Sign in with
Your question

CPU/GPU issues

Last response: in CPUs
May 16, 2010 11:41:04 PM

I have posted this topic in this section because I believe my problem may be CPU related. If there is any additional information that I can supply please let me know and I will reveal as much as possible.

The problem is that my PC has become unresponsive when running applications, such as games. Some games that it was able to run previously such as counter strike source are having difficulty achieving playable frame rates while others are unable to start because of the extreme lag.

For example, when I play Starcraft 2 beta the game will not even make it to the log on screen without massive amounts of lag and crashing the GPU. When playing left for dead, the game will load, the game will get to the actual game then the GPU will crash and the ATI GPU recovery will recover it. While all of this is happening the CPU is running at 100%.

I would assume that my PC is junk and I need to upgrade a few things but the real mystery is that my buddy built an identical PC except the video card is an older one. It may an ATI x800 or something. This PC of his plays these games (at lower resolutions) fine without a failing GPU. I suspect that either my CPU is dying or my GPU is too new for the CPU and mainboard and causes errors with newer games. System Specs are as follows...

Microsoft Windows XP SP3
Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz
3.25 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 4870
750W PSU
MSI Mainboard 945GCM478 (socket 478 intel 945GC Express Chipset Based)

** I have tried to update drivers to no avail

I guess my question is about why my PC is not able to run programs and has become sluggish on some older ones. Maybe there is something simple I am missing. Thank you in advance for any help.

More about : cpu gpu issues

a b à CPUs
May 17, 2010 1:34:04 AM

flux2187 said:
I have posted this topic in this section because I believe my problem may be CPU related. If there is any additional information that I can supply please let me know and I will reveal as much as possible.

The problem is that my PC has become unresponsive when running applications, such as games. Some games that it was able to run previously such as counter strike source are having difficulty achieving playable frame rates while others are unable to start because of the extreme lag.

For example, when I play Starcraft 2 beta the game will not even make it to the log on screen without massive amounts of lag and crashing the GPU. When playing left for dead, the game will load, the game will get to the actual game then the GPU will crash and the ATI GPU recovery will recover it. While all of this is happening the CPU is running at 100%.

I would assume that my PC is junk and I need to upgrade a few things but the real mystery is that my buddy built an identical PC except the video card is an older one. It may an ATI x800 or something. This PC of his plays these games (at lower resolutions) fine without a failing GPU. I suspect that either my CPU is dying or my GPU is too new for the CPU and mainboard and causes errors with newer games. System Specs are as follows...

Microsoft Windows XP SP3
Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz
3.25 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 4870
750W PSU
MSI Mainboard 945GCM478 (socket 478 intel 945GC Express Chipset Based)

** I have tried to update drivers to no avail

I guess my question is about why my PC is not able to run programs and has become sluggish on some older ones. Maybe there is something simple I am missing. Thank you in advance for any help.

well, right away, some people would of mentioned that your cpu is underpowered to run the gpu and some of these new games.

Although scene you also mention that you've run games just fine before, i would guess the cpu and/or the gpu are overheating. Maybe there heat sinks are clogged with dust and just need blown out with a can of compressed air or the cpu thermal compound is old and needs replaced.
m
l
May 17, 2010 5:00:41 AM

Check ur task manager. U may have some malware crap than drains ur CPU.....
m
l
Related resources
a c 133 à CPUs
May 17, 2010 5:08:15 AM

The CPU is a little bottleneck but shouldn't be too bad to the point you cant play check temps and see if there is any malware or some other programs in your task manager under processes stealing all your resources. Most likely its malware.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 17, 2010 6:29:41 PM

You should also check your psu. Maybe it's not providing enough power to the gpu (even though its rated @ 750W)
m
l
!