TianRunty

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Hey guys
I'm hoping to over clock my Phenom ii 955 BE to about 4Ghz (I've yet to look into exactly how much the 955 can take) in the near future but I can't seem to work out what's best for less when it comes to heatsinks.

I'm considering getting the Noctua NH-D14 but what I was wondering is if I got the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo and added another fan/changed the fans to better ones would I still be good enough to get low enough temps?

I'm not sure what fans would be best and if it would bump the price up to the cost of the d14 anyway but I seen that as an option on another thread.

Also would either of these actually fit in my Antec 300 case?

Any help would be great.

Aug 13, 2012
The Hyper 212 is a PHENOMenal cpu cooler for the price, I have one myself. The NH-D14 is really expensive and I would only get that if I was OC'ing a lot and need the cooling. Adding another fan to the 212 will decrease the temps by 1-3C. Not really worth it IMO, the fan that comes with it is already great and quiet. I currently have it in a pull setup, where the fan is pulling air through the heatsink and exhausting back out of the case. In my case it decreased the amount of dust that accumulated on my fans. When I had it in push there was just too much dust on the edge of the fan blades. Hope this helps.

TianRunty

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
I'm not sure what would class as overclocking a lot for my CPU, I've yet to look into it. I have the money atm to get the new cooler hence my jumping for it suddenly lol
I don't mind spending a little more to gain a lot but at the same time I don't want to spend more than I have to

ocmusicjunkie

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
I would make a sincere argument that the Xiagmatek Gaia is a superior cooler to the Hyper 212 Evo, and it's for sale on Newegg for $20. I can show you screencaps I've posted here of both a 2-hour stress test @4ghz that never exceeded 48c, and of a 4.55ghz stable OC that still stays below 55c at all times. And that's just with a second fan identical to the stock one- it runs silent compared to my case fans.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CEsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.newegg.com%2FProduct%2FProduct.aspx%3FItem%3DN82E16835233082&ei=nvPqUI2XJeHxiwKuwIGgAQ&usg=AFQjCNHKqvPjMqHtghLZ8DGCc9BNXFhM7A&sig2=EB4-xpjZAitWvtVu_3K_wg&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.cGE

:hello: