Pairing 5900 RPM HDD w/ SSD??

So, I'm building a new rig and was wondering if it made sense to us a cheaper HDD to offset the cost of an SSD. I was going to pick up a Samsung 128GB SSD and was looking at some 5900 RPM HDDs.

I'm going to be using a number of music creation programs, including Ableton Live, Reason, and Pro Tools. I will also be using the Adobe Suite for video/photo editing.

If I keep the OS (W7) and the primary application files on the SSD and use the HDD for storing and calling up media files, will I notice any significant performance hit by using the 5900 RPM HDD versus going with a 7200 RPM HDD? I'm guessing no because the bottleneck in rendering performance is the processor, RAM, and the SSD OS page file, but I thought I'd ask some people who are more knowledgeable than myself. Thanks!
4 answers Last reply
More about pairing 5900
  1. I do not think it is a noticeable difference if the application is running of the SSD.
  2. I'm using a 160GB Intel 320 SSD + a 1TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900rpm. I have a handful of apps on the SSD, but the rest are running off the Seagate. I'm perfectly happy with it. I think you can probably put most of your media-creation tools on your SSD with Windows and have room. You might have to pick and choose a few. But I think it would be a rare occasion that you'd notice any major difference.

Just remember to leave around 15GB free on your SSD. Performance degrades if it gets too full.
  3. Thanks for the info. Just out of curiosity, what apps are you running from the SSD and which are you running from the HDD?

Also, I was wondering if anyone might have tried both the 5.9K and the 7.2K HDDs and noticed if there was any significant difference in performance and/or have some sort of quantitative insight as to the difference when paired with a SSD.

Thanks again!
  4. MaelstromMaster said:
    Thanks for the info. Just out of curiosity, what apps are you running from the SSD and which are you running from the HDD?

Also, I was wondering if anyone might have tried both the 5.9K and the 7.2K HDDs and noticed if there was any significant difference in performance and/or have some sort of quantitative insight as to the difference when paired with a SSD.

Thanks again!

I'm obviously using the SSD for booting Windows, but I also have Photoshop/Illustrator, a few games, and a few other miscellaneous utilities. I'm not on it right now, so I can't remember everything for certain. On the HDD, I have a few dozen other games and I really can't remember what else I'm running off of there. I have Office, but I really can't remember which drive I'm running it from. Sorry, that doesn't really help. If I can, I'll try to remember to let you know later when I get home tonight.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives SSD Storage