jimlau

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
I have the M5A88-m motherboard, which has SATA III connectors. I just got a SSD that supports SATA III. Do I need a different connector than what I've used for SATA I or II?

When I look at Specyy for my system, it says the transfer mode is SATA III, but the interface is SATA.

Does that mean it's performing at the SATA III rate?

thanks.

I assume you mean you have the Asus M5A88-M motherboard. The AMD SB850 chipset supports a total of six SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd's.

rolli59 is correct. Simply use the SATA cable that came with your motherboard and you'll be fine.

BTW - According to the international standard there is no difference between a SATA 1, SATA 2, or SATA 3 cables. They are all identical. It was done on purpose so manufacturers would not have to produce a bunch of different cables each with its own unique configuration. If you see a cable advertised as a SATA 3 cable just think of it as exaggerated advertising.

jimlau

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
I used a program to test read speed on my new SSD, and it only says 150GB/s. If I have the right cable, and did a simple NTFS formatting with 64k aloocation size, why the slow speed? I have the AMD quad core 3.6GHz CPU.

Any ideas?