Problem with GA Z77 D3H

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Overclocking
  • CPUs
Last response: in Overclocking
January 6, 2013 4:04:31 PM

Hi everyone,

Today i've been overclocking my 3570k, however though i had a hard time doing so.

First of all: how come i can't use cpu offset when i choose the voltage i want to run at myself? there's no option to turn cpu offset on or off, it only works when i put Vcore on "normal" which is accualy "auto" that enables cpu offset/DVID.

Another problem I had is; enabling C1E does not undervolt the cpu on idle, this is what it does, right? it just stays at 1.115V all the time.

also, is there any way to disable LLC? i have 5 options (low, medium, high, turbo and extreme) where medium undervolts the cpu under load with about 0.010V and high overvolts with 0.010V.

just a side note; this is my first time overclocking.

Can someone help me please?

Thanks in advance,

Demisor

More about : problem z77 d3h

a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
January 6, 2013 8:00:09 PM

Read, Read, Read....

LLC fights against vDroop and should only be used if you have to. It puts more stress on the VRM's on the motherboard. vDroop is the voltage drop from the processor using all of the power.

Let's look at voltages...

Automatic. (You have an Ivy Bridge, it doesn't run fixed voltage).... At idle the average Ivy Bridge 3570k will run around 0.85v or so and jump up to 1.2v at load when at stock clocks.

Offset mode simply allows you to fine tune this "automatic" voltage range...

Fixed voltage is just as it sounds. It sets a fixed voltage that the motherboard always pushes into the CPU.

Honestly, you need to study the options you have. A good idea is to write down the options you have in the bios and then use Wikipedia or google to really learn and understand what each setting does.
January 7, 2013 1:52:58 PM

thanks for your answer but you haven't helped me

i can't run a neutral LLC mode or put it off that's one

i can't choose what offset i want when i have chosen to run at 1.115 for example, the box turns grey

C1E state doesn't work when have chosen to run at a specific voltage, only when i run on vcore "auto"

Thanks for trying to help me though
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2013 2:05:51 AM

When you set the voltage at 1.115, you're completely disabling the offset/automatic voltage. Therefore you won't drop any voltage at any time aside from vDroop. C1E doesn't control the voltage, the VID of the processor does which is disabled from being used when you set a fixed voltage like 1.115.

LLC works like this depending on the motherboard but the general workings are like this.

0% - Auto/Off
25% - Low
50% - Medium
75% - High
100% - Maximum

Depending on the motherboard, the settings can each be different. For example mine is determined by levels. Level 1 being completely off and level 5 being on maximum.

Like I said before, vDroop occurs when the processor is put onto a load. Where even a fixed voltage of say, 1.115v at idle may drop to 1.100v at full load. The vDroop would be 0.015v. LLC can be used to adjust this and is usually used with fixed voltages. So if you wanted to add some LLC, you'd set it to say medium and it may keep the processor at 1.110v, while the next higher setting may result in a 1.120v reading. It's not a perfect science as it wasn't designed to be.

The processor you have wasn't designed to run at a fixed voltage. As I said before, when set up at stock settings it will vary it's own voltages between a range predetermined by the VID on the chip. This enables the uses of such things as voltage offset, low idle voltages, and other various abilities. Setting a fixed voltage completely disables these options hence the "greyed out" effect you receive.

So offset only works if there's no fixed voltage. You can't run a variable voltage if you set a fixed voltage to run. Offset only works with a variable and not a set number. As for a neutral LLC, the best setting is off. If vDroop is causing you an issue, it can remedy it on occasion but usually is only needed when you're squeezing that last few hundred megahertz out of your processor.

Like I said before... Read, read, read. The internet is a giant encyclopedia just waiting to be tapped.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2013 5:14:34 AM

Steddora has given you some good advice above. Being as I have the same motherboard you do, I will add a little bit.

You cannot disable LLC, but in effect putting the LLC to turbo / extreme will essentially "disable" the LLC, because it effectively eliminates Vdroop.

