Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is there a different kind of pcie x16 slot? Can I modify a card to fit it?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 24, 2010 9:48:34 PM

Hello,
I have a Tyan mobo S2891, which has a labeled pcie x16 slot which normal pcie cards do not fit in.

link: http://www.tyan.com/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=139

As you can see, the pcie x16 slot has an xtra shorter slot as part of it.

My question: Since the card in question, a GIGABYTE GV-N220OC-1GI GeForce GT 220, has a small "lock tab" w/o any circuitry, would it be safe to carefully cut off the tab on the card, and use it?
a c 376 U Graphics card
February 24, 2010 9:51:07 PM

Interesting, I guess that would work
February 24, 2010 9:52:36 PM

michaelz23 said:
Hello,
I have a Tyan mobo S2891, which has a labeled pcie x16 slot which normal pcie cards do not fit in.

link: http://www.tyan.com/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=139

As you can see, the pcie x16 slot has an xtra shorter slot as part of it.

My question: Since the card in question, a GIGABYTE GV-N220OC-1GI GeForce GT 220, has a small "lock tab" w/o any circuitry, would it be safe to carefully cut off the tab on the card, and use it?

~~~~~~~~~~~
I forgot to mention that the graphics card tab interferes with the smaller additional slot on the mobo. The rest of the graphics card fits in the "normal" part of the pcie x16 slot. Wierd huh?

Thanks for your time,

Michael
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2010 10:47:24 PM

I know the little tabs on the right side of the PCIE slot are used to hold down the card so it cant move, the pieces on the left of the slot are new to me. Maybe in preparation of PCIE 3.0 they are going to have a similar locking mechanism that holds the card down on both sides of the PCIE slot?

Best solution

a c 172 U Graphics card
February 24, 2010 11:38:27 PM

Now that us unusual. Do you got any desposible card like a x300, break the tab on the card and plug it in and see or ask any one else who has this board. My best guess is that it is there for any proprietary cards but never have seen any that had the extra connector on the end on eBay. I look through hundreds of cards on a daily bases so I rarely see something that really stands out.
February 24, 2010 11:52:32 PM

Well after I RTFM, it lists it as "j113" which is for "riser card support". The riser card for this mobo is a right angle for 1 and 2u server chassis......mystery solved. I'm going to try cutting the tab on a geforce 7xxx series, and trying that (good idea, thanx). I'll post the results.

Cheers,

M
March 7, 2010 6:22:12 PM

Here's the results:

I sawed off the lock tab on the GIGABYTE GV-N220OC-1GI GeForce GT 220, it fits perfectly in the mobo and runs just fine. Have had it up and with updated drivers for a few days now, no issues, no log entries.

Thanks for the advice and help it was much appreciated.

-M
March 7, 2010 6:22:55 PM

Best answer selected by michaelz23.
!