Files are reported larger than they should

DrGerm

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
I'm trying to sove a problem, which I'm searching and just can't seem to figure this out on my own.

I have a drive, which I think was causing my home server to fail/crash and so I took it out and was recovering my data and noticed that the files are being reported as much larger than they should.

For instance, this is 1TB drive, but when I select all the folders and check properties, it lists 7.7TB total.

I find that this might be caused by "cross linking" but I can't find how to really determine this. Furthermore, the "fix" is supposed to be chkdsk, but I ran this with both the /f and /r (from a command line with administrator priv in Win 7) but still same problem.

Some more background: this drive is formatted in NTFS and has two partitions (the second is the one with my data). I'm accessing this through an eSATA enclosure.

Questions:
1. What could cause this problem?
2. How do I test/find out what the specific problem is?
3. How do I fix the problem so that I can go ahead and then copy it over to my new drive?

Thanks!

Odd, the seatools manual says it works with x64 at leat for XP, Did you download the newest version. this is taken directly from the seatools manual i just downloaded.

9. System Requirements

32-bit or 64-bit Windows XP or greater

Microsoft .NET Framework v4.0 Available for download (approximately 48 MB) from www.microsoft.com. Search the site for .NET 4.0 or go directly here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17718

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable (included with SeaTools for Windows Setup)

VGA 1024x768 or higher graphics capability

The ARIALUNI.TTF font is required to view Asian languages.

DrGerm

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010

OK, I'll try again when I get home, but I tried about a month ago (when I was initially working up the problem with why my server was having problems) and received an error message when I would try to run the application. At that time I found info that the error may have been due to not running on 64 bit Win 7 - but maybe that was wrong; I just looked at the user manual and it does state "32-bit or 64-bit Windows XP or greater" under system requirements.

DrGerm

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010

Ya, so I downloaded the latest version and installed and when I run I get an error message "Index and length must refer to a location within the string...."

Whatever the heck that means... but when I searched on this before, I came up with hints that it's an issue with running on this OS.

So, I'm still at square one as in the original post...