Sign in with
Your question

According to newegg the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T...

Last response: in CPUs
a c 105 à CPUs
May 16, 2010 10:08:42 PM

is a top AMD seller* so can someone please explain

What is all the fuss about the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T???

I see all these adds for boutique gaming rigs with Phenom II X6 1090T over a Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition....why? Most games are played well with an AMD dual core, very well with a tri core, and most hardly use a 4th core.

*AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black edition
http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=34&n...
May 16, 2010 10:26:26 PM

Pride, thats what I think.
"Yeah I got six cores on my computer, Im the man" =)
m
l
May 16, 2010 10:45:35 PM

Well, not just based upon price.. these chips are alaogous in performance to the i5-750 (compare to 1055t) (quad core) and i7-860 (compare to 1090t) quad core chips... not the i 600/300 dual core chips.. I don't even know why Intel bothered to make these if they weren't going to (almost) simultaneously kill of socket 775? Morons... there seems to still be millions of chips in the pipeline left (e/q xxxx series)
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2010 11:48:52 PM

ct1615 said:

I see all these adds for boutique gaming rigs with Phenom II X6 1090T over a Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition....why? Most games are played well with an AMD dual core, very well with a tri core, and most hardly use a 4th core.

Correction most OLDER games are played well with an AMD dual core,very well with a tri core,and most hardly use a 4th core.
Many current games use 4 cores although 3 core processors will run many current games well.There are some current games that still run well with dual core CPU's.
6 core CPU's are ideal with video encoding and rendering and some other apps although a few gaming titles can already take advantage of 6 core CPU's.
Most games would run better with the Phenom II X4 965 BE.This might not be the case with next years titles.
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
May 17, 2010 1:27:15 AM

jj463rd said:
Correction most OLDER games are played well with an AMD dual core,very well with a tri core,and most hardly use a 4th core.
Many current games use 4 cores although 3 core processors will run many current games well.There are some current games that still run well with dual core CPU's.
6 core CPU's are ideal with video encoding and rendering and some other apps although a few gaming titles can already take advantage of 6 core CPU's.
Most games would run better with the Phenom II X4 965 BE.This might not be the case with next years titles.

crysis , fallout 3, and far cry 2 are still used as benchmark games and none are spring chickens in terms of game years. As PC gamers, we get the short end of the stick when it comes to games released so our OLDER games are new games (to us). Outside of Valve and Blizzard (mostly Blizzard) console ports and MMO are all we get. So while there is no dispute a 3rd and 4th core are better then two, dual cores still give solid game value. See the results below.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/balanced-gaming-pc-...

out of curiosity, what games show a clear advantage for 6 cores? At least that could help answer "What is all the fuss about the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T??? "
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 17, 2010 4:00:07 AM

its about bragging rights yawl,

GET YOW GRAPHS UP HOMIE
m
l
May 17, 2010 4:54:55 AM

perhaps not games, but someone like me, who do 3D renderings and animation, and during off-work hours do some ocassional gaming, 1090T is a great choice.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 17, 2010 5:07:30 AM

ct1615 said:

The 1090T is top AMD seller. But at the same time, the i7 980x is also intel Top Seller ( along with C2Q 8300 and the i7 930). So what does it mean? Does newegg count the total $ rather than the units sold? If they do then it makes sense since 1 single i7 980x is equivalent to up to 5 lower CPU's at the least.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 17, 2010 5:38:25 AM

ct1615 said:
crysis , fallout 3, and far cry 2 are still used as benchmark games and none are spring chickens in terms of game years. As PC gamers, we get the short end of the stick when it comes to games released so our OLDER games are new games (to us). Outside of Valve and Blizzard (mostly Blizzard) console ports and MMO are all we get. So while there is no dispute a 3rd and 4th core are better then two, dual cores still give solid game value. See the results below.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/balanced-gaming-pc-...

out of curiosity, what games show a clear advantage for 6 cores? At least that could help answer "What is all the fuss about the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T??? "

Microsoft Flight Simulator X will use 6 cores and I think FSX is already capable of utilizing 32 cores.
There is another similar discussion here
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/281955-28-what-extra-...

Intels 6 Core i7 980 X CPU would perhaps be the best for FSX rather than AMD's Thuban though.The 4 core i7 920's and 930's would most likely be better or a match for FSX if overclocked than a oc'd Phenom II X6 1090T although I haven't as far seen any benchmarks on this.Hard to say for now but the X6 1090T would probably run FSX pretty dang well.
m
l
a c 126 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 17, 2010 6:52:42 AM

arterius2 said:
perhaps not games, but someone like me, who do 3D renderings and animation, and during off-work hours do some ocassional gaming, 1090T is a great choice.

Pretty much. Gaming wont see a deffinative benefit of 6 cores (or 8/12 threads for Core i7) for another 2 or so years. Only 3D modeling/video editing.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 17, 2010 7:16:35 AM

For gamers, it's just about the bragging rights. Probably the price is also one reason to get it.
m
l
August 29, 2010 1:52:21 PM

Because it's a great chip even at 1 core utilized. Powers down the unused cores individually, overclocks very well, runs cool. And has 6 cores for the few times needed. Toms ran an article showing no downside for the extra cores. I have a 1055T - overclocked to 3.9 GHZ stable with lower than stock voltage. Idles at 20C, prime 95 for 24 hours never gets above 38C. yes it games awesome with good graphics card. yes the motherboard was cheaper as well, yes the AM3 socket will do bulldozer though i have a 6 core that rocks....
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 29, 2010 5:20:01 PM

suddenstop said:
What the heck kinda machine is that???????

I would guess it's 4 of AMD's 12 core opterons in a workstation/server. Than again it could also be 24 Xeon cores with hyperthreading too.
m
l
!