma 3100?

More about : voodoo pci gma 3100

a c 173 U Graphics card
February 24, 2010 6:45:31 PM

cheesesubs said:
ok here's the situation, one of my desktop's gfx was dead(8500gt, long story....) during the vbios flash and now i need to use that for torrent. however the only dedicate gfx i had left is voodoo 3 1000 pci, is it better than my onboard gma 3100?

You might want to hang on to that 3DFX card they are collectors items. As for your question no it isn't but at least it won't steal any of your system resources and bog down your cpu but is only good for 2D and retro gaming.

This little forum site can be of use to you.
http://www.falconfly.de/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

If you ever decide that you no longer want the card sell it rather than trash it. It will be good enough for 2D use with out to much over head for the cpu till you get your new card.
m
l
February 24, 2010 7:40:19 PM

nforce4max said:
You might want to hang on to that 3DFX card they are collectors items. As for your question no it isn't but at least it won't steal any of your system resources and bog down your cpu but is only good for 2D and retro gaming.

This little forum site can be of use to you.
http://www.falconfly.de/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

If you ever decide that you no longer want the card sell it rather than trash it. It will be good enough for 2D use with out to much over head for the cpu till you get your new card.

so you're saying voodoo3 is more powerful than gma 3100? the reason i using that computer is because of torrent and some old game like half-life/svencoop where my 9600gt would have compatibility issue...(dont ask...it ran l4d2 and hl2 perfectly but not on original hl...) if voodoo 3 is more powerful than gma 3100 than i'd just stick with it than onboard :p 
m
l
Related resources
a c 173 U Graphics card
February 24, 2010 7:44:00 PM

cheesesubs said:
so you're saying voodoo3 is more powerful than gma 3100? the reason i using that computer is because of torrent and some old game like half-life/svencoop where my 9600gt would have compatibility issue...(dont ask...it ran l4d2 and hl2 perfectly but not on original hl...) if voodoo 3 is more powerful than gma 3100 than i'd just stick with it than onboard :p 

Well you are in luck the original half life will play on the 3DFX card but what I am trying to say is the onboard gpu will slow your system down and use system ram as well. Any way think of it as a place holder till you get your new card that can play old games that won't normally work on newer cards.
m
l
February 24, 2010 7:51:37 PM

nforce4max said:
Well you are in luck the original half life will play on the 3DFX card but what I am trying to say is the onboard gpu will slow your system down and use system ram as well. Any way think of it as a place holder till you get your new card that can play old games that won't normally work on newer cards.

well the only few modern card that run hl without crash were 8600gts/8500gt but i gave my 8600gts to my mom and i screwed up my 8500gt during the test with nvflash. sad to said i did not listen to many ppl that warn me and insist to find out how to flash 9600gt and end up killed my 8500gt....

PS: voodoo 3 is not celletor's item anymore as today's technology is too far ahead what voodoo's capability can do. and yes i just did bench mark on gma 3100 and voodoo 3 and gma 3100 pwn voodoo 3 in 3dmark01se by 45~50% mergin, but regardless of it's advantage it's indeed handicap my processor as i cant do too much background task while gaming..so yeah voodoo 3 will stay for a while before i repair my 8500gt...
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
February 24, 2010 8:00:24 PM

cheesesubs said:
well the only few modern card that run hl without crash were 8600gts/8500gt but i gave my 8600gts to my mom and i screwed up my 8500gt during the test with nvflash. sad to said i did not listen to many ppl that warn me and insist to find out how to flash 9600gt and end up killed my 8500gt....

Do you get corrupted text/screen or just a black one? Do you get the beeps? If you do get a picture but scrambled you can try to restore the old bios if you know the commands blindly. This is why I am very careful in trying to avoid mistakes but have been lucky thus far. Keep the old rom in tacked.
m
l
February 24, 2010 8:11:24 PM

nforce4max said:
Do you get corrupted text/screen or just a black one? Do you get the beeps? If you do get a picture but scrambled you can try to restore the old bios if you know the commands blindly. This is why I am very careful in trying to avoid mistakes but have been lucky thus far. Keep the old rom in tacked.

yes i do have backup rom and i try to flash the same rom(8500gt) that is backup from nibitor without and mod or anything but it was stop during loading and crashed instantly with big beep and black screen(no error message!!) which i didnt see on my sucesseful 9600gt flash. even since that crash it is good as dead.

and cmd is exactly the same but i use floppy instead of bootable usb

and the cmd is c:\>nvflash original.rom and it worked for a while until it crash during flashing process.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
February 24, 2010 8:20:30 PM

cheesesubs said:
yes i do have backup rom and i try to flash the same rom(8500gt) that is backup from nibitor without and mod or anything but it was stop during loading and crashed instantly with big beep and black screen(no error message!!) which i didnt see on my sucesseful 9600gt flash. even since that crash it is good as dead.

and cmd is exactly the same but i use floppy instead of bootable usb

and the cmd is c:\>nvflash original.rom and it worked for a while until it crash during flashing process.

You must have flashed for higher clocks but if you can't boot the box at all then it is as good as dead.
m
l
February 24, 2010 8:25:47 PM

nforce4max said:
You must have flashed for higher clocks but if you can't boot the box at all then it is as good as dead.

to be honest...i did not touch setting but just copy the original one...no mod at all. but i suspected my evga 8500gt was factory oced version since in gpuz it's about 600/1500/500.

with the dead black screen and mainboard refuse to boot with that card(igp denied perhaps?) i just sunk with no clue how to flash it back...i even want to use my olddy voodoo 3 for the task to rescue my 8500gt..
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
February 24, 2010 8:30:15 PM

cheesesubs said:
to be honest...i did not touch setting but just copy the original one...no mod at all. but i suspected my evga 8500gt was factory oced version since in gpuz it's about 600/1500/500.

with the dead black screen and mainboard refuse to boot with that card(igp denied perhaps?) i just sunk with no clue how to flash it back...i even want to use my olddy voodoo 3 for the task to rescue my 8500gt..

Well it is worth a shot.
m
l
February 24, 2010 8:33:01 PM

nforce4max said:
Well it is worth a shot.

well i'll update my situation in next few day..to see if there's anyway to fix it. men that is the reason why i was too rushy to flashing my 9600gt and end up fail greatly....
m
l
!