Sign in with
Your question

New i7-920 build on a budget - need advice!! UPDATED

Last response: in Systems
March 8, 2010 11:21:13 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: The sooner the better, but I am willing to wait and buy components over time, if needed, to get the best deal.

BUDGET RANGE: $900 after rebates if possible!

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Multitasking, Media (streaming with media center; watching and recording TV, mp3 playing and converting; movie watching; video ripping, editing, and converting), surfing the internet, photo editing, 3D CAD modeling (in student version of Pro/Engineer), working from home with basic Office programs. I don't play games on my PC.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, speakers, OS (will be using Win7 Pro 64 bit). I plan on buying a monitor separately outside of this price range.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com. I have a Frys locally as well and travel to cities with MicroCenter (I've seen their awesome price on the i7-920 processor for $199). Open to other dependable sites if the price is right.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Leaning towards Intel i7-920 or i7-930 and x58 socket 1366 for future upgrades. Considered i7-860 and i5-750 as well. I hate waiting for processors while converting or editing videos or photos and typically run many programs at once so that's why I lean towards the ones I mention. Want at least 1TB hard drive and a cheap DVD burner. I thought I could save money on the GPU (since I don't game), but want the option of 2 monitors one of which will be 25" minimum, 1920x1200, and I don't know what is needed for TV watching, recording, or my CAD modeling. Maybe a cheaper 1GB GPU?

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe in the future, but plan on stock heat-sink for now

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Need to buy an LCD (recommendations welcome). Planning on at least 25", likely 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I want an understated full-tower case that looks nice without any crazy lights or clear openings. Quiet would be ideal. I don't buy computers very often at all (5 years minimum) so I want something as high end and future ready as possible. I've never built my own machine so any advice is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Possible components so far:
CPU: i7-920 for $199.99 at Microcenter

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R $199 at Microcenter. This is a shot in the dark, but I like the possibility of USB 3.0 if it's worth it.

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3, $89.99 at Newegg

RAM: G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz, 7-7-7-18, 6GB, $169.99 at Newegg (will something cheaper work for me 'cause this is killing my budget?)

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12Vm $89.99 at Newegg

DVDR: something cheap?

GPU: need help. Something along the lines of Radeon 4670, 5670, 4770? I'm clueless on what to pick.

Case: Need help here. Don't need anything fancy so was hoping to save some money here.
March 9, 2010 1:27:19 AM

CPU:[/] i7-920 - Good choice - great lvl CPU and gives you the option to OC later if you want

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R - I am running this board and for the money it is fantastic. As you mentioned the USB 3.0, 6 GBs Sata speed, and also has 6 slots for memory over the previous board that only had 3.

HDD: maybe spend a little more and go for the WD HDD shown here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - it would mate to the MB really well - 6 GBs Sata, and 64 MB cache would give fantastic speeds. - awesome value for money

RAM: G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz, 7-7-7-18, 6GB - that is fine - the board is Tri Channel so the 6 GB (3 x 2GB) is a good option - I went for the Corsair 1600 MHz option but anything round this range is good

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12Vm - That or this one would also be good http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

DVDR: dont go for anything flash unless you want to add lightscribe - but these again are cheap as chips

This only leaves you about $150 left for your budget and you still need a GPU and Case

GPU: Guessing by that you wish to use ATI ? As a good all round card in the AtI range perhaps the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ? But that will blow your budget pretty well out of the water but it does give you a decent GFX card with the latest features.

Or you could go with the card that only has 128bit instead of 256 here - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - and at only $169 would keep you closer to your overall budget

Case: You could go for this one (same as I went with) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - has some decent fans on board with the ability to add more if you need. Also a button to turn off the LED's if you dont want a big glowing case. The front mounted e-sata and 4 fat USB ports are also helpful. Overall good value for money.