Vdroop is not a bad thing as posted mentioned above - it could in theory prolong the life of your chip. That said, my LLC is at medium for a 4.3GHZ overclock. You will likely need more if you push harder.

C1E is a power saving feature that will not do much when you are running a constant voltage.

I personally don't completely understand the methodology of offset voltage, so I won't be much help there. I do know I feel safer running a constant manual voltage that is within my comfort zone (this is not my first overclock).

First time overclocking? Disable your GPU on your CPU, make sure that voltages don't go too high, and equally important make sure your temperatures don't go higher than they should be. Read lots of guides.

What CPU cooler are you using, and what are your current temperatures?
January 8, 2013 5:50:36 PM

Thank you both for your answers, i guess i'll need to check what auto voltage it runs at and then put my offset to -0.xxx so that it reaches about 1.115 volts since that is stable, steddora?

Scythe mugen 3, under 72°C with intel burn test (20 minutes) @ 4.2 and 1.115V

Thanks again! :D 
January 8, 2013 6:00:31 PM

i say -0.xxx volts because on auto it overvolts :) 
January 8, 2013 8:00:50 PM

It's working, Thanks alot!
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2013 11:10:35 PM

Next step - check your windows Event Log in Custom => Adminitrative. Let me know if you see WHEA errors.
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2013 8:36:38 AM

demisor said:
Thank you both for your answers, i guess i'll need to check what auto voltage it runs at and then put my offset to -0.xxx so that it reaches about 1.115 volts since that is stable, steddora?

Scythe mugen 3, under 72°C with intel burn test (20 minutes) @ 4.2 and 1.115V

Thanks again! :D 

In theory yes. In practice, maybe not. You'll have to find the offset where the chip is capable of keeping itself stable. If you're stable at 1.15v fixed, you may not be stable until the offset can reach 1.175v. You just have to take the time to hit the sweet spot. And remember, IntelBurnTest is good, but it's no replacement for a day worth of Prime95 testing to be positive of stability.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2013 10:38:08 PM

What program is showing your voltage is at 1.15V?

and +1 to Prime95 - I personally think it is the best stability testing program.
January 10, 2013 12:39:28 PM

Android: i have no idea what WHEA errors are but i've got about 337 of them ;) 
i used cpuz to show the voltage and it's 1.115 btw not 1.15 :) 
i havent stressed it like i should yet, did a 2 hr prime test, no errors, ill do a 12 hrs test this weekend, so far im stable and no bsod's

Anyways, thanks for all the help, my offset is at -0.095 right now, it's @ 1.115 while gaming and peaks of 1.128 with prime, which i am okay with because it's still under the standard voltage

Thanks again
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2013 5:09:19 AM

It means your overclock is not entirely stable... To fix it, you will need to add voltage. Some people just ignore it, but I like to know my overclock is rock solid stable.

WHEA errors are basically an error that your CPU corrects before it causes a crash, etc. That to me suggests your CPU is not running optimally. It could be spending its CPU power running your games and applications instead of fixing it's own errors.

Anyway - voltage bump fixxed mine. I slowly bumped up the voltage until WHEA errors disappeared. Sure, I could boot @ 4.4GHZ with voltage around 1.235, but I ended up @ 4.3GHZ with 1.240 voltage.

I don't think I got the best CPU. I do know I'm considerably under the max for the chip, and my temperatures are fine under load... So - I'll stay where I'm at. Fast, reasonable temperatures, and rock solid stable.
January 11, 2013 5:16:59 AM

I have the same board. So you have to set it to normal and next to it the mobo will tell you the voltage it has set. This will change depending on what multiplier you have. For example i have mine at 45X and it says its gonna run at a set normal voltage of 1.36 volts. So on the vdroop setting or the offset i manuallly put -0.06 since i dont need 1.36 and only need 1.3 volts max when im running anything. and from there it idles down to .617 volts and jumps up to 1.308 when it hits its peak. 48 hour prime tested on mine. 2500k processor though so results might be different.
!