Sign in with
Your question

Streaming Video crashes new computer

Last response: in CPUs
May 16, 2010 11:12:44 PM

Hi guys,

Two weeks ago I took the plunge and build my first system. Despite a few hiccups, I had the machine running well until about 3 days ago, when it started crashing arbitrarily while watching video streamed from various websites (ustream, livestream, youtube). What happens is the video and sound freeze, and sometimes I'll get a brief BSOD before it reboots or shuts down.

As far as I can tell, it shouldn't be an overheating issue. I've using an antec 900 and aftermarket cooler, but this still happens even though the computer is at all stock speeds and not running anything particularly intensive.

The processor is an AMD Phenom II x4 955, gpu is HIS radeon HD5850, ram is OCZ AMD BE 2x2, and the motherboard is ASUS M4A890GTD PRO/USB3, with Windows 7.

Is there any type of diagnostic tool I can run to pinpoint where the issue is coming from? I've read various forums and topics, but there's so much information that I don't know where to start, and am quite frankly frustrated by the whole thing.

Thanks for any help.
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2010 11:39:20 PM

I would try to see if my Adobe flash was current first or could be corrupted.
I'd also try to see if there was any malware which could give some problems.
Also see if all your drivers(especially sound card drivers on the motherboard) were updated.
Check the ASUS forums especially about that motherboard to see if there was an issue.Just some suggestions not sure if it will solve your problem.
m
l
May 17, 2010 12:19:18 AM

jj463rd said:
I would try to see if my Adobe flash was current first or could be corrupted.
I'd also try to see if there was any malware which could give some problems.
Also see if all your drivers(especially sound card drivers on the motherboard) were updated.
Check the ASUS forums especially about that motherboard to see if there was an issue.Just some suggestions not sure if it will solve your problem.

Hey, thanks.

Unfortunately those don't seem to be the issues. The drivers/BIOS/Flash are all up to date, and there's no similar issue anywhere on the ASUS forums for the board that I can see.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 17, 2010 1:01:44 AM

It's pretty hard to diagnose the problem when not in person.
By the way is your power supply sufficient to power your system with the current components.I would still check for malware and or a virus.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 17, 2010 1:08:54 AM

csav said:
Hi guys,

Two weeks ago I took the plunge and build my first system. Despite a few hiccups, I had the machine running well until about 3 days ago, when it started crashing arbitrarily while watching video streamed from various websites (ustream, livestream, youtube). What happens is the video and sound freeze, and sometimes I'll get a brief BSOD before it reboots or shuts down.

As far as I can tell, it shouldn't be an overheating issue. I've using an antec 900 and aftermarket cooler, but this still happens even though the computer is at all stock speeds and not running anything particularly intensive.

The processor is an AMD Phenom II x4 955, gpu is HIS radeon HD5850, ram is OCZ AMD BE 2x2, and the motherboard is ASUS M4A890GTD PRO/USB3, with Windows 7.

Is there any type of diagnostic tool I can run to pinpoint where the issue is coming from? I've read various forums and topics, but there's so much information that I don't know where to start, and am quite frankly frustrated by the whole thing.

Thanks for any help.

Hmmm...... certainly puzzling.

Whats your ram voltage setting? normal DDR3 ram is set 1.5v but from the Ram i see on OZC that looks like what you described

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_pc3_12...

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_pc3_12...

it require 1.65v. it maybe your problem. If it is, then all you have to do is go into your bios and increase it to 1.65v
m
l
!