tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
I was looking at those but I ultimately opted for a cruicial m4 SSD. The Revo drive required special drivers which I didn't care for and I didn't want to use up one of my PCIe slots for storage. Yes they're faster, but SSDs are so fast that I don't know how much of a difference it would really make. Windows is booted before the animation can finish as it is, even if it was 30% faster, it would save maybe 0.2 seconds on boot?

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
well my objective is to remove the bottle neck as much as possible i understand that current softwere is not up to par with the teck but i am really concerned with the future os's that are still under devolpment not today's i jist wont to know if it works as a primary without any support hard drive or even secondary hard drive as far as the pcie slot i have 4 i only use 1 currently thanking about using two for video but i will never use 4 for video

If you're going to build a new system, go with a SSD (or 2 in RAID 0). Better performance per dollar, and cheaper than the RevoDrive. Get at least 128GB (total) for your needs.

Then use a large hard drive for storage. Many, many reason why.

I too was looking in the RevoDrives, which many said work in my rig, with correct driver install and such, but I opted away. Cost was the biggest factor.

well my objective is to remove the bottle neck as much as possible i understand that current softwere is not up to par with the teck but i am really concerned with the future os's that are still under devolpment not today's i jist wont to know if it works as a primary without any support hard drive or even secondary hard drive as far as the pcie slot i have 4 i only use 1 currently thanking about using two for video but i will never use 4 for video

Nice run on sentence!

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
For any type of home/game use i think you'll find any of the modern SSDs to be more than fast enough. If you want to "future proof" your machine, I think you're better saving the money by going with an SSD and having that money available for upgrades whenever the future OSes become available. The Revo drives are faster, but you pay a premium for them as compared to SSDs. The Revo can work as your primary drive with no additional HDD. They are about $150- $200 more expensive than a comparable size SSD though, I'd go with an intel or samsung 240/256GB SSD and spend the difference on a monitor or 2nd video card if I were you but it all depends what your priorities and budget are.

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
no real budget to speak of, but i do like the samsung ssd 2.5 specs, i'm jist scared that the sata III port will be dwarfed by new os's designed to handle the pcie interface for this purpose. curently the sata port is almost maxed by these drives where as the pcie port still has room to grow, but i don't belive that the pcie port is being used properly by the current os capability, but your right, is it worth the price? when you can get a better overall performance out of a sata ssd today. thank you for your time today i will wait to see what other say about this issue.

You're looking a WAY future proofing your system!

By the time OS fully utilize PCIe drives, we'll all need new rigs anyway, since CPU will be better/faster, and chipsets on mobo the same.

Any new OS (usually) will be backwards compatible, to support extisting hardware with several exceptions with Windows 7 and printer drivers.

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

i thank that you misunderstand what i mean, i wont the motherboard to be designed to accept a harddrive in te pcie slot, sorry it took me so long to respond to you but i was on another thred, you seem to like your set up thow, it is not really for furture proffing thow, here is a prime example of what i mean, in 2002 i bought 4 36.4 gig rapters hdd's thay were set up to accept both ide and sata conectors, i still use them today, what i really look for it tech that is ahead of its time. that has a lot to do with my job, i am a electronics design engineer i don't design compters, but the tech is universal to a point, my biggest problem is choosing the wrong tech like beta, LDP, and firewire, i have made bad chooses in the past about tech. what will make it and what does not so today i reach out to other's like yourself to get there openions on the situation, by the way my spelling is horrible, and i do not check everything with ms word so pleases excuse me for this.

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
interesting I did not even realize that this was out there, look's cool, do you know any one that is using this drive, I would like to get there opinion on it, or even yours, I mean you're using ssd drives, so you have a valid opinion on this topic