Sign in with
Your question

Graphics Card Won't Run

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 24, 2010 8:01:14 PM

I am running a Saphhire HD 3850 AGP graphics card.

Whenever I install the card and start up the computer, the fan won't turn and nothing shows on the monitor (the indicator light is orange).

The card will, however, run on mono (when the power connector is unplugged) so the card itself isn't broken.

I have installed the drivers and uninstalled my old drivers. I am certain that my system meets all the requirements...except one thing.

The card requires a 450W or greater PSU with 30 A on 12 volt rail with 2x4 power connector.

I have a Corsair VX450W psu. However, I'm not sure what "12 volt rail with 2x4 power connector" means so perhaps this is the problem (but everything with the card hooks up right).

Any ideas, recommendations, anything...please help me!

More about : graphics card run

a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2010 8:08:43 PM

Blinxer said:

I have a Corsair VX450W psu. However, I'm not sure what "12 volt rail with 2x4 power connector" means so perhaps this is the problem (but everything with the card hooks up right).

It means that the card uses an 8 pin PCIE power connector, something the VX 450 doesn't have.
Do you have the molex to 8 pin adapter that the card is usually supplied with ?
February 24, 2010 8:36:05 PM

delluser1 said:
It means that the card uses an 8 pin PCIE power connector, something the VX 450 doesn't have.
Do you have the molex to 8 pin adapter that the card is usually supplied with ?

Yes I do. And they seem to be hooked up fine
Related resources
February 24, 2010 8:50:46 PM

Considered trying the newest bios update? Perhaps the bios doesn't recognize the board as a proper graphics card?
Anyhow you shouldnt' try running your card without the power connectors enabled. It isn't healthy.
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2010 8:52:26 PM

If the power cable is hooked up and the card doesn't work, then it may be broken.
Is there a chance that you can try it in another system ?
February 24, 2010 9:05:45 PM

neiroatopelcc said:
Considered trying the newest bios update? Perhaps the bios doesn't recognize the board as a proper graphics card?
Anyhow you shouldnt' try running your card without the power connectors enabled. It isn't healthy.

I'm sorry but I'm kinda new with this whole thing. What is a bios update?

And even if the bios doesn't recognize it, shouldn't the card fan run anyway, even if the monitor doesn't show a picture?
February 24, 2010 9:07:03 PM

delluser1 said:
If the power cable is hooked up and the card doesn't work, then it may be broken.
Is there a chance that you can try it in another system ?

Ok so just to confirm, it does run on mono. That doesn't guarantee that the card is fine?

And unfortunately, no, this is the only computer I got.
February 24, 2010 11:35:27 PM

sounds like you may have a power issue, the 3850 shouldn't take too much power though.
February 25, 2010 8:43:51 PM

gomi said:
sounds like you may have a power issue, the 3850 shouldn't take too much power though.

No the 3850 requires a 450W psu, which I have (I bought it specifically for the card)
!