Perhaps if you could find some RAM a little cheaper it might make it easier to stay within budget - but this system above would get you close and offer a nice setup
m
l
March 9, 2010 1:38:48 AM

I may be wrong, but for someone who never games on there pc a 5770 is quite abit of overkill.
m
l
Related resources
March 9, 2010 2:24:31 AM

good point! If not gaming then you can go cheaper on the GFX and save more. Just about any GFX card would run the basic's you have mentioned. Depending on the type of CAD work, and your budget, the 57 may still be ok
m
l
March 9, 2010 2:42:44 AM

I was thinking ATI because that is what everyone seems to recommend, but I don't think I need to spend over $100 to meet my needs. Any advice on GPUs below $100? There's so many of them out there, and so many versions of the same board, I'm totally confused about what to go for.

I like that case, and the ability to turn off the LEDs is an option that I like. I've also seen some in the $50 range like the Antec 300 and Cooler Master Elite 335. Are there big advantages to spending more money on the cases? Sorry, but this is one area that I really haven't researched much yet.
m
l
March 9, 2010 8:02:00 AM

They will tell you there are reasons to spend heaps on a case but in most cases it comes down to preference and what you like.

Decide on the size you are after - ATX, tower etc and then get one that you like the look of. You did mention that you wanted a full tower and one that is quiet so bear that in mind when considering the number of fans etc.

Some of the more expensive cases will have extras - adjustable fan controls, front mount ports, better quality fans which would run more quietly etc.

some would say the better option is to go for something that isn't plastic - better build quality. Perhaps one that is "Toolless" so you don't have to worry about if you need to change things out.

Antec and Cooler Master make great cases IMO so you cant really go wrong with options from them.

I chose that CM Scout case for me because I liked the design / build quality. Good cable routing options - heaps of space for HDD's, and with plenty of options to run more fans if needed later on. I think it runs pretty quiet as well - certainly doesn't sound like a jet taking off or anything :p 

The cases you have mentioned and the ones i pointed out are mid towers - not a full tower. But for the system you are running unless you really want a full tower you dont need one

GFX card wise

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ($99) would do a great job for what you would use it for.

as would this one most likely http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ($75)

Best of luck
m
l
March 9, 2010 2:26:37 PM

Thanks demandred. I think maybe I'll go to Fry's or something and look at cases to see what the size options are and what size I like. I do like the fan controls as well as the front mounted USB and eSATA so the CM Scout looks nice so far. I'll look into those video cards. The more options people give me, the more confused I'm getting :-).
m
l
March 31, 2010 5:11:48 AM

Hey folks,
I need some final help on my build. Hoping to buy tomorrow!

CPU: I already bought the i7-930 at Microcenter

Mobo: Still leaning towards the GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R. Has USB 3.0 and is around $200. Concerned with some reviews saying the onboard audio is not great. I'll be using this with a nice set of computer speakers and listening to a lot of music. Any concerns from those that have this board??

HDD: 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F3, $89.99 at Newegg

RAM: OCZ Gold 6GB, DDR3 1600, $130.99 on Newegg. Nice rebate on this one.

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12Vm $79.99 at Newegg

DVDR: Sony Optiarc, $24.99 at Newegg

GPU: Still can't decide, but want 1GB memory on the card for sure. Could go 5670 or 4850 for around $110, 4670 for around $80. I guess I'm open to the NVidia cards as well if they're recommended, possibly a 9600GT or maybe a GTS 250 if there's a sale.

Case: Considering Storm Scout, Antec 900, CM HAF922. Really like the idea of the 4 USBs and eSata on the Storm Scout, but also like the idea of being able to control the fans. Saw the Antec 300 at Fry's today for $49.99 and would give up the eSata, but it has the ability to control fan speed. I guess I'm leaning towards that to save some money unless I'm better off spending more on the other cases I mentioned.

Any comments?????? Thanks for your help!!!!!
m
l
May 29, 2010 4:49:45 AM

Dre325,
Hopefully this post finds you before you buy a Graphics card... I highly recommend a professional workstation graphics adapter if you do not game as they are optimized for CAD and video work (encoding, etc.). I used a gaming card for cad for a while and was very frustrated compare to what I used at the office. I invested into an ati v7700 and have not regretted it.
m
l
!