Sign in with
Your question

SSD Performing?

Last response: in Storage
March 28, 2012 10:42:27 PM

I have the M5A88-m motherboard, which has SATA III connectors. I just got a SSD that supports SATA III. Do I need a different connector than what I've used for SATA I or II?

When I look at Specyy for my system, it says the transfer mode is SATA III, but the interface is SATA.

Does that mean it's performing at the SATA III rate?

thanks.

More about : ssd performing

a c 1099 V Motherboard
a c 261 G Storage
March 28, 2012 10:46:40 PM

Yes it is.
It should be at SATA III on that board since all of them are and it says SATA III transfer mode! If you are using a cable that came with your board you should be fine.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 283 G Storage
March 29, 2012 9:33:40 PM

I assume you mean you have the Asus M5A88-M motherboard. The AMD SB850 chipset supports a total of six SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd's.

rolli59 is correct. Simply use the SATA cable that came with your motherboard and you'll be fine.

BTW - According to the international standard there is no difference between a SATA 1, SATA 2, or SATA 3 cables. They are all identical. It was done on purpose so manufacturers would not have to produce a bunch of different cables each with its own unique configuration. If you see a cable advertised as a SATA 3 cable just think of it as exaggerated advertising.
m
l
April 5, 2012 1:20:04 AM

I used a program to test read speed on my new SSD, and it only says 150GB/s. If I have the right cable, and did a simple NTFS formatting with 64k aloocation size, why the slow speed? I have the AMD quad core 3.6GHz CPU.

Any ideas?
m
l
!