Sign in with
Your question

Files are reported larger than they should

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
March 29, 2012 1:14:21 AM

I'm trying to sove a problem, which I'm searching and just can't seem to figure this out on my own.

I have a drive, which I think was causing my home server to fail/crash and so I took it out and was recovering my data and noticed that the files are being reported as much larger than they should.

For instance, this is 1TB drive, but when I select all the folders and check properties, it lists 7.7TB total.

I find that this might be caused by "cross linking" but I can't find how to really determine this. Furthermore, the "fix" is supposed to be chkdsk, but I ran this with both the /f and /r (from a command line with administrator priv in Win 7) but still same problem.

Some more background: this drive is formatted in NTFS and has two partitions (the second is the one with my data). I'm accessing this through an eSATA enclosure.

Questions:
1. What could cause this problem?
2. How do I test/find out what the specific problem is?
3. How do I fix the problem so that I can go ahead and then copy it over to my new drive?

Thanks!

More about : files reported larger

March 29, 2012 11:26:39 AM

I'll add that this is a Seagate drive and I considered running the Seatools utility, however, that program does not run on 64 bit windows.
m
l
a c 392 G Storage
March 29, 2012 12:09:58 PM

Odd, the seatools manual says it works with x64 at leat for XP, Did you download the newest version. this is taken directly from the seatools manual i just downloaded.

9. System Requirements

32-bit or 64-bit Windows XP or greater

Microsoft .NET Framework v4.0 Available for download (approximately 48 MB) from www.microsoft.com. Search the site for .NET 4.0 or go directly here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17...

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable (included with SeaTools for Windows Setup)

VGA 1024x768 or higher graphics capability

The ARIALUNI.TTF font is required to view Asian languages.
m
l
Related resources
March 29, 2012 12:45:50 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Odd, the seatools manual says it works with x64 at leat for XP, Did you download the newest version. this is taken directly from the seatools manual i just downloaded.

OK, I'll try again when I get home, but I tried about a month ago (when I was initially working up the problem with why my server was having problems) and received an error message when I would try to run the application. At that time I found info that the error may have been due to not running on 64 bit Win 7 - but maybe that was wrong; I just looked at the user manual and it does state "32-bit or 64-bit Windows XP or greater" under system requirements.
m
l
March 30, 2012 4:16:54 AM

Hawkeye22 said:

Ya, so I downloaded the latest version and installed and when I run I get an error message "Index and length must refer to a location within the string...."

Whatever the heck that means... but when I searched on this before, I came up with hints that it's an issue with running on this OS.

So, I'm still at square one as in the original post...
m
l
!