Sata 6gb/s vs sata 3gb/s

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • SATA
  • Build
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
March 29, 2012 5:23:40 AM

How much better will be the sata 6gb/s than sata 3gb/s ?
I'm going to build a pc and was thinking if sata 6gb/s is really great .
I would not be upgrading for at least 3 years.
Also sata 6 mobos are quite costly compared to sata 3gbs.
So what's your opinion ?

More about : sata 6gb sata 3gb

March 29, 2012 3:15:21 PM

Anyone?
m
l
March 29, 2012 3:35:22 PM

Well, the difference is pretty much obvious, SATA 6 GB/s can transfer up to 6 GB of data per second, whereas SATA 3 GB/s can do only 3 GB per second.
The difference would mainly be seen in load times for games, 6 GB/s should load up twice as fast than 3 GB/s.

PS: In fact, this is why some people buy SSDs, because they are much faster than HDDs.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
March 29, 2012 3:37:47 PM

It all depends on the type of device attached to the SATA port. If you are talking about a mechanical HDD, or an Optical drive(CD, DVD, etc) there is very little, if any difference. A mechanical HDD cannot saturate the SATA3gb/s. SSD's are another story.
m
l
a b G Storage
March 29, 2012 3:47:24 PM

clarkjd said:
It all depends on the type of device attached to the SATA port. If you are talking about a mechanical HDD, or an Optical drive(CD, DVD, etc) there is very little, if any difference. A mechanical HDD cannot saturate the SATA3gb/s. SSD's are another story.

Agreed - if you're intending to use a solid state drive for your OS, it would be worth it to look at a SATA 6gb/s. If you have no intention of doing so, gains to other peripherals would be difficult to quantify. From someone who used a SATAII solid state and upgraded to a SATAIII, it's a world of difference in day to day usage.
m
l
March 29, 2012 5:49:40 PM

Ummm..pardon me asking such silly question but what is an ssd ?
I googled it found out that it has very less space and it is quite costly.
So there must be some other imp func of an ssd.
Please explain or post a link which will explain in easy language.
(wiki is so useless for computer related terms)
m
l
a b G Storage
March 29, 2012 6:07:22 PM

SSD-- Solid State Drive. Like a big thumb drive. much faster access times than a mechanical hard drive. Great for storing the Operating system. greatly reduces boot up times.
m
l
!