Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Build - No Post - Continuous Short Beeps - Need Help Desperately

Last response: in Systems
March 8, 2010 9:55:41 PM

Hi,

Just put my first build together and am having a serious problem... after 3 days of tests I still cannot get anything up on the screen... havnt seen the BIOS screen once... the computer just turns on and does nothing, or sometimes it will turn on for about 15 seconds then restart and continue the loop. All fans and LEDs turn on, just nothing on the monitor. This is tried and tested on different monitors using different cables/ports and GPUs.

Today I went down to Maplin and bought a motherboard speaker... sure enough when I turned the computer on today I got continuous short beeps.

My motherboard manual states the problem to be:

"Continuous Short Beeps: Power Error"

Now I need to know how I can find out exactly what the problem is. Is it my PSU? Is it my motherboard? Is it a cable or connection? What can I do to find out what the problem is.

All connections to the motherboard are correct and unfortunately the only other PSU I have is 200W max and probably has wrong connectors.

Here is my setup:

- GA-P55M-UD4
- Intel i5 750
- 2x2GB Crucial DDR3 PC3-10600 1.5v Ram
- Corsair TX650W PSU
- Sapphire Vapour-X Ati Radeon HD 5770
- Coolermaster Elite 310
- Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm

I've been tearing my hair out over this for the last 3 days... what would you do in my position... any help is much appreciated.

Thanks so much for reading this and for any advice given.
March 8, 2010 10:19:11 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
We have a sticky just for troubleshooting your type of problem. The first step in troubleshooting is to perform EVERY step in this checklist:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

Thanks Shortstuff_mt, I forgot to mention that I've been through all of this list with no luck. Any other thoughts?
m
l
Related resources
March 8, 2010 10:36:28 PM

None that aren't in the checklist. I keep it up to date with all the good troubleshooting ideas I come across either on my own or through other forum members. That checklist solves 95% of these types of problems if you perform EVERY step. It's possible a part is DOA if you really have performed every step, but it's far more often user error. :) 

So there was no change when using each stick of RAM by itself? Are you 100% sure the 8-pin CPU power connector and the 6-pin PCI-E power connector are both firmly plugged in? What was the result of the breadboarding suggestion at the end of the checklist?
m
l
March 9, 2010 12:05:24 AM

Try resetting the CMOS, that's usually the first step to finding out what's wrong. If that doesn't help, then like shortstuff said, it's probably DOA.
m
l
March 9, 2010 8:31:58 AM

I've tried the RAM in every possible combination and have been breadboarding for the last couple of days now to make things easier to test... I will have a bit more of a play around tonight though.

I reaaaallly hope this is a case of (my) user error, but I've feel like I've quadruple checked every component. All power connectors connectors clip in perfectly.

blu3flannel, thanks for the input... I have tried resetting the CMOS several times with no luck (reset switch AND taking battery out).

If this is a case of DOA, then how would I go about identifying which component is broken?

Surely its going to have to be either the PSU or Motherboard... how can prove which?

Thanks.
m
l

Best solution

March 9, 2010 12:31:13 PM

The breadboarding thread has a paragraph about building the PC in stages and what you should see (well, hear) at each stage.

Power supply checkout:

Try to borrow a known good PSU of similar capacity. Or better yet, see if you can test your PSU in another working system. If you cannot do that, try to borrow a DMM to measure the voltages. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if it can not pass this, it is dead.

If all of the outputs are good, reconnect the PSU and repeat the checks.
March 9, 2010 2:56:03 PM

Thanks jsc, really useful comments.

I will try this at home tonight and let you know how it goes :)  .

Fingers crossed!
m
l
March 10, 2010 8:10:29 AM

Right, I managed to use my new PSU on an older system... so that effectively rules it out as the cause of the problem.

I have also borrowed a graphics card off a friend and will be trying that out tonight to rule out my GPU from the equation.

When I take the ram out, I still get the beeps for a power error... so memory is not the probem.

So we are left with CPU or Motherboard...

How would I go about checking either? Considering I know noone who has a P55 board and noone who has a compatible CPU.

Any ideas??

Many thanks.
m
l
March 12, 2010 11:20:21 AM

Right, Graphics Card is out of the equation.

Can anyone please recommend a way of finding out whether the CPU or the motherboard is the problem... which is most likely?

Cheers!
m
l
March 13, 2010 4:56:00 PM

Best answer selected by Frukoz.
m
l
!