Sign in with
Your question

Inexpensive Mobo's for World of Warcraft

Last response: in Motherboards
November 2, 2010 5:37:09 PM

I am upgrading my machine for the launch of Cataclysm and I have a few questions for you gurus. I currently have a couple 9600 GSO's I'd like to run side by side and I'm looking for a cheap mobo that can perform and not break my TINY bank. Ideas?
Many Thanks!
a b V Motherboard
November 2, 2010 5:44:56 PM

This is a very open-ended question, you would have to tell what CPU you currently have and what RAM you have as well. Another thing to consider is if your power supply will handle 2 x 9600 GSO's, please list all 3 here...
m
l
November 2, 2010 5:48:09 PM

I currently have a prehistoric AMD Dual core that I am replacing when I choose the new mobo. Ram will be purchased accordingly as well. The only thing I am keeping from the old build is the case and the HD. The rest is up in the air. Feel free to recommend the whole shabang! ;)  Sorry for being so vague.
m
l
Related resources
a c 108 V Motherboard
November 2, 2010 6:10:28 PM

How big or small is your budget?
Are you considering a new GPU (WoW doesn't benefit from dual GPU)?
Will your build be for anything that would be memory intensive, such as Photoshop?

WoW is a multi-threaded application, which means it supports and benefits multiple CPU cores. If you want to experience high quality, it is best to understand what you have now; what you are experiencing now; and what you think will improve with your new build.

RAM is always important, but if WoW is your main priority, 4GB is enough.

Multiple cores is a nice feature to have, as it helps the gaming experience, but i'm not sure if WoW has reached that threshold to use 6 cores, you may want to "ask a blue" (a WoW forum expression which means the Blizzard tech/rep).

GPU makes most of the difference here. Since WoW is a game, you'll want to see the colors as brilliant as possible; and you'll also want to see everything the game has to offer (in terms of display). Having a high quality GPU will certainly help.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 2, 2010 6:22:11 PM

WOW does benefit from Dual GPU and the more cores the better but 6 cores would be overkill. Please list what you're willing to spend on the Motherboard/CPU/RAM, also, please list what you have for a power supply.
m
l
November 2, 2010 6:34:50 PM

I have around 300 bucks to spend on a mobo, cpu, ram and a power supply. I have a HD, two 9600 GSO's, a case and all the small jazz. And thanks a ton guys, I'm truly in the dark here.
Regards
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 2, 2010 6:44:12 PM

$300.00 is very tough to work with for a quad-core CPU, SLI motherboard, 4 GB of RAM and a power supply to support SLI.
m
l
November 2, 2010 6:49:59 PM

YOU CAN DO EET! 350? ;) 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 2, 2010 7:13:02 PM

Motherboard: ASUS M4N75TD AM3 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - 99.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH - 79.99

Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - 89.99

CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 740 Black Edition Heka 3.0GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor HDZ740WFK3DGI - OEM - 88.99

Total is 358.96 before shipping with a decent SLI motherboard, tri-core AMD CPU, good power supply and good RAM.
m
l
November 4, 2010 12:16:46 PM

Well, I currently have...
ASUS m2n-mx se plus
AMD Phenom 8450 triple core processor (3 x 2.1ghz)
Of course, ddr2 ram due to the mobo. Are these comparable? If so, is it worth upgrading to the proposed? Many Thanks!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 4, 2010 1:52:00 PM

Well, yes, all of what i proposed will be an upgrade but more importantly, it leaves room to upgrade even further, so if you want more CPU power, you'll be able to get a Phenom II x 4 965/955 or any of the 6-core variants. The power supply will allow you to upgrade the video cards to a pair of GTX 460 1GB in SLI and the motherboard will allow for that as well. The RAM is pretty cut and dry, that RAM will be good as long as you need DDR3 RAM for Dual-Channel.
m
l
November 4, 2010 3:58:22 PM

In your opinion, what would be the best to upgrade first in regards to improving WoW performance? (And that I don't have the cash to do it all now) ;) 
m
l
a c 108 V Motherboard
November 4, 2010 4:33:36 PM

RAM and GPU are the two components that WoW depends on most. WoW is a multi-threaded game, but you won't see a significant difference with a fourth core. Also, since your mobo supports DDR2, you're better off with upgrading your GPU. Of course this assumes that you'll be replacing your mobo.
m
l
November 4, 2010 4:43:39 PM

Does that mean I can't use a video card (gpu I presume) that has anything beyond ddr2? Ex. I buy a vid card that is ddr3 and use it in my current mobo (ddr2) I apologize for my ignorance.
m
l
a c 108 V Motherboard
November 4, 2010 5:04:57 PM

Video cards have independent memory. This means that they don't use the RAM you install on your mobo. Take a look at the video cards on the market, you'll notice that they use GDDR5. The reason I suggested you upgrade your video card is so that you can improve your display now, and still keep the card for the reset of your upgrades.

For example, let's say you upgraded to a GTX 470 video card. Since this card uses a PCI-E x16 architecture, you can install it in your current mobo, and your future mobo (so long as it has a PCI-E x16 slot).
m
l
!